a craigslist story......

A couple weeks ago I got an email from someone on craigslist. They were responding to my ad about parts for 48-53 trucks. It started out with a few red flag remarks like:

"I live in germany", "I'll be on vacation in your area"..."if you can help me with finding the other parts, if you know so. else selling parts for this vehicle, if you know a scrap yard where I could find parts, please let me know."........

Soooo I decide it might be legit......Well...the next letter wasn't so great.

"Thanks for answering me although you were suspicious.

On CL it says you're located in Clements. Is that right? If so, the drive would be ok for me. Which parts from my list could you offer yourself and for which parts would I need to go to the wrecking yard with the lovely owner? And how much money do I have to bring along? "

I decided to let it go....it just didnt sound right.

On craigslist I don't usally respond to emails, but rather ask people through the ad to call the number posted...otherwise I get bogged down in spam/scammer mail. I've never recieved a call from a scammer. I've recieved text messages, but not an actual call. So of course, when they text'd me about being in the country I was not impressed. Again I didn't respond.

WELLLLL......She called. Her name is Christine. The number originated from San Diego. She said she was in San Francisco......hmmmm.

I decided "what the hell, bring it on". Besides, she sounded sweet. lol

After giving her the address and general directions to my ranch....I asked how many were coming. She said her Aunt and mother. I asked how old she was...27. I said "soooo....3 women from germany need to come half way around the world for old truck parts?"......"oh no....my aunt lives in San Diego and wanted to bring us up to San Fransico, I want to find parts for my truck"...

So that opened up a long conversation with a 27 year old German woman who loves her 1948 truck. She was funny, bright and quite charming. Her working knowlegde of my beloved old dodge trucks is strong. lol. It's amazing how much one learns just by taking something apart. That's exactly what she did, a real female kuckle buster! lol. The shop that sand blasted her truck, had destroyed a lot of the weaker parts.

She spent 3.5 hours at my ranch gathering everything she coud find on her list. On a side note, she ID'd a 53 caddy air cleaner I use on "The Brick" (my 50 race truck)....wow. Her Mother and Aunt were wonderful. In all, it was a fun experience and I made a new trucker friend.:D

48D

picture notes: Christine and her mom (holding the parts list), standing with a steering collum and tie rod, box of just a few parts she collected (with my help), me and my new friend (windy and cold day). lol

post-580-13585367573488_thumb.jpg

post-580-13585367574092_thumb.jpg

post-580-13585367574723_thumb.jpg

post-580-13585367575355_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great story 48D. I' glad that it all worked out well. We're all so afraid of scammers these days that it can often halt progress. It's great to see a couple of gals also interested in the old trucks! I know that my wifey secretly loves my trucks - well I like to think that she does!!!

Desotodav

Wunnerful! Did you turn her to the forum?:)

She knows about the forum but hasn't signed on....hopfully soon she will.:D

48D

that is quite the project to do from across the pond..she is lucky to have been able to make a on continent quest for parts...definitely wish her the best in her endeavor..been many years since I was in Germany but pickup trucks were not really a household item..business owned unit and more to the loory in design than our convential pick up with box bed..

Too bad she lives so far away....eh Tim. Good story.

No, no, no....she's only two years older than my daugther! lol :rolleyes:

Too she wasn't a couple weeks later - she could have attended the BBQ. Great story...

Yep, she was very dissappointed to find out how close she was to being there. To quote her response "ooooh no...don't tell me this!" :)

48D

No, no, no....she's only two years older than my daugther! lol :rolleyes:

48D

I don't know Tim. My Wife Lisa is 45 and my oldest daughter Connie is 43.

It's been working now for 18 years. :D

Dang...yeah, too bad she'll miss the BBQ.

That's right up my alley...a lady that age and likes trucks. Not too many of those types in my neck of the woods. Actually none!

Finding a looker around here would require driving a Bimmer and becoming a douche bag!

Edited by John-T-53

I don't know Tim. My Wife Lisa is 45 and my oldest daughter Connie is 43.

It's been working now for 18 years. :D

Reg...I KNEW you were gonna point that out :D, but there's a 21 year age difference...to much for me. lol

Edited by 48dodger

Great story Tim;

When are you leaving for Germany for the final assembly?

Man...wouldn't that be a great trip!

48D

• 2 years later...

Christine is on her way back to the Ranch!!!!!

She'll be here in late October to search for more parts. I plan on taking her to the wrecking yard in American Canyon.

Gotta call Jim Shepard so we can make a day of it! :lol:

48D

• Like 4

awesome!  Have her look thru the classifieds section so if there is anything she needs it can get shipped to you here in the US vs to Deutschland!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...she's on her way to my place from San Diego, Ca.....maybe 8 hours of driving.

I gave her the links to the Forum, Classifieds, Facebook Group, DPETCA, and Brian's Salvage and Junk...... 

She sez she'll join this site...I hope so! I had everything she needed in 2012 and it looks like I will have everything

this time too, judging from her list.

Looking forward to seeing her again. :)

48D