You Don't Know Jack

Has anyone found one of the #630 flip top screw jacks like I posted in a 1/2 or 3/4 ton PU?

The 2-3/4 thru 4 ton trucks had an accessory hydraulic jack listed in the Dodge truck fact book for 1952.

This jack?.......

post-302-0-08655100-1441044498_thumb.jpg

So, I finally had a chance to snap a couple pictures of the jack I found at the Restore. It's not like the ones Bob and Mark have, but it's certainly a vintage jack. I haven't even tested it to see if it works.

At a $7.50 price tag I couldn't pass it up.

Handle is a bit different, but the jack looks very much the same as the one that was in my '33 Plymouth when I got it. I don't have a way to verify it, but I think there is a chance my jack is original to the car.

Merle, I think this is like your jack....you got a good deal on it!

post-302-0-15256500-1441077130_thumb.jpg

Yup, that looks the same. Doesn't look like they have the handle for it.

I assume you would use your lug wrench on the end of the handle? That's the part I don't have for it. I suppose I should see what size hex is on that end.

I carry a 4 way lug wrench since I have 2 different size lug nuts after the disc brake conversion. I wonder how that would work with the jack? Maybe I'll have to test it one of these days.

Merle

So, I finally had a chance to snap a couple pictures of the jack I found at the Restore. It's not like the ones Bob and Mark have, but it's certainly a vintage jack. I haven't even tested it to see if it works.

2B7B7118-427B-4CD8-9E6B-E36D1207D04D_zps

At a $7.50 price tag I couldn't pass it up.

5C957BA4-105C-4473-9529-7ED6BECB8BC8_zps

pretty sure I picked up a "handle" like that at a yard one day out of a older Dodge or Plymouth truck

I have AAA and flat bed truck tow trucks!

while that does work...I am usually down the road many miles before they can arrive...they are great for those hard failures to proceed..that is the common phase for Rolls Royce in the day...they never broke down per the factory..they only failed to proceed...

Jacks are one thing, but I guess either because my mom told me it is not polite to ask or i'm just afraid to ask guys with one arm how it happened...and it seems everybody's heard a story about someones father being killed by a car falling on them and because I would not like to be under my truck during an eathquake in California....I'm in to redundancy for safety's sake (in other words I'm buk buk buk...I'm chicken). Jack stands are o.k. but a combination of wood blocks 6x10 large and 2x4 small is what makes me feel safe. (especially with one of those 2 ton made in China jacks... Merle).  I do like the idea of a screw-type mechanism in lieu of my bottle jack. and carry a 3 piece wood block road kit behind my truck seat.

Hank :eek:   

what ever happened to the phrase,     joys of ownership

again, would be way down the road by the time the truck would arrive...

you guys are funny, I have a 2 ton hydraulic jack in FEF for a potential flat.  But for the other stuff...AAA back to my shop!

the big picture is to use the jack to lift...the stand for safety support..it is wise to be afraid to some degree... it will heighten you sense of awareness and need to proceed with caution...that is why he carries the much safer though made in China jack..the footprint of the mechanism is larger and thus less likely to shift...a bumper jack is a accident with a count down timer on it...scissor jacks an improvement but still one that would best be used for flat level hard surface..never underestimate the value of a plank of wood under any jack to even the playing field with respect to shifting...mums cannot and will not always be on the scene to hold your hand...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

While I have not yet needed a jack during a roadside emergency with my truck, that little floor jack has seen use at a couple of WPC meets to help others with parking lot repairs.

And I also agree with Hank. NEVER go under a vehicle that is only supported by a jack.

you guys are funny, I have a 2 ton hydraulic jack in FEF for a potential flat.  But for the other stuff...AAA back to my shop!

that is good to know...you entry as written reminds me of a great number of folks I know that will never change a tire...that sort of labor is beneath them so they are never in danger of them being beneath the car....and knowing some of these folks as I do...it is a good thing, common sense and safety does not occupy space in their thought patterns..

Changing a tire generally doesn't require a trip under the truck.......if you have a side mount spare. Another good reason to ditch the under mount spare carrier. I hate those things!!! Besides.....nothing evokes that vintage era look more than a side mount spare. Was a good idea back in the day.....and in my opinion it is still the best way to go. Also in a pinch the spare can be used as a safety cushion under the frame if you do have to go under the truck with a wheel off. It isn't a bad habit to do this during any tire change involving a jack.

Jeff

Dropping an under the frame spare BEFORE lifting the vehicle is as safe as the side mount.  It is then ready to be installed on the vehicle as soon as the flat  one is off, minimizing the time it is sitting on a  jack.  The flat can then be placed back under the frame, if desired, or in the bed, AFTER it is safely resting on the ground.

• Like 1

That is true enough Dave. I have seen situations where the flat is on the rear where the truck might have to jacked up just to get the spare off.

Also not a lot of fun getting one off in the best of times...add in rain....mud....and snow? Well you see where this is going. Side mounts just make more sense. And off road? ;) Well it doesn't even bear thinking about.

Jeff