49 Plymouth want dual master cylinder

rawalnut

I may add disc brakes later but for now I want to add a dual reservoir master cylinder for the added safety. I had a total brake failure once many years ago and I have decided it need nver happen again. Has anyone just replaced the master cylinder with some commom readily available master cylinder? I have read most of the other postings and did not figure out the answer to my question.

Thanks, Bob

One problem on your car is that the brake pedal pivots on the master cylinder itself. One solution I saw, was to leave the original master cylinder in place and mount a new one behind it, with a long rod through the old master cylinder to the new one. This required making a bracket for the new cylinder but was a simple solution.

I would very much like to do this also. I was also trying to keep my front drum brakes but the systems out there are mostly sold along with the front disk setup. I think using drums or disks will affect which master is used. I had a setup on order and cancelled it after reading Don’s horror story.

Needless to say I still want to upgrade for safety reasons so I will also do the front disks at the same time. If you come across any proven kits please drop me a line.

Chet…

I may add disc brakes later but for now I want to add a dual reservoir master cylinder for the added safety. I had a total brake failure once many years ago and I have decided it need nver happen again. Has anyone just replaced the master cylinder with some commom readily available master cylinder? I have read most of the other postings and did not figure out the answer to my question.

Thanks, Bob

On my 48/49 Dodge, I used a new Mustang II MC, $20. Was an easy install, making a bracket of angle iron to add to the original Mc. Added a 9" rod to go through the original MC. The shoes, wheel cylinders, etc, are stock.. Brakes have been working good...

There are several threads on here, where people have done something similar..

post-3539-135853666817_thumb.jpg

post-3539-13585366682322_thumb.jpg

I just did a ton of searching on this topic. I have a 51 and originally planned on doing what Bob did above. then I found this site that sells Brake Mast brackets. for $21 And just weld it to the frame and core out the original master.

https://www.welderseries.com/blog/online-store/master-cylinder-bracket-2-2/

?565,565,3,100,100,1015774914

after thinking it over and calling ECI I went with their bracket and master setup. I had read of installation issues but talking with the guy he said they solved all that and designed a new bracket for the later cars.

after thinking it over and calling ECI I went with their bracket and master setup. I had read of installation issues but talking with the guy he said they solved all that and designed a new bracket for the later cars.

Please post the details of your install. I am interested in what problems they solved.

Are you also using their disk brake kit. They told me that you can't have a dual master and the old drum brakes. Also I believe the stock rims don't work with their setup. I have a 48 P15. 15" wheels. My suspension is a little higher in the rear then the front so maybe 16” in the front. Doesn’t the 46/47 have 16” rims ?

Chet...

Edited by Chester Brzostowski

I just did a ton of searching on this topic. after thinking it over and calling ECI I went with their bracket and master setup. I had read of installation issues but talking with the guy he said they solved all that and designed a new bracket for the later cars.

That is all well and good. But did they solve the no pedal stop problem? Did they solve the side to side pedal slop issue or did they tell you that the side play is acceptable? Did they solve the master cylinder issue when using stock drum brakes? Did they tell you that you will have to buy special fittings to connect your brake lines? I hope you dont have to go through what I did to make there setup work.

That is all well and good. But did they solve the no pedal stop problem? Did they solve the side to side pedal slop issue or did they tell you that the side play is acceptable? Did they solve the master cylinder issue when using stock drum brakes? Did they tell you that you will have to buy special fittings to connect your brake lines? I hope you dont have to go through what I did to make there setup work.

Don, I read through the issues you had , before I install anything I'll be checking it over carefully. They did ask if I was still using Drum/ Drum and provided me with a residual valve. Also the told me the outlets will be facing the tranny.

That's funny. I spoke with ECI today and they told me they didn't have a dual master setup for the stock P15 hydraulic system. This was the same info I got from them while Don was trying to get his setup working. Maybe they have it for the 51 but the P15 has 6 drum cylinders and they said they have not found a compatible duel master to work with this 6 cyl setup in the P15.

Chet....

Don, I read through the issues you had , before I install anything I'll be checking it over carefully. They did ask if I was still using Drum/ Drum and provided me with a residual valve. Also the told me the outlets will be facing the tranny.

Great! Glad to hear it! Please post your observations after you check it over carefully.

Don..it is customer feedback from observant installers that force them to offer a better kit to survive amongst the competition..am sure after the input from you the master was looked at a bit deeper..

I agree on the feedback issue. However they never once told me they would look into the problems I had. They did tell me the pedal side to side slop was normal and that without it the pedal would bind once some dirt built up in the crack. Made me feel as if they were not listening to what I was telling them. Once I completed the modifications there product does work well.

James49ply: There have been several postings on this type of MC upgrade; most I have read as well as my own "new" MC installation had one main drawback; the filler cap of the new MC was above the floor level, centered in front of the front seat. This then requires a "cover" which results in a raised "lump" in the front floorboard !!!( see my and several other threads ) :eek: Cass, alias littlemo... Add: Maybe we can get falconvan to "mass-produce" that new bracket???