New guy

Suess

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomarrow is round two for the engine install. Been very busy at work so I have had no time to fiddle around with the car at all. Thanks to don, falcon, mrstory and everyone else that gave me ideas.

My battle plan is now that I do not have a steering gear box to contend with I am going to center the engine as much as possible. Also after looking closely at the tran mount I can see that my dad used a long peice of T iron and flipped a trailer hitch upside down for the mount. This will be replaced by a removable tube brace.

If everything goes as planned she will be taken in next weekend for exhaust.

It's in!!!!!!!

After a long battle, lots of cussing and some tears. I built my first set of motor mounts centered the engine, burned the hell out of myself (again). I will trailer it in tomorrow get a transmission mount done and get the exhaust plumbed in.

Things I learned.

Just because you call it a welding blanket. Does not make it a welding blanket

de06bf3a.jpg

7ffea606.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well it has been awhile so I thought an update is in order. The car went to the muffler shop. They did a great job but I will be wrapping the exhaust. I had the transmission mount built they also,did a great job. Had the drive shaft cut and balanced for $30. And finished the powder coating of the inner fenders. Hole it was out getting the work done I fixed up the shop and installed a beer tap next to the tool box. Was a great idea!!! When the car got back after a month. I went hard on her. Engine breaking fixing leaks and justl all those nickel a dime things that drive you nuts. All in all it has been a great three days of work. The bank is now completely tapped and will have to wait on upholstry. But at least she runs again. I tried to do an electric fan and it sucked.mgoing back to a mechanical fan. I will send more pics tomarrow. Hope everyone is doing well.

Suess

84A6AB01-7AD7-4AA0-B5B1-BC294F12E3F5-15534-00001516441F8151_zpse8a8dacb.jpg

6A59350B-2E8C-48F7-ADD1-D815D141F415-15534-000015164E8F1CD5_zps33bcb28d.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

1984 celebrity. You can get all the parts from auto parts store but you have to get the clamps hold down off of the donor car. Also try and get the power side hose the end will not fit in the power steering pump but a quick trip to napa and they will crimp you on a new peice for 10 bucks. Otherwise it will cost you 30-40 for a replacement hose and the extra ten for the correct fitting.

And if you can put the hose on during mock up otherwise you will have to drop the rack to get it to fit.i could not get the wrench to fit it was to close to the frame rail.

Hope this helps. If you need pics or parts list please let me know

from what i can see of the pics, that is the same rack as a 1987 thru 91 cavlier,,and if your in a yard looking that body style is more boxy then the newer cavliers,,the 87 thur 91 racks are easier to get at in a yard,,they are mounted up higher on the fire wall,,also pontiac sun bird and grand am.

i recently seen a pic of the early cavlier rack and pinion 1985 on a mopar forward looks site,,a guy with a 50 olds had one installed,,only difference on the first gen cavliers is the hyd cross lines go in the very end of the rack on the passenger side where the 85 thru 90 goes in the front of the rack in the center,,see if i can get this pic of the very early rack to post

post-2722-13585371492299_thumb.jpg

post-2722-1358537149271_thumb.jpg

The lines on mine did not go to the end of the rack. This is good to know when I was looking at the replacement rack their are two different choices for the r/p and the website had generic pictures so I wasn't sure what the difference was.

Great pics!

And my reason for using a celebrity. I could not find a cavalier anywhere at the yard.

• 2 weeks later...