Steering Wheel Nut

Dodge_48

So, where does someone find a steering wheel nut? Looks to be maybe 5/8 x 18. Does that sound right? After screwing up the nut in a related attempt, I saw the plans on how to get the old steering wheel off in this forum. Man these are tough buggers to get off. The old steering wheel is really bad, and I have a used one that is a fair bit better. A buddy of mine worked in a commercial equipment repair shop and found a brand new steering wheel that is slightly smaller in diameter (about 1-1/4" smaller), but appears to have the same shaft size, spline, etc. Even the horn button looks like the original on my '48. Anyway, about that nut........... I can't be the first guy looking for a nut, can I?

So, where does someone find a steering wheel nut? Looks to be maybe 5/8 x 18. Does that sound right?...

Parts group 19-30-18 "Steering Wheel Nut" shows part 145013 for the P7, P8, P9, P10, P11, P12, P14 and P15. The Standard Parts List shows part 145013 to be a 5/8-18 plain steel "Nut - lock, hexagon, thin, semi-finished" with an illustration that shows it looking like a castle nut.

I have a couple nuts I've removed off of some cars if you can't find one, it will take me a little time to dig one up. If your interested ill look, but im leaving Monday to head home for the summer.

If you can't find a stock one, maybe you local ACE hardware(or equivalent) or NAPA my have a 5/8-18 nut. I found a 5/8-18 bolt @ACE, so they should have the nut. You may have to grind it down to make it thinner.

At least for my truck its the same nut for the rear axle flexible brake hose. So you might be able to rob that one and use a thicker hardware store one there where it shouldnt matter as much.

I jimmied up a puller out of some scrap steel and an old gear puller I searched all morning for, then put that sucker in a bind with some decent pressure on it, and it still took 3 successively more serious whacks with 32 oz ball pein to get it to 'pop'. It jumped right back on the seat, in fact. Anyway, thanks to all for their input on the nut. I also see that they are readily available online (including some thinner ones), but the local Lowes only had the 5/8 coarse thread. I looked on eBay, and I'm wondering why I'd pay $15-$20 for something that Ace might carry for 75 cents.

Thanks again.