Oil filter upgrade? help?

flatheadtim

I have the oil filter sealed can type its expensive and not readily available and want to replace this with either a spin-on or canister. Can anyone tell me if there is a site or place I can obtain the replcement parts?

If you have a p15 or d24 and have the bypass filter system you can get the stock type filter at most NAPA stores.

One filter is part #FIL 1080

The other is part #FIL 1010

Both are very similar. I was using the 1010 but the gasket that comes with it didnt fit my canister lid correctly. I switched to the 1080 last oil change and its a couple dollars more but the gasket is correct for my canister lid. Others report the exact opposite. Best thing to do? Bring your gasket in with you to compare. ;)

If you are set on changing to a spin on type filter, you can get an aftermarket kit to run a remote filter and adapt it to work with the flatty.

Hi Tim,

Oil filters of the canister type as pictured with the replaceable filter element can be found at swap meets and on ebay.As mentioned by PC48,the "bypass" filter elements they use are still readily available at NAPA,etc....Remote filter bases can also be found on ebay and from online suppliers or swap meets,etc...So,Tim -welcome to the forum...Just wondering, with your moniker,are you located just south of me - perchance a member of the Flathead tribe? ;)

post-423-1358536774059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

By accident I found a full flow filter available from NAPA while looking up a cross for a filter in another post. Im wondering if this is a replacement for the filters that others have had to search out on ebay and swapmeets. NAPA #FIL 1076 is the NAPA number. If you pull your filter out and there is a part number still readable on it, you can use this really cool cross reference tool from Fram.

http://www.framcatalog.com/Application.aspx?b=F