Motorola 610-T Restoration

HanksB3B

So you think you want a Motorola 610-T do you? Well be prepared, it probably won't work and you don't really want to plug in a device operating at 6V at 6.8 Amps directly into your truck.

A very good friend of mine saw this on eBay: I think it flew under the radar because of how it was listed. I practiced "sniping" during the course of the eBay auction on small $1 and $2 items for my bicycle collection. I was sniped in the last couple of seconds but managed to out snipe the sniper.

Motorola_610-T.png

RadioAsFound.jpg

I'm sure a few of you country boys will immediately recognize the Mud Dauber Wasps Nest. No wonder the tuner didn't work. (Actually, there were three nests in all the visible one, the size of a golf ball and the other two marble sized ones were tucked up into the front part of the tuner)

AmpAsFound.jpg

60 years of "farm-dust" had to be removed in a process similar to an archeological discovery of a Wooly Mammoth.

Progress120201.jpg

Progress is slow going as each replacement part or wire needs research. Studying the 610-T Service Manual I bought on Ebay some years ago complete with the original schematic, photos and parts list are a big help. Sourcing parts like vacuume tubes and modern capacitors that match the electrical values takes some time too. Still working on my soldering skills.

Hank :)

Parts I need:

1. Original knobs

Missing Parts Resolved or in process of being Resolved:

2. Glass plate that has the radio stations (made one out of glass, copy/created font, had vinyl letters fixed to glass)

3. A 6x9 oval speaker (3.2 ohms) (purchased new speaker from S&M Electro Tech (763) 780 2861

4. Lower Right Speaker Grill donated by Todd B. Need to size guage of brass mesh to match Upper Right Speaker Grill and form/fit then chrome.

5. Mock-up Radio bracket used to secure radio to Steering Column Support with plummers tape, then fabricate "L" bracket.

Edited by HanksB3B

Hank is the glass similar to this? I suspect you could use the glass from a similar vintage car radio. This one is an 8tube version-a 6tube is probably closer to yours.

Photo0127.jpg

I bought mine on eBay but it was not complete because the Amp Unit was not included. It looks like an upgrade (later model) and is 6 Volt positive ground. It does fit into the stock hole in the dash of the 51-53 Pilothouse models.

As far as the glass is concerned I'm betting someone on http://antiqueradios.com/forums/index.php either knows how to do this or, offer it as a service. I have some Ideas, but could use some suggestions. I think the knobs will be the difficult thing and will remind the eBay seller to keep looking for them "in-the-barn" so to speak.

Thanks,

post-2934-13585366303396_thumb.jpg

Edited by HanksB3B

(I practiced "sniping" ) How does that work?

Hi Paul.

Should I tell him guys...or keep it as a secret?

O.K. I'll share a little. You need to know how close in seconds you can place a bid and here's one of the critical things; How few seconds left you can get down to the press the "Confirm" button for the eBay server to receive confirmation of your bid. Practice on some $1-$2 items to get the feel of it.

sniper5.jpg

Edited by HanksB3B

I bought mine on eBay but it was not complete because the Amp Unit was not included. It looks like an upgrade (later model) and is 6 Volt positive ground. It does fit into the stock hole in the dash of the 51-53 Pilothouse models.

As far as the glass is concerned I'm betting someone on http://antiqueradios.com/forums/index.php either knows how to do this or, offer it as a service. I have some Ideas, but could use some suggestions. I think the knobs will be the difficult thing and will remind the eBay seller to keep looking for them "in-the-barn" so to speak.

Thanks,

Hank so does Mark-I traded/sold that one to him. I believe it came out of a 53-54 car.

if/when another comes up you'll have the "list" of stuff to restore it w/ modern stuff

There is quite a lot to documenting the As-Found, Dissassembly and Reassembly process both photographically and also by keeping a Daily Progress Log so that if I stop for a while I can pick-up where I left off.

WOW! Congratulations, Hank. Be careful, though, you're not too far from Reg. I kept all the parts they took out of my radio when I had it restored. I'm pretty sure none of them are in working order, but let me know if you need a part number or something. Zeke (Yep, I'm still here!)

Glad you are still here. I'm wondering if it would not be too much trouble (certainly no rush) if you would be so kind as to take a picture of the glass radio dial showing the stations. If you could tape a ruler that shows the length, and take the picture face on I will most likey have a big headstart at re-create this missing part. I'll keep you posted on how the project is going.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been fun and I could probably do another one in 1/3 of the time. Plans are to run some temporary wires from the dashboard back to the tailgate where I'll set up a well padded "bench test" area and have a fire extinguisher at hand just in case the flux-capacitor decides to blow up (hopefully I'll have my electro-friend Andrew with me to minimize the likelyhood of getting to that point) Plan is to use an 8amp fuse (whereas it should be equiped with a 14amp fuse) just for startup. I could still certainly appreciate any input from you guys because my electrical knowledge is still in need of improvement.

Thanks, Hank :)

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

RadioDial.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Congratulations on a job well done with that old radio Hank. The quality of the radio certainly has gone ahead in leaps and bounds since the original condition that you obtained it in. That face plate looks like a NOS one now.

I see that you have obtained the speaker as well. I'm sure a few of the guys would be interested in seeing how that gets installed.

I've got my fingers crossed for you mate for the power-up! I don't reckon that you'll have any dramas though, given the time and effort you have put into the refurbishment. Good job!!!

Desotodav

Hank;

Very nice.... but I thought that your year truck was supposed to get a model 802 radio? There is a reconditioned one for sale on the inland empire Craigslist right now.

I installed hundreds of antennas as a grunt in the new car get-ready dept. of a Ford dealer back in the early 70's. Masking tape.....a sharp bit.....and an air powered drill. It is over so quick the paint doesn't get a chance to heat up. Just got to be certain of the correct location.

Personally I think the hood ornament on these trucks could use a tail. ;)

El Guapo

I'm not a radio historian but I'm under the impression that most owners of the 48-50 Series know there were two radios that mounted vertically (I think they were Motorola 801 and 802 models).

Owners of the 51-53 Series know that trucks were supplied in either one of three ways: No radio cut-out in the dash, Radio-cut-out with the "Radio Delete Plate" but no radio and lastly supplied with a Motorola 610-T (and recently a 611-T radio was purchased on eBay). All radios for the 51-53 Series are horizontal format. I'm not sure if I've ever seen what a 54 dash board looks like. I recently discovered the the 51-53 series trucks produced in Australia were produced with the 48-50 style dashboard (no change except they used that hard to match blue/grey color for the speedometer and instrument cluster).

There are other 6V Pos Ground radios that kind-of fit the factory cut-out in the 51-53 Series but do not have the unique radio bezel of the 610-T and 611-T. The Motorola 609 is one of them.

Clean-up-01.jpg

Tim I find your comment regarding the CD (Civil Defense?) stations pretty interesting. Since my Motorola Service Manual has no publication date on it I can't say you are wrong (nor do I care to) but I do know this is the correct radio for the 51-53 Series. There was no glass dial supplied with the radio as bought on eBay. I simply copied the numbers and font from the service manual and from Zeke's source information as well. (below)

attachment-4php.jpg

Edited by HanksB3B

per my source and the only real thing I have to go by is that the Plymouth judging sheets for 1954 clearly state that the 53 and 54 radio appear to be identical save the dial on the 54 which shows the CD station clearly etched in the glass..this was a 54 model year first..and if a radio with this CD dial were in a 53 the owner would lose points...