OT-Old police car!!!

JIPJOBXX

I got this one a while ago and thought it may be on-topic here...

Now that's trust and true love for you - having your wife help you test bullet proof glass in 1932.

I would imagine that workplace health and safety people would have way different ideas of how to test that sort of glass these days!

Desotodav

The car in the photo is a 1935 PJ Plymouth fitted with bullet proof windshield with gun ports, radiator and tire protection and probably an armour plated body. I'm not sure if this is the Sioux Falls, SD police car or not.

In 1934 John Dillinger and friends paid a visit to Sioux Falls. Dillinger was on the lam from the jail in Crown Point, Indiana (I believe). It was thought the SF bank held something like $800,000. During the robbery the gang ended up taking most (if not all) of the Sioux Falls police department hostage. After the robbery the city popped for an armour plated '35 Plymouth. By the time it was delivered Dillinger and most of his friends were either dead or in prison but I've often wondered what happened to that car???

The armour plating was installed by companies such as Perfection Windshield in Indianapolis and other companies. A fully "loaded" armour plated car added about 700 pounds of weight to the vehicle - equivalent of driving around with an extra engine and transmission in the back seat. I have a price sheet for the '35 conversions and its reproduced in my book "Plymouth Commercial Vehicles".