Bullseye halogen conversion

Alshere59

Just thought I would post some pics of my bullseye headlights being changed to new reflectors with a mount for a Halogen bulb fits 6 or 12 volt. I bought some Bosh headlights and broke the lenses out of them. Then you just clean the silicon off. Still need the bulbs and relays as they are not here yet.

I did end up cracking one prying the metal from around the edge. So the next one and a replacement went into a mild acid solution and did the reverse of the Rust Removal using Electrolysis. So my headlight was connected to the positive lead on my 6 volt battery. Also I used some muriatic acid I had left over from the pool that I diluted with water. So 2 thirds water 1 third acid. Everything done outside. Total time to eat away the lip holding the glass was about 5 hours.
I had a baking soda bath waiting for the headlight after it came out of the bath. Then used the rest to neutralize the acid.

So anyway that where I am currently

If you have never heard of the rust removal a link is below. I just reversed the connections so that it ate away my headlight. The electricity goes mostly line of site so I had a big washer right in front of the center of the lense.
http://antique-engines.dickerson-design.com/electrol.asp

post-7005-13585366470094_thumb.jpg

post-7005-13585366470357_thumb.jpg

post-7005-13585366470616_thumb.jpg

post-7005-13585366470888_thumb.jpg

post-7005-13585366471136_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The headlight beams after replacing the European lens with the bulls eye lens.

The last is the Bullseye lens on the Bosche European reflector. I like the way the beam comes out with the bullseye lens it has a large area with a clean cut on the top. The sealed beam is bright but narrow. So overall very happy with the change

All 6 volts but easy to change to 12.

Al

post-7005-13585366561882_thumb.jpg

post-7005-13585366563887_thumb.jpg

post-7005-13585366565753_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am not so sure I would have taken the flat faced H4 Hella's apart....of course years ago when this was a popular bulb in Europe..they were not legal inthe US..I would have to remove my Hella's from the Porsche for state inspection and place stock DOT type in for the time being..I have yet to find a suitable set of H4's for the spare set of Bulleyes I have here at the house..still got stock 6 volt bulleyes one in the 54 Plymouth..they definitely look trick when parked beside some ole T3 plain brown wrapper GM vehicle..

as I said, at one time the flat faced Hella H4 were not legal..the cars when imported at the time with these had to go through DOT coversions before even getting certificed for registration int he states..Ihave a set of these yet, saved them when I sold my Porsche..at that time..you coul dnot pass state inspection with these as there was no adapter for this headlight so to porperly aim them..I also know this as I was a licensed state vehicle inspector for the state for about 7 years..

I've been interested in doing this for my truck. What did you use for the 6V reflector part? How do these hook up to the wiring harness? I'm keeping "original" (new) wiring.

Edited by ggdad1951

I've been interested in doing this for my truck. What did you use for the 6V reflector part? How do these hook up to the wiring harness? I'm keeping "original" (new) wiring.

The reflectors are Bosch and they were bought on epay. Other company's make them so they are easy to find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-H4-Headlights-Upgrade-your-Sealed-Beams-PAIR-/120856046586?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c2394ebfa

If you want they even make them with turn signals mounted in them.

You can get Halogen bulbs in 12 or 6 volt that plug into the existing wiring harness so that is easy.

You will need to add relays as the halogens draw more amps and your switch will get pretty hot. Here is a link, its for an OT car but still valid for ours. Just scroll to the bottom for an excellent schematic.

http://www.mgexperience.net/article/mgb/headlight_relays_revb.pdf

Greg The beam pattern on the original H4 is nice in that it covers a bit more of the ground. You can see it to some extent in the pic. The grass is visable in the others just not as much. They were 25 foot from the fence or what the alignment distance is when i took the pics.

Edited by Alshere59
  • Like 1