Valve Guide Removal/Install Tool

mach0415

My assumption is that they are driven downward only to fall out in the valve chamber and installed the same way until flush with the bottom of the guide bore???

There is a spec for how far down they sit below the deck....I made a depth gauge so the guides could be set to (in my case) .875" below the deck.

Another caution....you have to swing a hammer pretty dam hard to move the guides far enough down to remove them. I was using a tool to set concrete anchors and all was well till I missed and smashed an index finger with my bfh. Fractured the finger, this was last May, and I know it'll never be right.

That's when I went on the hunt for a valve guide driver to use with my air hammer. This worked great with the exception of the install. One of the 12 guides was so tight, the air hammer wouldn't move it. I had to use the driver to hammer it home with the bfh. This tool is long enough and tough enough to be used like this, so it's kind of like getting two tools for one.

• Like 1

This is copied directly from the Technical Tips section of the main web page supporting this forum.

Installing Valve Guides

If you are doing a valve job or full overhaul of your flathead six pay close attention to how the valve guides are re-installed. In the factory service manual a one liner warns exhaust valve guides are mounted reverse from the intakes valve guides (P15 Service Manual. Page 149. It is not even mentioned in the D24 Service Manual !). For exhaust valves install the counterbored ends upward. This provides better heat shielding. Intake guides are mounted counterbore down. Most machine shops are not familiar with these engines anymore and you need to warn them about the correct installation procedure.

t_valve_guides.jpeg

My assumption is that they are driven downward only to fall out in the valve chamber and installed the same way until flush with the bottom of the guide bore???

..they are pulled to remove

post-423-13585366912903_thumb.jpg (click on image to enlarge)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe