Arctic Adventure

bamfordsgarage

We're heading out this morning in the '47 D25 on our Arctic Adventure to Tuktoyaktuk, a community of about 900 at the end of the most northerly road in mainland Canada and well north of the Arctic Circle. The all-weather road only goes to Inuvik, and Tuk is a further 112 miles northeast up the ice road over the frozen MacKenzie River delta and the Beaufort Sea. Our route has us up the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse and then the Dempster Highway to Inuvik. The last 485 miles of the Dempster is 485 miles of shale gravel — they say it can be hard on headlights and windshields — and there is one stretch along here with no gas for 250 miles. We return by way of Juneau, AK and Prince George, BC. Total mileage about 4,600 plus side trips and wrong turns. We expect to be home by April 2.

The weather in Edmonton this morning is a balmy 29°F, while Tuk is enjoying a rather chillier -36°F. That ice road is not melting anytime soon.

I'll post daily reports depending on internet availability. Our destination today is my sister's place in Beaverlodge AB 300 miles away. Their acreage has primitive internet so there may be no update until Sunday evening.

The car is ready to go. Knock on wood. We finished our break-in milage yesterday after an extensive engine rebuild with a trip down to Stan Reynolds Sales in Wetaskiwin, AB (photos below). The late Stan was a WW2 pilot and accomplished businessman/horsetrader who amassed an enormous collection of transportation equipment and other artifacts. Much of his collection was donated to the Province of Alberta years ago and formed the basis of the world-class Reynolds Alberta Museum. Read more here: http://www.history.alberta.ca/reynolds/about/stanreynolds/stanreynolds.aspx

Most of the remaining Reynolds collection has been sold, but the yard still has close to 100 cars and a lot of what is now just scrap metal. The remaining cars are all basically parts cars (but only sold as complete units, no pick-yer-part). The decent GM and Ford stuff is long gone and the remainder is heavily post-war Mopar. I bought a parts car here in 2010 and had my choice of a dozen P15/D25s.

Here are a few shots of the Reynolds yard. There is a three-pedal '46 Chrysler out back that a friend thought might have an overdrive transmission, based on wiring at the carburetor, although there is no handle inside and we can't look underneath until the ground thaws. I've posted a picture of the carb — does this look like it might be overdrive-related?

post-2848-13585367161201_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585367161588_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585367162014_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585367162388_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585367162806_thumb.jpg

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here’s most of what we’re taking on the trip in hopes of not being caught short when problems arise. Not shown are a distributor cap, two more spare headlights, three jerry cans, assorted fluids, and copious warm clothing, insulated overalls, heavy boots, etc. etc.

We're carrying five studded knobby tires (four loose) which we'll have mounted when we get closer to snow. We have two mounted spare tires — one knobby, one regular — an extra rim and seven tubes. Gotta love that roof rack!

post-2848-13585367163171_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585367163579_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585367163961_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585367164407_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585367164886_thumb.jpg

I want to wish you well on your adventure..this is stuff the majority of we forum members can but dream of doing...I find it hard to get away from the house for very long and thus I hope you allow us all to share your adventure by many many posts and pictures..good luck..drive carefully..

Chris and Jerry, although you have done some amazing trips already, this one may well be the trip of a lifetime! I will live through you vicariously as you post your updates. Good luck and take care.

Robert

Chris and Jerry' date='

Have a safe and enjoyable trip, I will be looking forward to the updates.

I spent a year 200 miles above the Artic Circle at a radar site called Cape Lisbourne from Oct of '70 to Oct of '71

Bob[/quote']

I have been there. We flew in on a small prop plane and landed right next to the beach. The spray from the waves was cold getting off the plane. Definetly remote.

It was a pleasure meeting you guys at Hershey last year but I am afraid that I won't be meeting you in the Arctic :). Have a safe trip and I hope that the internet finds it's way up there.

Phil

We'll all be watching and living the trip with every post you make wishing it where us in the saddle.

Here's to safe travels and Gods speed when you need it!

Hello all, Day 1, Edmonton AB to Beaverlodge AB, 315 miles, 18.2 mpg Cdn (16.5 mpg US) at 50 mph +/- cruising. Loaded weight 4,817 lb. Passed one vehicle today. Car running like a clock (everybody please knock on wood!)

We left Edmonton about 10:30 AM under sunny skies but with a forecast of heavy wet snow near our destination. It seemed prudent to get the snow tires on early and we stopped in Whitecourt for a quick changeover. Three hours later we were back on the road as the tire shop had a great deal of difficulty getting the new tires installed. We finally decided to mount them all as tubeless and the big challenge was getting the beads to seat on the rim upon first inflation. These 600x16 Knobbies want to come together at the bead when unmounted and no amount of air blasting was going to fix that. The solution was to bind and tighten a rope around the circumference to force the beads apart (Jerry’s idea) and then pack ginormous gobs of tire-mounting soap into the bead area to trap the air until the tire seated. New to me, this is apparently a technique used regularly for big truck tires.

Good thing we got those tires on early — we hit wet drifting snow near Grand Prairie and they are forecasting as much as 8” here by morning. My summer tires would be useless in that mess. Tirewise, we now have five studded knobbies mounted (one spare), one mounted spare summer tire, four loose summer tires, seven tubes (six new) and a pair of chains.

We’re spending the night at my sister’s place where her husband Bob has been working several years next door on their dream home, which is completely off the grid (including shop and out buildings) and run primarily on solar electric and wind power with occasional diesel backup.

Tomorrow we’ll hit the first McDonalds WiFi to file this report and head on up the Alaska Highway to Fort Nelson.

Photos: Hey, we passed someone!; Tire guy Conrad’s first time climbing on a customer car; Trying to get the bead seated; Bead soap by the bucketful; Brother-in-law Bob showing battery bank and controllers.

post-2848-1358536717056_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585367171018_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585367171438_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585367171818_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585367200898_thumb.jpg

Glad to see you and Jerry are underway-an enviable trip for sure.I looked at a webcam in a location you will likely pass through today.The winter tires were installed in a timely manner....light traffic noted on the highway :)

http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/125.html