Suggestions for Beginners

I started on my truck as a complete novice. Should I do another one this is what I would do.

1) remove the doghouse and the bed: this done you have access to 90% of the major areas.

2) purchase MANY zip lock bags: every set of bolts, small parts goes into a bag and is identified

3) buy a number of cans of PB Blaster or liquid wrench, other brands are ok, too

4) Get "Blooms" manual: (can't remember the name"

5) Photograph the entire frame, engine, etc. BEFORE taking anything else off.

6) Learn how the SEARCH feature of the forum works. Forum members are willing to help, but 90% of your questions are already on the forum, search, copy/paste, print out, etc.

7) Read the forum there are so many little things you will learn, tricks, tips, how things work, and all the skills of others is just great reading and very educational.

8) Throw NOTHING away, not even a broken bolt!

9) how you clean and preserve is your choice, lots of good ways to do it.

10) When frustrated, let it rest a day or two.

11) Maybe the most important thing I had to learn was not to FORCE anything, there is a correct way.

12) Enjoy the journey, maybe the first goal is to make it a driver.

13) USE JACK STANDS, NOT FLOOR JACKS!

Edit: Invest in a cherry picker or a GOOD winch from the rafters. They make a two man job a one man job. Sometimes it takes a little figuring but it can be done alone. I removed and installed the doghouse, bed, and engine alone, no help, BUT I had a good winch which hangs from a 4x6 place accross four rafters.

Edited by pflaming

Great list. I've added some of my thoughts to it.

Merle

I started on my truck as a complete novice. Should I do another one this is what I would do.

1) remove the doghouse and the bed: this done you have access to 90% of the major areas.

2) purchase MANY zip lock bags: every set of bolts, small parts goes into a bag and is identified

a. "Freezer Bags" work great. They are a little heavier and have a write on label area, perfect when used with a Sharpie, to label what's inside.

3) buy a number of cans of PB Blaster or liquid wrench, other brands are ok, too

a. A good penetrating oil is as useful as anything else in your tool box.

4) Get "Blooms" manual: (can't remember the name"

a. A factory Shop Manual is a great asset. Also Motors Manuals have good information if you can find one.

5) Photograph the entire frame, engine, etc. BEFORE taking anything else off.

a. Take pics of EVERYTHING as you disassemble, from as many angles as possible. It doesn't cost any more to take a few more pics with a digital camera. You'll be glad you did.

b. Save the pics on your computer in organized folders by catagory so that they're easy to find when you need to look at them upon reassembly.

6) Learn how the SEARCH feature of the forum works. Forum members are willing to help, but 90% of your questions are already on the forum, search, copy/paste, print out, etc.

a. If you can't find it using the Search function, ask away. Someone here will likely have an answer.

7) Read the forum there are so many little things you will learn, tricks, tips, how things work, and all the skills of others is just great reading and very educational.

8) Throw NOTHING away, not even a broken bolt! (until you're CERTAIN you don't need it.)

9) how you clean and preserve is your choice, lots of good ways to do it.

a. Sometimes just walking away for a few minutes (get something to drink) or switching to another task for a while will help things go easier when you get back to the original task.

11) Maybe the most important thing I had to learn was not to FORCE anything, there is a correct way. (Amen)

12) Enjoy the journey, maybe the first goal is to make it a driver.

Great list indeed! Here's a couple more I recommend...

(15) Keep a journal or log of all work done on the truck, such as oil changes, major repairs, etc., with date and mileage. Save all receipts.

(16) Keep a growing list of part numbers that will speed up time at auto parts stores (and help the dudes behind the counter).

p.s. Cool, just noticed I made it to "Guru"

Great list!

I would say that hands down this forum is the single most important tool anyone could have. Not just us newbies or novices......even the old hands get stumped on from time to time.;) If you take the time to read through the post's, practically everything discussed is useful at one point in your project or another.

And let's face it......where else are you going to get the support and shared experience you need to get through some of this?

I know I wouldn't have even attempted my truck if this group wasn't so good.

Here are a couple of items I would add to the list for any restoration:

1) A set of appropriate size taps, dies, extractors and a nut breaker.

2) A tube of Anti-Seize compound.

Jeff

Its okay if that day or two rest turns into a month or two. Or even a year or two. It is a hobby that you can work on when you want, not a job you have to go to every day.

