You Don't Know Jack

the ole metal swing arm style under the truck mount is very outdated and pain in the butt and hard to exact the change procedure without getting all up in the nasty crud that collect beneath the rig.  The more modern crank down  cable version is by far more civilized and was stock on a very high end sport touring car of mid 60's design albeit yet a cage.  Also they utilized the very offset wheels that did not become popular till the Early 90's.  These cable units are so nice that I even installed on my utility trailer....out of site..out of mind..easy access if needed 

that is good to know...you entry as written reminds me of a great number of folks I know that will never change a tire...that sort of labor is beneath them so they are never in danger of them being beneath the car....and knowing some of these folks as I do...it is a good thing, common sense and safety does not occupy space in their thought patterns..

well you SHOULD know I'm not afraid of getting dirty.  I've already done a few break jobs on my "new" lift in my shop!

Exceptions can be made for almost every statement.  "Off road" around here generally indicates the need for a wrecker and a body shop  If I don't end up with a fuel tank in the way, one of those winch carriers will end up holding the spare.

Here are a few shots of my modified military surplus HumVee jack.

It is about as versatile as it gets......and very good quality. I think I paid around $70 on ebay.

It is a big 'ole beast but that is ok with me. I really like the large baseplate and the ratchet handle. Perfect for the job.

Off road here is the Mojave Desert and places like it. There are hundreds of miles of good dirt roads and jeep trails that this truck should be able to handle. I will be taking this truck out there to do some camping and riding this winter and hope to even visit Death Valley with it. Flats are more common in this sort of terrain than on pavement. Lots of sharp rocks, cactus and mining debris. Been there.....done that....and forget about AAA. You need a good set of tools and plenty of spares and water on board. As long as you are not in a hurry there is a ton of neat stuff to explore......and it is probably much safer out there than on our freeways. :D I have a GoPro and will post trip videos later this year.

Jeff

post-4710-0-13357600-1441151966_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-16573000-1441151975_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-31835700-1441151983_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-38147400-1441151993_thumb.jpg

ANSI = AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE = An engineering organization that over sees and (helps) identify product standards. 

----------------------------------------------------

OHV = Off Highway Vehicle = Common OHVs include all terrain vehicles (ATVs), dirt bikes, sand rails, recreation utility vehicles (RUVs), golf carts, snowmobiles, go carts, jeeps, and 4x4s.

NEV (lane) = Neighborhood Electric Vehicles = golf carts, etc.

LSV  (lane) = Low Speed Vehicles = Can fall into same class as NEV, includes all bikes, horse drawn carriages, usually slower than 25 mph. 

OFF-ROAD = What happens to slow cars that are in your way when you are seriously late for work.

48D  :lol:

• Like 1

I just spent some time catching up on this thread.  I am still trying to figure out how Mark would handle a STRANGER hauling his truck down the road when he almost had the big one when his Nephew touched his truck improperly!!  I am thinking he might make the AAA driver cry. 

• Like 3

I just spent some time catching up on this thread.  I am still trying to figure out how Mark would handle a STRANGER hauling his truck down the road when he almost had the big one when his Nephew touched his truck improperly!!  I am thinking he might make the AAA driver cry. 

hey standing on the pretty running board with dirty shoes....that's a pretty serious offense!

I wonder what Great Grandad would think if he heard this?

I am guessing he didn't give much thought to getting it a little dirty. :D It's a truck....Ain't ya 'spose to get um dirty?

you all well know FEF ain't a trailer king, but I DO try to keep him as pretty as possible...he's more of a LIGHT pony work truck not a workhorse

you all well know FEF ain't a trailer king, but I DO try to keep him as pretty as possible...he's more of a LIGHT pony work truck not a workhorse

I reckon he's more of a Clydesdale horse Mark..... big and SLOW !!!

Sorry, you left yourself wide open there!

• Like 2

FEF is no longer a work horse farm truck. He is now a pampered show truck, although as Mark said he is not a trailer queen/king. He does get driven (slowly). And I still suspect that he is solar powered. Todd and I had to work hard on Mark to get him to drive it in the rain. Maybe FEF won't run without a little sunshine. :P

Merle

• Like 2

Too funny. :)
Great Grandfather is probably rolling over? I am not suggesting that he abuse it........but it is really good to see them doing a little work and getting a bit dirty. Besides that will give him an opportunity to polish it up again.

I have a lot of really old tools and machinery in my shop and they get used most every day. It is good for them and for me. My circa 1930 jointer still does a great job trueing up boards. It is an old friend and I can't imagine life without it. It also serves as a reminder to all that we used to build the greatest machinery on earth. None of this would mean much as a static & pampered museum display. When you use it all the time it puts a different perspective on it. And if it gets a bit dirty....no big deal.

Jeff

• Like 1

we done bashing yet  ;)  FEF is FEF, he'll never really be used for anything, now that I live int eh "country" and even my daily driver is at a minimum 20 minutes from anything, FEF would be 30.

Now TODD....

Like Jeff said, teasing not bashing. FEF is an awesome example of a great Dodge truck restoration. I fully respect the work that you put into him and I understand why you treat him the way you do. I didn't build mine that way. I wanted to keep it as close to stock as possible, but I wanted to be able to drive it around without worrying about what may happen. (I even smucked a deer this summer and laughed it off) And Jeff built his to be a daily driver. So its sort of like our sports team rivalries. We just need to bust your chops about having such a nice truck and babying it to keep it that way, or for being a Gopher fan, or a Viqueen fan. ;)

Merle