Just curious...

Captain Bucket

Well i'm in texas and because it wasnt over 90 degrees today :D I was out working on my car. After I replaced the generator brushes (i found out that one brush wasnt even hooked up :eek: ) the battery to ground, the battery to soleniod, the solenoid to starter and the solenoid itself (i broke it) i tried to turn it over and it started almost instantly (like 3 to 5 seconds), i was amazed. I tried it again and same thing 3 to 5 seconds. I was just wondering if this was normal.

My car will start that quick if its been run "recently" - within a week or two - and will always start that quick once its warmed up. Getting it to wake up after a long slumber is a different story, that usually takes a few sessions of 3-5 seconds of cranking. The colder it is, and the longer it sat, the more sessions it takes. (It's still running 6v.)

Since I put the electric fuel pump on, it will fire after about 5 or 6 compression strokes. I'm happy. I enjoyed the honesty of Captain Bucket when he said "I broke it" referring to his solenoid. Captain Bucket, do you enjoy the British sit-coms, and would you prefer to be called " Captain Bookay"?

I enjoyed the honesty of Captain Bucket when he said "I broke it" referring to his solenoid. Captain Bucket, do you enjoy the British sit-coms, and would you prefer to be called " Captain Bookay"?

Lol I dont think I have ever even seen a British sit-com, and I dont really care what you call me :D I have that name because people were jokingly calling my car "A bucket of bolts" so I decided to keep it, but add a "Captain" to it, that will show them :D

A flathead six in top shape will start in 1 or 2 seconds. By that I mean, good compression on all cylinders, clean spark plugs, carburetor and choke working correctly.

Watch some old movies from the forties and fifties, they start right up like a fuel injection car. This was normal then and should be now. I have had old motors that would start like that, after a thorough tuneup and putting everything back to factory specs. Not all of them, unfortunately.

last time it took a couple of hours of TLC....

Now, with the gas still in the carburetor she will start up after one short burst.

I do have an electric gas pump that will run for a couple of seconds.

Sparkplugs need to be changed though.

I am every ttime impressed how easy these cars can start.

It made a huge difference after I cleaned all the wire connections.

John

Welcome aboard "Captain Bouquet"...Glenda is looking good,glad to hear she's running well :D

My 1948 Chrysler Royal starts like a gun shot. Its still a 6 volt, and I run it once a week about 25-30 miles around 45-55 mph on country roads.

The trick is to set the timing just right - you will know when your there.

For my C-38 6 cylinder its about 4 degrees advanced from service manual specification. Of course it helps to keep a new battery in it every 3 years and new plugs every year etc.

I can tell you once you learn your car (pump gas when cold) then crank etc you shouldn't have any trouble starting these Old Flatheads up.

Like Grandpa used to say: use it or lose it. That applies to just about anything LOL :D