convertible window channel

42dodgeguy

guys: Awhile ago I posted need for the channell that goes into the division bar of my 42 convert. It's the stuff that the front edge of the window in the door slides up and down in. I was referred to Restoration Specialties, and looked at their online catalog. They advertised some that was supposed to be 25/64" (.390") wide with a 1/8" opening down the middle. I bought it, and thought I was set. Even reported back a thanks to the guys on the forum. THEN......I tried to install it. Found in actuality it was much wider than advertised, like about .450" wide, and won't fit into the channel on the division bar. Hope I didn't start a stampede of other convertible restorers to go down the wrong road. I also checked a place called Metro which is in the northern burbs of Minneapolis. I live close, so took my caliper with me to measure. Same deal. I suspect both companies get it from same manufacturer, and it's mis-labeled. Talked to Chris, the new guy at Bernbaums, and he said he'll look into it. Still don't have what I need, and am kind of stuck as far as installing my wing window and side windows into the doors. HELP! HELP! again. Wish there was a forum called "Convertible Corner or something.:confused:

I'm sure I bought the same Restoration Specialties channel that you did because I have exactly the same problem with my '47 Plymouth convertible. I did an extensive search before buying the window channel and couldn't find it anywhere else. It's too bad that the catalog picture has an incorrect dimension because that dimension is definitely what we need.

I believe I now have a plan of attack that will allow use of this material, though. I did a little experiment with a 2-inch section of the channel liner and the results were promising. I'll explain my plan and let you decide whether to follow suit.

First, I found that the U-shaped steel core of the channel liner actually has the right width to fit the channel; it's the rubber covering and whiskers that make it too wide. I also noted that the very ends of the U-shaped steel core's legs flare out slightly. So, using a new single edge razor blade, I carefully followed the valley created by this flare and cut through the rubber cover on both sides of the liner. I then peeled the rubber cover (and a little of the whiskers) away from the outer sides and bottom of the U. The cover peels away fairly easily.

The rest of the rubber covering and whiskers remained in place on the inside of the U, A small part of the liner wraps around the very ends of the steel core's legs which limits how far the liner can be pressed into the channel. The modified liner fits into the channel and looks very good, The rubber cover material remaining at outside of the flare stops the liner from bottoming in the channel, leaving a space of about 0.040" under the liner. I plan to put a small bead of weatherstrip cement (of maybe silicone caulking) in the channel before pressing the liner in, so this gap will be filled and the liner will be glued in place. I don't believe this minor dimensional change will cause the window to bind. I will also put a tiny bead of glue along the cut line so the ends of the remaining rubber cover will be less likely to peel away.

I know that this seems like a lot of trouble to go through, but it does allow use of what seems to be the only window channel lining that comes close to the correct size. I would be happy to find out that the right liner is available, but I won't hold my breath waiting for that.