(15) Keep a journal or log of all work done on the truck, such as oil changes, major repairs, etc., with date and mileage. Save all receipts.

Throw away all the receipts for things like nuts, bolts, paint supplies, trim items, etc. If you sell the car it will be obvious that you've dealt with those but showing receipts for a professional engine rebuild, etc. could be very useful. The reason you don't want to keep receipts? You really don't want to know how much money you are wasting on that d*mned vehicle.

(16) Keep a growing list of part numbers that will speed up time at auto parts stores (and help the dudes behind the counter).

Also if its a Plymouth up through 1948 please let me know what you find for cross references so I can add it to my database at http://www.ply33.com/Parts/numeric That database got started just as John-T-53 suggests you do: As a list of parts cross references I started when I first started working on my car.

Fixing up an old truck is a creative way to kill some time, but spending too much time on little stuff is a true waste. To save time, one skill that I learned from many a busted knuckle was recognizing when a bolt or nut was worth saving or was just better off by replacing with something new. It took many hours and several boxes of band-aids to get through my thick skull when it is appropriate to spend the time to save a nut/bolt or spend the time carefully cutting/drilling out/grinding away without destroying its surroundings. Fasteners that were part of the exhaust system are prime examples of not being worth the effort to keep as they have corroded so much that it is beneficial to replace with new. Fasteners that are out of sight (such as those that can only be seen from under the vehicle) aren't worth the time to keep either. If there are any visible flaws in bolt threads, then that bolt (and nut) should be replaced anyway.

This skill not only improves productivity, but reduces cost as less penetrating oil is used, creating less mess. Recently, I tackled two parts trucks to remove steering boxes, which involves removing floorboards. I hit each nut/bolt with penetrating oil that looked like it might turn loose, repeating 3 days later. Being careful, I saved a handful of bolts, but most I ground the heads off as the bolts/nuts starting rounding off, and several U-nuts broke. I spent less than two hours removing those two steering boxes, and was able to save the floorboards of one as the other was mostly swiss cheese on the passenger side.

But above all, patience is the key...ya gotta have plenty of that. The minute I start blurting out creative German phrases, then it's break time till the steam blows over. That could be minutes, hours, days...whatever it takes to stay focused and not lose interest.

But above all, patience is the key...ya gotta have plenty of that. The minute I start blurting out creative German phrases, then it's break time till the steam blows over. That could be minutes, hours, days...whatever it takes to stay focused and not lose interest.

Creative German phrases? Good one. I remember a time that I got so agrivated at a machine I was working on that I threw my wrench at it. When the wrench came back and whistled past my ear I knew it was time for a break. I walked away, got a drink of water, walked around for a few minutes to relax, and when I went back to the machine everything miraculously went together without a struggle.

I have put together a document of the ideas suggested on this thread. I tried to add it as an attachment, but the file was too large. If anyone has a suggestion as to how to make this available, it will be appreciated. I learned a great deal from those who contributed. Thank you.

I will assure you that if you decide to take your first car down to the brass tacks so to speak..you will end up with quiet a headache. I will never say this is always the case but I have seen more cars of the first attemp abandoned while yet apart. Of course, makes for a way for me or some other person to get a good project at a low cost but it should not be that way. Seocnd..while I might cuation you not to take it part, I also caution you to not drive it during repair either but it is just another thing I have found to be a hinderance in an overall project. By the time you get to wher you can do paint etc etc..you have to actually basically start the process over again. I also recommend that you do things in sections and count these not in days to be done but rather in milestones for the overall journey. Setting a timeline and missing an all important (if but to you) daeadline will set you mentally against your own project in short order. Deadlines are for jobs and the daily grind of life, milestones mark an adventure and an anticipation to arrive at the next scenic overlook..as a compulsive list maker I do recoomend using a list. I buy each of my cars and when I get them home I do an overall cleanup and then carefully access every panel and section of the car for what it will need to be put back inorder or in many cases how it will be modified to fit my end build. Each funcitonal item will needd be listed as to fit and conditon and asthetics. Most of my lists include check off points for remove, clean, sandblast, repair, prime, test, polish/paint and final fit on assembly. Rainy days are no fun but can be used most effecitvely by working these smaller parts/subsassemblies indoor in a very small shop area. When these smaller parts are done, wrap up, put in box on shelf and protect it for final fit. Even at this you will still find yourself in a clutter of misc stuff , tools, material. subassemblies of larger variety about your shop. Do not ever think it is a cut and dry process..as it is not always dry..weather is the biggest hinderance (next to job, lawn, house, family and other humdrums of life) in preventing you from doing what you want.

