Hood Ornament Light!

Drdialtone

They are a fairly simple item..........a bulb base attached to a little

piece of metal to attach it, and a wire to give it power. Just need

to find a socket that fits inside the hollow plastic of the ornament.

And then, a compatible bulb.

I actually used two bulbs....one behind the other, in order to

distribute the light the length of the plastic.

Hooked mine to the low beam headlights as I like to have it on all the time when driving.

However, when I kick on the high beams, the ornament goes out. Gives you another beam

indicator.

Mopar did offer that thing as an aftermarket accessory....therefore

the remaining ones have gotten pricey. But, once installed.....who

will ever know if it's real or if it's home made. If someone asks.....you

can tell them whatever you wish.

Fortunately, my car came to me equipped with the kit installed. But it's a simple device to fab. An old flashlight and 5' of copper is really all that's needed. Lost count of the amount of people who comment on the hood ornament on cruise nights. I recommend that you keep the bulb at the back of the plastic and keep the watts low. Looks better with a mellow glow, and it won't melt an expensive piece to replace.

I bought a GM sidemarker lamp base. It is a pliable plastic molding that is meant to twist fit into the rear of the side marker light assembly. It squeezes into the hollow in the Mayflower casting and has stayed there for for the past 8 years. As mentioned I retained the 12 V light, running on 6V it gives a nice glow. I wired mine to the ign side of the coil so it on with engine.

I believe it cost me 6 bucks, plus the wire and crimp connectors I used.

Lots of way to go about it.

I hard wired mine to the battery and put a little push switch under the dash so I can turn it on when I like. I like being able to turn it on when the car is turned off . I thougth it would be cool to get a LED Rainbow type to light to put in it so the light would change colors.

So someone's ride has big tires, 400 horse power, a big stereo, and in dash GPS. Big deal. Do the have a hood ornament that lights up? Noooooo! I love my little light and its little glow. I have mine wired to the P-15 toggle switch under the dash so it comes on when the dash lights are on.

I went down to Radio Shack and picked up a bulb like a flashlight bulb and sodered a wire to it then grounded it to the small plate that holds the emblem on to the hood. Run the wire to the headlight switch and it only comes on when lights are on. Cost six bucks for two bulbs and some wire. Works really nice and the bulb is really bright. No way am I paying for the orignal like on e-bay for $346 bucks that's crazy.

Who is doing the reproduction?

My '47 Desoto came with a clear Flying Lady. Somebody a few years back told me they had done a repro but it was actually not quite full size. If you end up buying one, ask if it's actual original size.

They come up on E-bay every month or two. Usually just the one, and it runs for 30 days..then goes away for a while.

But interesting about the size. My original chrome one is in pretty nice shape. Been thinking of making a casting of it and pouring my own clear resin to make my own "new" one.