Vacuum Canister

old rat 49

Thanks Don

I never saw anything like that bet it helps when it rains. The line are connect to ?? I had my vacuum pump rebuilt and while it does work OK I bet with this as a back up it works GREAT. Once my engine is rebuilt it should work better.

These canisters are a fairly standard hotrod item--storing some vacuum for the power brakes when running wild cams that don't draw all that well. Thus, you can find the canisters at the usual rodder hangouts: JEGS, Summit Racing, and so forth. I put one on my '50 Dodge when I went to power disc brakes--not sure it was necessary but it does provide a bit of a sense of security.

Look on the full size C-body mopars from the 60's through the 70's. They usually ran a vacuum canister for the Heat/Ac systems. The early ones are tin, but later they switched to plastic.

Also check older motor homes...they seem to run a vacuum canister regularly.

There was a vacuum canister behind the front bumper on the right side for the heat/AC controls on '91 Jeep Cherokee I once had.

You can get vacuum check valves at any auto supply store. You can get PVC pipe and end caps at any home center. Between the two you can make as big a vacuum reservoir as you'd like. Just need a place to hide it on your vehicle.

On a 53 ford I have someone made a cannister out of pvc pipe 1 1/2 inches in diameter and about 3 feet long and attached it to the hood. The drilled a hole for a check valve from a power brake booster inserted it and it leaked. I just put rtv sealant around it and the smaller fitting where the wiper tube is connected. It now works great. I have also read that to big a cannister in not very efficient because the draw needed to create vacuum in the cannister is so large it causes the wipers to go slow- that is what others have said. The 3 ft by 1 1/2 inches seems to work fine

Lou

... I have also read that to big a canister in not very efficient because the draw needed to create vacuum in the canister is so large it causes the wipers to go slow- that is what others have said....

Huh? I don't understand that at all.

Unless you just want a cannister made of tin..you can go to about any wrecking yard and grab vacuum resevoirs off a number of cars..they can be hidden away in the area betweenthe fender and cowl..a real trick look rectangular molded reservoir was on the 2004 Dodge Dakota..look for this on the underside of the wiper assembly cover...