Anyway..what I am saying is don't make this a job...make it an adventure..while you want to make progress don't set yourself up for a dissapointment when a certain event comes up and you are not on the road yet..butilding your car is one of the best ways to relax. Even at that, things are going to fight you, parts are going to be evasive..avoid a hasty decision to buy high but be practical and not let a deal go by thinking you can find it cheaper next week...sometimes a bird in the hand is the better deal..

I will assure you that if you decide to take your first car down to the brass tacks so to speak..you will end up with quiet a headache. I will never say this is always the case but I have seen more cars of the first attemp abandoned while yet apart...

I'd disagree, my truck is my first vehicle and taking it down to the nuts and bolts has given me quite the understanding of the how and why. I think it might come down to drive to finish a project being very important tho. This place has saved my sanity several times as well.

I'd disagree, my truck is my first vehicle and taking it down to the nuts and bolts has given me quite the understanding of the how and why. I think it might come down to drive to finish a project being very important tho. This place has saved my sanity several times as well.

Mark you might be more the exception than the rule. I will say while they both quite for different reasons both my car and truck were someone elses already started project.

as Young Ed said, gerneal statement is all, basically a early warning at large, this does not apply to everyone...but in this hobby I bet you I have seen more go belly up than those that roll out the door..that was all I was saying and if anyone takes exception to my statement..it was never meant to be an assualt on anyone's character or work habits..

Of all the great comments, one has not been mentioned: SPACE. I'm forturate to have a 36' x 16' garage in the back yard. It is mine exclusively, so when I walk away for a while as I have, I can just lock the door and nobody is impacted.

I was able to move it to the alley and back until I started on the brakes, etc. That will soon end, but to have the luxuary of space saved my project AND the advice and patience of forum members.

I figure often a lot of Guys have great intentions, and wind up in over there head,skill levels, equipment, time and money.

I am 1 who likes to do things in sections, have learned what works, and what doesn't for me, and continue to learn.

I do not mind the work involved, and I am the type who is driven to complete a task, but often MONEY, or TIME, throw up roadblocks faster then I can get over them.

I am working on the truck, now, doing this that and the other, I am one who can do this section, or this other task, and go back and forth within reason, just my way of doing things.

M<y 47 Chrysler, has not had any work done on her in a while, but she is in good condition, but still needs items, likea new headliner, bumpers chrome, pinion seal etc.

I will get back to her soon.

Here are some pics of a 55 Fargo all in pieces, without a engine and trans, where some Guys do not get beyond. Here is my Frankenstein truck.

I am working different sections at a time, but am concentrating on mechanical and safety items currently. When it comes time for body and paint will take box off agaian, and fron clip, and will be able to work those in sections too....

post-114-13585367316304_thumb.jpg

post-114-1358536731664_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585367316971_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585367319317_thumb.jpg

Interesting thread. I bought a 1931 Ford Model A coupe from a fellow who completely disassembled it, labeled all the parts, and put all of the fasteners in a variety of jars, and baby food jars. I came along 8 years after he did this and bought it for $150 and hauled every thing home in three truck loads.

I spent the next two years rounding up more parts and re-assembling.

One year on the chassis, and one year on the body. I drove it after that as a second car. My wife remarked that it least it wasn't another women or a bar, she knew right where to find me. After the first year she said that maybe a woman would have been better. She could compete with a woman, but not that dang Ford!

• 1 month later...

After spending a week under my truck, on a concrete floor, there are two things I would do if I would do another TRUCK:

1) I would remove the doghouse and the bed, lift it with a fork lift and steam clean it very thoroughly!!!!

2) I would NOT put that doghouse or bed back on until I had road tested it. I would be easy to put temp head lights and tail lights on it to make it legal and put a good weight on the back frame above the axle to replace the bed weight.

That would make so many of the tasks 90% easier.

After spending a week under my truck, on a concrete floor, there are two things I would do if I would do another TRUCK:

1) I would remove the doghouse and the bed, lift it with a fork lift and steam clean it very thoroughly!!!!

Sounds like you've been spitting dirt and rubbing eyes, bruising knuckles and mashing fingers and thumbs. Call it experience. The better you get at wrenching, the fewer drops of blood are shed.