Front hub dust cap.

• 2 weeks later...

but I have a question...

X-01.jpg

Both the old and new caps measure 1.93" diameter

X-02.jpg

Did you have to provide the relief cuts specifically to allow the dust caps to be pounded in further to allow clearance for the baby moons? Otherwise (I will test fit) I think I can give them a quick prime and finish off with Rustoleum Black Appliance Epoxy (as I've mentioned before my favorite finish other than powdercoat) Looks like a total go to me.

After my test fit, I determined that in fact they are a litttle bit too tight (probably why my old ones got so beat up) and decided the relief cut is probably the way to go. I cut two relief cuts and at $4.85 if they don't work I'll just have to give up Oreo's for the week. Just finished priming & painting them. They are in the sun but I'll give them overnight to dry. Will report back tomorrow.

DustCaps.jpg

Thanks I think these are going to look a whole lot better,

Hank :)

P.S. "Dust Cap Pliers"...never heard of them before Merle.

Edited by HanksB3B

but I have a question...

Both the old and new caps measure 1.93" diameter

Did you have to provide the relief cuts specifically to allow the dust caps to be pounded in further to allow clearance for the baby moons? Otherwise (I will test fit) I think I can give them a quick prime and finish off with Rustoleum Black Appliance Epoxy (as I've mentioned before my favorite finish other than powdercoat) Looks like a total go to me.

After my test fit, I determined that in fact they are a litttle bit too tight (probably why my old ones got so beat up) and decided the relief cut is the probably the way to go. Will report back.

Thanks,

Yea like you found out they just don't quite fit, they will start in but need to be HAMMERED in but with the relief cuts they just tap in, I never tried just 1 cut & it was very close so you may try just 1 cut first.

My 2 cuts though are a good snug fit.

They should be a tight fit, and new they may be quite tight. What you should do is use a piece of pipe that just slips over the outer part of the cap so that you can hammer on just the flange ring, which will press them onto place and form them to fit your hub. Then to remove them you should use a dust cap pliers. If I were home I'd take a picture of mine to show you what it looks like, but I'm 800 miles away. They save a lot of agrivation when removing the caps and won't damage them.

Merle

They should be a tight fit, and new they may be quite tight. What you should do is use a piece of pipe that just slips over the outer part of the cap so that you can hammer on just the flange ring, which will press them onto place and form them to fit your hub. Then to remove them you should use a dust cap pliers. If I were home I'd take a picture of mine to show you what it looks like, but I'm 800 miles away. They save a lot of agrivation when removing the caps and won't damage them.

Merle

Cool! Another tool I never heard of that I have a use for. Thank you!

Do yours look anything like the one on this page: http://www.restockit.com/hub-and-dust-cap-pliers-%28vimv216%29.html

• Like 1

Are the rear wheels also supposed to have dust caps? If anyone with a 1/2 ton has them would you please post a picture and provide measurements. I've been riding with exposed cotter pins for the last 20 years.

Thanks,

Hank

P.S. Merle actually if you knew my childhood Dentist you wouldn't think "that's just wrong", but that is a whole other story I don't care to remember.

Are the rear wheels also supposed to have dust caps? If anyone with a 1/2 ton has them would you please post a picture and provide measurements. I've been riding with exposed cotter pins for the last 20 years.

Thanks,

Hank

P.S. Merle actually if you knew my childhood Dentist you wouldn't think "that's just wrong", but that is a whole other story I don't care to remember.

The hardened washers block any dust caps on the rears of mine, to keep the cotter pins hidden I just popped on the baby moons.

Moose,

Not the answer I was hoping for as I don't have stock wheels and mine won't receive any hubcaps. So am I to presume that there has never been a dustcap on 1/2 tons? Guess Ill have to dig in to my parts books and try to find out, but in the meantime if anyone knows otherwise, please advise.

DSC_00013.jpg

Front Wheel w/new Dustcap. Following Moose's initial advice of making two relief cuts resulted in a cap that seemed to "snap-into-place" by just using the my fist as a hammer a definate positive feeling. These aren't going anywhere. NO BFH REQUIRED! (Thank's Moose)

DSC_0004-1.jpg

I'm thinking of ordering another pair of dustcaps for the rear but would silicone them on (kinda ehh.. but at least would look finished) (Might try for a larger diameter cap and make the silicone bead where those two concentric circles meet).

Edited by HanksB3B

No caps that I know of for the rears. I guess you'll just have to drive around with your nuts hanging out. ;)

Sometimes you can get center caps for wheels like that that would cover/dress up the wheel hubs. The ones I've seen set in from the back side of the rim and are held in place once the wheel is mounted. They're usually stainless or chrome, but you could paint them black to match.

Merle

No caps that I know of for the rears. I guess you'll just have to drive around with your nuts hanging out.

been doing that for years, but it's time for a change. Thought about siliconing those small black plastic dessert cups maybe they could even take paint, not melt and look halfway decent. I'll think of something.

Hank :D

I was missing my dust caps on the front hub, seems the low profile baby moons wouldn't clear so they left them off.

I didn't see any dust caps at Roberts so I used NAPA P/N 730-2409 & put a couple of relief cuts in them.

Fit perfect.

Can someone with a Dodge truck parts book get me the Chrysler number for this same dust cap? I strongly suspect that it is the same as on the 1930s Plymouth trucks and also on Plymouth cars from '33 through at least '48 but I'd like to confirm that.

Thanks!

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the dust caps may have been removed because of the baby moons for the wheels. I was thinking of putting some baby moons on my truck, but i want the dust caps to remain on. Could someone measure the depth of the "moons"? This way I'll know how much clearance i have.

Thanks,

-Chris

Can someone with a Dodge truck parts book get me the Chrysler number for this same dust cap? I strongly suspect that it is the same as on the 1930s Plymouth trucks and also on Plymouth cars from '33 through at least '48 but I'd like to confirm that.

Thanks!

Here you go Tod,

B and C series (1/2 and 3/4 ton) use P/N 600183

D thru K series (1 ton - 3(?) ton) use P/N 564052