Dumping The Clip On Peep Mirrors

Norm's Coupe

Have been wanting to get rid of the clip on peep mirrors for awhile now. At first was going to use some type of 50's or 60's style door mirror. However, all the originals usually need replating and new reproductions that I've seen aren't made that well. Even the chrome ones at JC Whitney are just chrome plated plastic. So........going with a pair of Sally Hill mirrors. Will paint them the same color as the car and they will blend in better. Sally Hill mirrors also comes in left and right sides. The right side is convexed, so that makes it easier to see things out that mirror.

da56_1.JPG

Ryan,

My old peep mirrors are about 12 years old. They still look ok from a distance but the arms are pitting a little on them. I also have exact size stick on convex mirrors stuck on each one. They do work great, I just never cared for the clip on type mirror. So, I will be getting rid of them once I get the others on. If you need mirrors and want clip ons, they are cheap at JC Whitney, and they are not plastic like the door type mirror.

That said, I do have a set of brand new clip on mirrors. I actually got the new set a couple of years ago from my brother in law. He paid $25 each for them from a street rod vendor. Then decided he wanted hinge mirrors for his 36 Ford and gave me the clip ons. They have never been on a car. I told him this afternoon I was giving them back to him so he could sell them. So, if anyone wants those I would guess he'd sell them for what he paid for them. I would have to check on that though.

Norm;

It will be interesting to see how your replacement mirrors work visibility wise. I recently replaced my old clip-on mirrors with the JC Whitney eleven buck version. These new mirrors are 5 inch and my old ones were 4 inch. However they still do not offer very good visibility.

elevenbuck5inch.jpg

I tried several clip-on style mirrors on the front edge of the door, none of them worked well for me. I then had a set of clip-ons that mounted on the top of the door; they worked fine, except I could never remember to look up to find them (old age I guess!).

I finally switched to a set of round swan neck mirrors bolted in the stock location, and can see both sides fine now.

Now if someone would make a swan neck with rectangular mirrors, I'd really be set .....

Marty

I tried several clip-on style mirrors on the front edge of the door, none of them worked well for me. I then had a set of clip-ons that mounted on the top of the door; they worked fine, except I could never remember to look up to find them (old age I guess!).

I finally switched to a set of round swan neck mirrors bolted in the stock location, and can see both sides fine now.

Now if someone would make a swan neck with rectangular mirrors, I'd really be set .....

Marty

Marty,

Found these rectangular swan neck while looking for mirrors. Maybe these will help you. If not they have others listed on their site. Not cheap though. http://www.valleyautoaccessoriesmfg.com/page2.html

vom4500big.jpg

Norm;

It will be interesting to see how your replacement mirrors work visibility wise. I recently replaced my old clip-on mirrors with the JC Whitney eleven buck version. These new mirrors are 5 inch and my old ones were 4 inch. However they still do not offer very good visibility.

elevenbuck5inch.jpg

Don, your JC Whitney mirrors look different from mine. Mine look like they may be a little longer. Mine are about 7 1/2" from door to end of mirror. Also the glass on mine is only about 4 or 4 1/2" dia. The arm is more of a swan type also. Same price as you paid though. At first I still had a problem seeing good with them too. However, I was able to find the stick on convex mirror the same size as the glass on the mirror. Put those on each mirror, left and right. Made a world of difference in visibility. You can see everything then. Does take a little getting use to with the convex glass on the drivers side though.

Actually, that picture I posted wasn't really a Sally Hill mirror. It was a similar looking one. Couldn't fine the Sally Hill at first. Found it later, below is a picture of them. Actually, this little exercise isn't going to cost me anything to try. My brother in law won a pair at year before last NSRA Street Rod show and didn't want them. Thought he had sold them until yesterday, but it turned out he didn't yet. This is the Sally Hill Mirrors that I'm going to try. I pick them up next weekend when I see him. Will let you know how they work after trying them by just holding them up on the door. This picture really isn't that good. Sally Hill does not have a website. Found the picture on the NSRA site.

img48.jpg

I have yet to install these on the bigbutt...but I lucked into these brand new in the box for 34.00 for the set, sure be happy with that price.

swanneck.jpg

You should be happy; I paid $100 for mine! I actually had to rotate the mirrors to be towards the car, otherwise I couldn't see them through the metal guides on the door windows.

Marty

That is a concern I have Marty...I have not put the seat back in the bigbutt yet so I have nothing to judge placement by at this time...I think Reg has a set like this on his car and likes them...I am slowly plugging away on my wiring..am out there tonight sorting some of the last bulkhead feed through wires. For cruise control I see see another relay to be be added so to get the dual function of a single function switch..after the sorting it is stand on my head and solder and shrink wrap my connection.

...has a set like this on his car and likes them...

I like mine, but I like Tim's price even better... The socal swan neck mirrors look like they belong on the car to me. I think they work well on a large range of body styles from the 40's and 50's.

Pete

mirrorleft.JPG