Speedometer Questions

Hey Guys,

So i've finally been able to start working on my truck since we've had such a mild winter up here in New England. My speedo doesn't work and i've been trying to figure out why so i took it out of the truck. Is there a good way to test it to see if it works? What i did was turned the shaft (red arrow) counter clockwise and the needle will bounce up to around 40 then come back down and bounce up again. It never really comes back to zero it goes down past it. I also noticed that the counter for the miles seems to count. Does this mean that its still good? I took a look at the speedo cable and was able to spin the shaft at both ends, tranny and in the cab. It looks like its the original cable so im thinking about getting a new one if the actual speedo still works. Also the thing that the yellow arrow is pointing too, is that for oiling?

Thanks for the input!

post-8139-13585366791613_thumb.jpg

post-8139-13585366791916_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The plug marked with the yellow arrow has a wick inside. Unscrew the plug and soak the wick with a light oil. If you have an old speedo cable you can put it in the drive and turn it with a drill chuck in a variable speed drill. It won't measure the accuracy, but it will spin the internals. Does it make any noises when spinning? Mike

Using two flat head screw drivers, put them under the needle next to the shaft and CAREFULLY rotate them in opposite directions to 'pop' the needle off of the shaft. Then you can relocate it to zero.

Or, send it to me and I'll go through the whole thing for ya. :)

Mike: I will try doing that with the variable speed drill after work today and let you know if it makes any noise.

Keven: So that's how you zero it back out... i'm gunna give that a shot. You do have some real nice decals I've seen around here for the speedo and other gauges for my '52, are you still making these cause i would be interested in a set.

Thanks,

-Chris B.

Keven: So that's how you zero it back out... I'm gunna give that a shot. You do have some real nice decals I've seen around here for the speedo and other gauges for my '52, are you still making these cause i would be interested in a set.

Thanks,

-Chris B.

I'm making gauge decals, but I've pretty much given up on the speedo decals.

Keven

PS Let me know if you can't get the odometer to work. I have a bunch of extra parts.

Keven: I would like a set of gauge decals, whats the going rate? I'll let you know about the odometer.

How can i make sure that the gears inside the tranny for the speedo aren't shot, besides just taking them out?

Thanks

Keven: I would like a set of gauge decals, whats the going rate? I'll let you know about the odometer.

How can i make sure that the gears inside the tranny for the speedo aren't shot, besides just taking them out?

Thanks

The gauges are $25 with free shipping.

Like mentioned above put one end of your speedo cable in a drill and spin it up.

The cable shouldn't turn when placed in the trans drive or with the driveshaft removed and the trans in neutral, spin the trans output shaft by hand. The cable should turn.

Thanks

I've also made a set of decals with black backgrounds and white letters/numbers. They are the correct font for the '51-'53 trucks.

Keven: are you still making these cause i would be interested in a set.

I've pretty much given up on the speedo decals.

Keven

chris,

i have a speedo decal from keven. heck, i have the gauge face for the speedo, too. they are both for your version of the speedo, which i don't have in my truck. you can have either if you want - PM and i'll let you know the specifics. the decal you can have for cheap, but you can also have the face plate for cheap, too. the decal is excellent, but my speedo is in better shape than yours appears.

wally

Keven: I'll think about the decals and let you know.

I still haven't gotten the chance to try spinning the cable, but when i do i'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for the help

Keven: I'll think about the decals and let you know.

I still haven't gotten the chance to try spinning the cable, but when i do i'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for the help

Here's what the white on black speedo looks like. The needle is non-stock, but I've got one or two more.

post-6239-13585366858987_thumb.jpg

Ohhh i was mistaken. Well i like the black speedo decal a lot better than the gray look so that wouldn't be a problem.

I almost hate to do this to ya, but I'm working on a set of white background/black font decals right now. They'd have the correct font for your truck. Same price, $65 for all and free shipping.

:D

post-6239-13585366870839_thumb.jpg

I almost hate to do this to ya, but I'm working on a set of white background/black font decals right now. They'd have the correct font for your truck. Same price, $65 for all and free shipping.

:D

The white and black look good too, but something about all back with white numbers really gets me. I thought you had said $25 for the decals (Post #7)?

So i got the speedo working again, cleaned up the cable and oiled the wick. To make sure it worked i jacked up the rear a little, put it up on jack stands, fired it up and popped it in 1st gear and my MPH's started climbing. I tried re-zeroing the needle as mention before but i couldn't get it to pop off the little shaft even with lots of prying, any other suggestions?

-Chris

The gauges are $25 with free shipping.

Like mentioned above put one end of your speedo cable in a drill and spin it up.

The white and black look good too, but something about all back with white numbers really gets me. I thought you had said $25 for the decals (Post #7)?

$25 for the gauges, $40 for the speedo. Free shipping. :D

$25 for the gauges, $40 for the speedo. Free shipping. :D

Thanks Keven, I'll contact you when I'm ready for the decals.

Does the speedo needle just pop off of the small shaft like you said before, or do i need to do something special to get it off? I use the flat head screwdriver technique and all that happen was it bent up and didn't come off.

Thanks

Thanks Keven, I'll contact you when I'm ready for the decals.

Does the speedo needle just pop off of the small shaft like you said before, or do i need to do something special to get it off? I use the flat head screwdriver technique and all that happen was it bent up and didn't come off.

Thanks

Did you have screwdrivers on each side of the shaft?

Yea i did, but the needle wasn't budging. It was just bending the sides of the needle up and not removing it from the shaft. I'll take pictures tonight of my approach, maybe i'm doing it wrong.

Yea i did, but the needle wasn't budging. It was just bending the sides of the needle up and not removing it from the shaft. I'll take pictures tonight of my approach, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Hmmmm, I don't know then. Maybe someone's used an adhesive? :(