You Don't Know Jack

Now there's a catchy Thread Title....and the thing of it is neither do I.

What I'm referring to is; I don't think I've ever seen what type of Jack our trucks came equipped with and I'm real curious if anyone has the original jack or for that matter the original tool-set that might have come with our trucks.

I have an original lug nut wrench and a tire spoon. I know DesotoDave has some original cranks, but I'm interested to see what's out there. Was there ever a leatherette roll-up case for these tools? Was there a standard tookkit and were there any kits available as assessories?

and remember: If it's a Mopar, it's a Mystery,

Hank :)

Edited by HanksB3B
  • Like 1

I'll post a pic of my jack when I get home.....as far as I know it is the original

<2012-03-21150731.jpg

Edited by ggdad1951

I have a collection of old jacks down at the shed, but I am still missing the one that I believe is correct for our trucks (see pictures 1 and 2)...

The 3rd picture is of a jack that I saw for sale on Epay a while ago which was advertised as a 48-53 Dodge truck jack.

I'd love to find out which jack is correct for our trucks - maybe I already have a couple of them in my shed?

Desotodav

post-7583-13585367344432_thumb.jpg

post-7583-1358536734469_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585367344978_thumb.jpg

I know that the heavier B Series Dodge trucks had an optional jack offered and it was a hydraulic jack. Stated in the Dodge truck equipment price book. No pictures though.

Bob

• 4 months later...

I recently read Bill's post on Aussie Chryslers... http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=33431 .. (thanks for posting Bill) and found it very interesting with regard to my old truck jack.

I had wondered whether the jack that I had photographed a while back was actually the correct jack for my Australian truck. I am yet to find a truck over this way with the jack still stored under the seat (the usual hiding place).

The jack that I photographed belonged to a fella who's father owned a fleet of old Dodge/Fargo trucks for his foundry back in the 50's. In his opinion, the truck jacks were so good that people would often remove them from the trucks and use them for other vehicles.

It would appear that the decal on the front of the jack (see photo) would indicate 'Chrysler Dodge Desoto Distributors'. This company was registered here in Oz from 01/10/47 (formerly Richards Industries Limited) to 30/06/51 (changed to Chrysler Australia Limited).

I find that this now makes better sense of why the jacks in the USA would appear very different from mine here in Oz. I have managed to find a couple of similar jacks for my trucks now (photos attached), but the search is still on for that ever elusive NOS quality one.

The flip-top head on the original jack appears to assist with the ground clearance variation between the front and rear axle. It would also appear that there were different versions of the jack made here in the land of Oz.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585370104909_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585370105348_thumb.jpg

I have a collection of old jacks down at the shed, but I am still missing the one that I believe is correct for our trucks (see pictures 1 and 2)...

The 3rd picture is of a jack that I saw for sale on Epay a while ago which was advertised as a 48-53 Dodge truck jack.

I'd love to find out which jack is correct for our trucks - maybe I already have a couple of them in my shed?

Desotodav

I'm doubting that third one, since it looks like a dead ringer for the jack that came in my 74 D200 when it was new.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have no literature showing a factory dodge truck jack. I do remember five or more years ago on here that there was a thread about what was the original jack.

I found one (maybe factory equipment) complete with the correct handle and Budd wrench too out of a one owner B3GA truck this past weekend.

Model #630... by "Auto Car" ?

Has anyone got any factory pics or have the same jack they think could have come with their truck?

Here's some pictures of the one I pulled out of a low mileage original truck. It works well and would lift the rear axle on my 4 tonner!

post-302-0-90909600-1440711756_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-14281100-1440711780_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-46585200-1440711816_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-97267000-1440712895_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This the first I've seen of that model..... :huh:

I'll have to check the "trunks" of my 1.5 tonners and see If I have any parts of that thar truck jack

48D

This is interesting. I often wondered what the original jacks looked like. I found an old jack, a little different than shown here, at a Habitat for Humanity Restore a while back and bought it because it looked cool. I'll have to get a picture of it to add. I remember thinking, at the time, that I would post about it and ask if it was close to the original jacks. Since I can't find that I took a picture of it I must not have posted about it either.

Now I just need to remember to dig it out and snap a picture when I get home tonight. :huh:

I wonder if the same jack is used in the 1/2 thru the 2-1/2 ton trucks?

I think it is too light duty for the 2-3/4 - 4 ton trucks.

This the first I've seen of that model..... :huh:

I'll have to check the "trunks" of my 1.5 tonners and see If I have any parts of that thar truck jack

48D

CA got different jacks....we all know how much you LOVE being different!  :P

knowing MY family, they didn't pop for a different jack, but faithfully kept the one the truck came with.  So I think that is "correct" for these trucks.

well shoot, I thought one of my b3b's came with the correct jack (obviously not) post-6005-0-27984200-1440790332_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-38883100-1440790335_thumb.jpg

now I know what to keep my eye out for, thanks Bob

ggdad1951, I think you just gave someone a new target for the "lawn darts" :D

Merge em...

Dad had a 38 Chevy truck , a new 47 ford 1.5. And a new '53 ford fat fender, my school car. I don't recall any jacks of these types on the farm. We had hydraulic jacks, cars had bumper jacks though. Maybe jacks were optional, people are different, so let the consumer choose what he prefers. JM2cents worth.