Vintage Truck Article

Jim Shepard

Hey Dave Erb! Way to go. I really enjoyed your article in Vintage Truck this month. Nice truck! I notice in the photo of the engine that you appear to have some sort of PCV system. Do you have any close-up photos? Both sides? How 'bout a discription of what you did and what parts you used?

I haven't heard from Dave for awhile now I hope he's ok. As far as the PCV system, I did one similar to what Dave did. I removed the road draft tube and cut off the tube, and welded a nipple on to the fitting and installed it back into the block. I then took a heater hose and went from that nipple up to the right front corner of the cab and mounted a PCV valve from a MoPar slant six. I chose that because the orifice in the valve was designed for a 225 cu in block, so I figured the diameter was about right for a 230. That becomes important-because by adding the PCV sytem, your basically adding a controlled vacuum leak that needs to be compensated for to avoid running overly lean. From there I went to the vacuum port on the intake with a piece of vacuum tubing. I t'd the vacuum pickup off the PCV line because the line for the wiper was too small to T into. To filter the intake air, I used a cap (again from a slant six) with the sinterred filter to replace the original filler cap. I've had it on there about 4-5 yrs now, and it makes a difference in how clean the oil stays between changes. When you're doing this, you'll probably find that you have to richen up your idle mixture a bit, because of the vacuum leak that has been added. The vacuum wipers work fine with this setup (well as good as they ever did). To make this even more efficient, you need to make sure that you're running a hot enough thermostat (180 minimum) to allow the oil to get hot enough to vaporize the accumulated moisture so that the PCV system can do its job. Mike

That last I talked with Dave, via email, he wasn't participating on the forum anymore because he had a strange computer glitch that wouldn't allow him to create new threads. He could reply to other threads but couldn't start new ones. He fought with it for a while and couldn't come up with a solution. This puts a sixable crimp into ones ability to participate, so he eventually stopped coming around. He was still doing well though.

Merle

That last I talked with Dave, via email, he wasn't participating on the forum anymore because he had a strange computer glitch that wouldn't allow him to create new threads. He could reply to other threads but couldn't start new ones. He fought with it for a while and couldn't come up with a solution. This puts a sixable crimp into ones ability to participate, so he eventually stopped coming around. He was still doing well though.

Merle

I wonder if he contacted GTK for assistance?

with a grommet in the valve cover, I reckon someone thought blow-by gas extraction was necessary from the valve chamber because that is how overhead valve engines are set up. It's not necessarily the wrong approach on the flathead, but I don't see any benefit from pulling blow-by gases from the crankcase via the draft tube port and the oil filler neck similar to how Power Wagon flatheads are set up.

Well, it has worked for me, and I'm going to do the same for my 36 Plymouth-the oil stays noticably cleaner for a longer period of time, and I don't have the drippings on the garage floor from the draft tube. The advantage I see of a PCV system vs road draft is that you don't have to rely on vehicle movement to evacuate the crankcase gases and vaporized moisture once the oil is up to temp. I think you'd be sucking a lot of oil splatter drafting from the valve cover because you're right alongside the lifters Mike

Edited by MBFowler