Distributor Problems

Cpt.Fred

Hi everyone,

hope you're all fine!

Since spring is coming i finally found the time to drag the old 40 out of the garage and take it for a spin. Wonderful! :) Everthing ran just fine.

10251676as.jpg

After some 50km, however, i noticed a slight powerloss and shots coming out of the exhaust pipes when i stepped on the gas.

First i suspected the carburetors of being the trouble makers,

but after hours and hours of checking and measuring i can now say they're not.

I tried to set the points and found that my distributor shaft has developed a nasty end play... it's nearly impossible now to adjust anything there.

Does anyone know, where i could get a new one?

I' tempted to try the HEI ones from Langdon's, but i'm running 6V postive and intend to keep it that way if possible, so that won't work i guess.

Someone here once offered me a dizzy and i rejected, i guess i'll have to write some PMs here :rolleyes:

search engine lead me to this thread here:

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=5919&highlight=distributor+repair

very cool info, i guess i have to check the condition of the oil pump slot that drive the distributor. and i should check the adjustment of the plate on the dizzy base, since i had trouble timing the engine correctly.

It's actually quite impossible to add a proper mark to the front pulley to which

a timing light could realte, it's all so dark and narrow down there.

lot's of work to do.:rolleyes:

greetings from berlin, germany and a nice day to everyone!

Fred

Hey Tim!

Good idea, a friend here just told me the same on the phone...

Maybe i should take it apart for now and try that, but i'd still be happy

to own a spare one.

The search continues, i know they pop up on the bay from time to time,

but i haven't seen a trusty one for a long time.

Fred

Hey Tim!

Good idea, a friend here just told me the same on the phone...

Maybe i should take it apart for now and try that, but i'd still be happy

to own a spare one.

The search continues, i know they pop up on the bay from time to time,

but i haven't seen a trusty one for a long time.

Fred

Fred tell me the dizzy that you are using inthe car and I will do asearch on the bearing that is used on the dizzy.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol

Fred the Auolite bearing is IG-579A and they use two of these fits Desoto, Chrylser, Dodge, dodge truck and Plymouth from 1938-1951

The old NAPA Echlin number is 4270

I have also attached a bushing guide look at the bearing 4270 then look at the section with the measurements.

rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

Fred the Auolite bearing is IG-579A and they use two of these fits Desoto, Chrylser, Dodge, dodge truck and Plymouth from 1938-1951

The old NAPA Echlin number is 4270

I have also attached a bushing guide look at the bearing 4270 then look at the section with the measurements.

rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Your reference would indicate that the '41-'48 should use the same bearing as the others but the parts book does not. '36-'48 parts book shows '36-'48 lower bearing use 643906. Upper bearing for '36-'40 is the same 643906 but the '41-'48 are shown using part 871752.

NAPA Online shows the 643906 still crossing to Echlin 4270 but don't show a cross for 871752.

Anyone have a cross for the 871752?

Your reference would indicate that the '41-'48 should use the same bearing as the others but the parts book does not. '36-'48 parts book shows '36-'48 lower bearing use 643906. Upper bearing for '36-'40 is the same 643906 but the '41-'48 are shown using part 871752.

NAPA Online shows the 643906 still crossing to Echlin 4270 but don't show a cross for 871752.

So TodFitch did you go to the same A-hole school as Coatney?

871752 crosses to IG579D which is the same as IG579A just a difference in length. Try getting some SUPERSEDENCE books for the complete parts information than just using a parts book...as the part is listed in suoerscedence as to USE 643906..NAPA is correct YOU are WRONG .... maybe you need to have rebuilt a few hundred of these yourself before making wise cracks.

... before making wise cracks.

I wasn't trying to make wise cracks. I was trying to make sure I had accurate information before publishing something that was wrong. When I come across an apparent discrepancy I ask about it to make sure I understand the situation.

please calm down, gentlemen, i'm sure this is nothing to get itchy about!

thanks for all the info, i think i will try to order bushings from the bay - NAPA isn't available here, that's true - and then make them fit.

in the meantime i get a spare dizzy so that the car can be driven, because i know it will take me a while to change the bushings.

thanks again,

Fred

Todd,

The List that i posted came directly out of a Sorrensen Parts book and also a blue streak catalog had the same listing. I am not an expert on every car. I was just trying to help fred with the information that I had available via the various catalogs that I have collected over the past 25 years and have scanned onto CD.

I have not had the opportunity or experience to have rebulid a complete distibutor by taking it completely apart Sorry if if mislead anyone down an incorrect path.

rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Todd,

The List that i posted came directly out of a Sorrensen Parts book and also a blue streak catalog had the same listing. I am not an expert on every car. I was just trying to help fred with the information that I had available via the various catalogs that I have collected over the past 25 years and have scanned onto CD.

I have not had the opportunity or experience to have rebulid a complete distibutor by taking it completely apart Sorry if if mislead anyone down an incorrect path.

rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Rich,

I appreciate what you've posted and understand where you are coming from. I am not an expert either and have the parts books that I have (wouldn't mind more and I keep my eyes open for them).

One of my side activities is the parts database on my web site. There are undoubtedly many, many errors in it. But I'd like to minimize new ones and correct old ones. So when I come across information that seems good to add, like the distributor bushings mentioned in this thread, I want to make sure that I've got the correct Chrysler part number on the cross reference. And I can get quite pedantic about it.

I think I stepped on fatFreddie's toes early in this thread when I posted about the lack of NAPA stores in Germany. I did put a smiley on it but that was not apparently enough of a indication that gentle humor was indicated.

-Tod