Check out the price of gas

1940plymouth

And a gallon of cleaning solvent, (anyone remember that stuff?) was .50 cents at the local service station."What a service station" says my 26 y.o. son.

I told him it was something that existed along long time ago in a galaxy (NOT a furd) far far away....."What's a furd?" he asked. Never mind Son.

Gas has gone up 33 cents - I remember when it cost 33 cents.

I worked in a gas station when I was in the service and people would come in and get $1.00 worth of gas. If you had 4 guys in the car and they each put in a buck you could cruise all night.

Gas has gone up 33 cents - I remember when it cost 33 cents.

I worked in a gas station when I was in the service and people would come in and get $1.00 worth of gas. If you had 4 guys in the car and they each put in a buck you could cruise all night.

$3.35 in omaha right now.......19 cent gas is lowest I remember. Diesel has been higher than gas in the US since the gas companies fgured outhow to rape the trucking companies....

When I tell my grown kids that gas when I cruised back in the late 60's, Sunoco 260....remember that? was the most expensive gas at 35.9 they say .........no way..........

The problem today is the dam speculators. We have lots of gas in this country, but everytime someone in Iran or anywhere else in the middle east sneezes, the speculators get nervous and then ....up goes oil prices...........they need to rein in these guys with their doomsday logic.

sorry for the rant.

The cost of diesel here in Oz (Queensland) is presently about $5.68 for one of your US gallons. Our family business is consistently using around 3170 gallons of diesel per week. I often wonder whether it is the government or the oil companies that are making the profit from fuel sales.

When people ask me what sort of mileage I am getting out of my old truck, I tell them that I have no idea - when it needs fuel I fuel it up. The cost of my fuel bill pails into insignificance when one considers those with a fleet of vehicles to run daily!!!

Desotodav

When I tell my grown kids that gas when I cruised back in the late 60's, Sunoco 260....remember that? was the most expensive gas at 35.9 they say .........no way..........

The problem today is the dam speculators. We have lots of gas in this country, but everytime someone in Iran or anywhere else in the middle east sneezes, the speculators get nervous and then ....up goes oil prices...........they need to rein in these guys with their doomsday logic.

sorry for the rant.

Oil is a global commodity. Going to be tough to reign in that demand in India and China or world wide depletion of the conventional oil fields by coming down on speculators here.

On the plus side, I guess, is that I expected gas to be consistently above $5/gal here by now. That is why I bought a "daily driver" eight years ago that has gotten 45 MPG since new. I was wrong on my prediction about prices but I don't really worry about a "measly" $3 or $4/gal because of it either.

I remember going to Reighards service station in Altoona Pa., still operating as one of the oldest in the US they say, with Dad when I was a kid. The sign said .25 a gallon or 5 gal. for 1.00, Dad always said "Two dollars please" and they would wash the windshield, check the oil and pump the gas.

Problem was dad probably only made $2.00 an hour at that time. I remember paying .22 cents a gallon in 1950 for gas for my Cushman scooter and I made less than $20.00 a month delivering the news paper. When you compare todays average pay per hour to the average in 1960 gas is not all that high. In 1960 I made $1.10 an hour as a Draftsman in the Aircraft industry. Today the equivalent would be a Cad Drafter making $20.00 or more an hour.

My commercial fisherman friend uses 1000 gallons of diesel a day and it cost him 3.42 a gallon! How would you like to pay that bill? Although this year in four trips out into the Bearing sea he has caught over nearly 2 and 1/2 million lbs of fish! Pollock!

diesel is higher now because of our gov,,again mandateing ultra low sulfur fuel,,the refinement cost more now then it use too,so they say,,

the funny thing is, here where i live a ton of homes are heated with oil,same as diesel,,,with the warm winter we have been blessed with,the home heating providers have tons of fuel on reserve,,,and the price has not dropped,,,but when its cold,they raise the price with the old saying supply and demand,,,its all a scam,,,

i can remember paying 32 cents a gallon riding my mini bike when i was a kid,,,and my mother driving a full size mercury station wagon 1959 with a 390 C,I pulling in to the SERVICE station,,,and asking for 2 or some times 3 dollars,,,rarely did i hear fill her up,,,,

The tax for diesel fuel was raised in Finland in Jan.1st resulting ca. 40% increse in diesel fule price. Now at the peak of winter we need to use the arctic grade, thus price is well over 8 USD per gallon (same as "95" oct.gas). Price of fuel is a political decision in most countries nowadays...

Then again, it is clear to see that globally the traffic is an important environmental issue affecting our everyday lives and our childrens future. Therefore I do not complain for the high gas price.

What I DO object here in Finland also OWNERSHIP of a car or truck is heavily taxed. I do NOT understand what negative effect it could be me having two or three more cars in my yard or garage. One person can drive one car at a time in the end of the day, right? If I am fool enough to buy gas for my 440 New Yorker at this top price and drive it a 1000 miles/year that's what I pay for my stupid hobby and hopefully it makes me happy. However here I do have to pay almost an equal sum of yearly "car tax" just for having a registered vehichle in my ownership. That's political taxation.

My father ran a Gulf station when I was a young'in and I had to work in it. Gas regular was 19.9 cents a gallon and the pump had the three little balls that ran around and around. Of course if you couldn't afford regular they had a thing they called Gulftane. It didn't have lead in it.

Now we use this stuff like regular grade and they charge us more for not putting in the lead. Like the other gentleman said it is all a scam. I went with a truck driver to pick up a load for my dad once at the river depot. All grades and all kinds came out of the same barge. I saw three different brand trucks all pulled up to the same fill station. So much for one being better than another.

Price here in Mount Carmel, Tn this morning on the way to work is $3.45 for 87 octane. If Obama had allowed the pipe line in from Canada I bet the price per barrel would have really taken a nose dive but it's all about greed and who can make the most for the least.

Gents,

I read an ad for a 1929 Chrysler the other day in "Images of Motoring,

Chrysler Heritage, A Photographic History" by Michael Davis. The "New Good" Maxwell bought 25 miles to the Gallon in 1925. Gas was about 70 octane then. How could it get to this point?

The Car Companies still build Trucks and Cars that get 17-21 m.p.g. and Gas is now 87-93 octane. Gas was 11 cents a gallon then and that car cost $1,250.

Now with inflation everyone will argue its all relative, however, I say - Bullhockey. Cars should not cost $35,000, Robots build our cars now.

Somehow we as Americans better figure this one out soon or we will ressemble Finland, in Uncle Pekkas situation, and he doesn't sound happy. Government, Wall Street, or Oil Companies aren't going to fix it.

That leaves us, we the people,to fix it. Gas prices doubled in the last three years. Go Vote. Your and mine Forfathers fought and died for us to execise this right, lets get someone in there to get that Canadian Oil here where it belongs. We elected him/them to do a job - if they can't - we should fire them in November. It really is that simple. This is America.:)