Door glass patterns?

Hi Guy's

I was wondering if anyone has patterns or drawings of the glass that goes in our doors. I have a 52 B-3-C that has vent windows which are intact and can be used as patterns to have new glass cut. I am looking for something to use as a pattern for the roll up section of glass.....all that is left of mine is a small chunk. :mad:

A complete truck is a long way off......but I am trying to get the fit and function of the doors sorted out before doing any paint prep.

Thanks, Jeff

if you go to a good glass cutter they have the actual specs on file and larger shop's glass are cut by machine...the dealer I use extensively for old glass not only cuts my glass but the side and rear glass (if flat) is also sent out to be heat treated to temper the glass for ultimate safety..set of 9 new glass panel, 7 heat treated, setting tape, S&H + tax was under 430.00 and there are in gray tint..

Hi Mark;

That would be great. I have a commercial account with a large glass supplier.

If I give them patterns they will make these up for me at cost. I have good corner windows....so nothing too fancy required. The rest is all flat and I have them all covered.

Btw.....I had a cousin who I had not seen since we were kids visit this last weekend. She lives on an old farm outside of Buffalo, Mn.......is that anywhere near you? When I told her about my truck.....she say's she see's them fairly often.

Thanks, Jeff

Btw.....I had a cousin who I had not seen since we were kids visit this last weekend. She lives on an old farm outside of Buffalo, Mn.......is that anywhere near you? When I told her about my truck.....she say's she see's them fairly often.

Thanks, Jeff

Its close enough that you could visit both of us if you came to visit her.

Jeff,

I recently had all glass replaced except rear windows. Dan the Vintage Glass Man replaced my Windshield Glass, both sides, wing window glass and side door glass. The shop kept one of my old side door windows for a pattern. My vehicle is a 1953 B4B. Here is the name, address and phone #, for your info. I got all for around $380.

Kidwells Glass Sacramento Area...

9334 Greenback Ln.

Orangevale, CA 95662

Contact Dan @ 916-369-0177

I found my cracked originals in the attic and thought I'd try to sketch them up quick-like, but what I found confirmed a suspicion that I have had for several years. I replaced the glass in the 1 ton & '48 at the same time, and immediately had problems rolling them windows up & down. I assumed that the new window channel felts were just stiff, but after 5+ years, I'm still having the same problems. My guess is that the guys who cut my glass got lazy and cut the top & rear edges parallel with the bottom & front edges. The originals have the front & bottom edges perpendicular to each other, and the edges are flat. However, the top & rear edges of the originals have what I'm assuming is some sort of GD French curve. I laid the original out on a work table and took some measurements with drafting triangles & straight edges to confirm what I was seeing. Without the slight curve on the rear edge, the glass gets jammed in the channel and requires a little persuasion that requires the vent window to be open in order to grip the front edge.

post-6555-13585367421609_thumb.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
added drawing

Hi Ed;

That would be cool. I am long overdue. Haven't been east of Vegas for about 25 years.... I suppose it's a weather thing......:eek:

It was really great seeing her. A real sweetheart. Maybe we will try to do a trip back. The last time I saw her I was about 10 or 11. Probably shouldn't wait that long.

I do remember their farm in Powers Lake, WI vividly. Guess what stuck in my mind? They had a big old barn.....with Model A parts hanging everywhere. My Uncle had a 28 or 29 Model A convertible Pickup. Every winter they tore it down and rebuilt it. I thought that was just about as cool as it get's.....pestered my Dad to buy one.....and wound up with a 30 coupe at 15.

Those were the days.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Mark;

That would be great. I have a commercial account with a large glass supplier.

If I give them patterns they will make these up for me at cost. I have good corner windows....so nothing too fancy required. The rest is all flat and I have them all covered.

Thanks, Jeff

shoot me a PM w/ your addy and I'll miall ya a pattern in the AM. YOu come to MN, you'll have to visit Ed and I.

>not only cuts my glass but the side and rear glass (if flat) is

>also sent out to be heat treated to temper the glass for ultimate safety

I, too, thought the tempered glass was safer until I did some reading recently on the subject. Turns out, it's not safer, it's a couple dollars cheaper for the new car builder. It's done that way over the objections of safety groups.

shoot me a PM w/ your addy and I'll miall ya a pattern in the AM. YOu come to MN, you'll have to visit Ed and I.

I heard Mark's buying rounds.....

Ed;

:D Yer twisting my arm......don't ya know.

Austinsailor;

I was thinking that laminated tempered glass would be the way to go. I have it made up for some of the doors I build. I think it is pretty much the best of both worlds.......but I will do some research before I have anything made up.

I do know that in order to pass a strict vehicle inspection it must have a "bug" (safety glass label) or otherwise you could be out of luck.

Mark; sending you a PM

Jeff

So is there such a thing as laminated and tempered? That would seem to be the best of both worlds, stays together but no sharp edges. I've never heard of it, but I'm far from an expert.

If you learn more I'd like to hear about it.

I don't think glass type is a big issue in our vehicles, we're seldom in massive accidents or roll overs, but it's nice to know what is out there.

windshield should be lammy glass PERIOD (actually law I believe). Side windows can be tempered or lammy.

Jeff you show up here, I'll gladly supply a case of beer or a bottle to share whilst jawing about trucks.

Mark;

:D Well I might just take you up on that. Ya just never know......

It does sound like a great area to spend some time. Nice and mellow....not at all like this area. It's kind of funny....my cousin's husband is a woodworker too. She told me all about digging out the floor in his shop to install dust collection and radiant heating......she sort of lost me when she was talking about the weather.....but got me right back when fishing was discussed. And I guess every Wednesday evening is old car night in Buffalo.

Jeff

• 8 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2012 at 8:21 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

if you go to a good glass cutter they have the actual specs on file and larger shop's glass are cut by machine...the dealer I use extensively for old glass not only cuts my glass but the side and rear glass (if flat) is also sent out to be heat treated to temper the glass for ultimate safety..set of 9 new glass panel, 7 heat treated, setting tape, S&H + tax was under 430.00 and there are in gray tint..

Hello Mr Adams,

Do you have pictures of the grey glass you hade custom made for your vehicle ? I’d like to get new glass for my 47 dodge WC truck. If you have the contact info for the glass shop you used please let me know. 

thanks 

Kevin 

PA is "right on" about Vintage Glass! I ordered the glass for my '52 Plymouth Suburban (12 pieces, as they don't offer the curved tailgate piece) from them. They're on the internet, and their contact number is; 888-282-8789.

The total bill was $545.00 with free shipping, and I received it within ten days!