setting split rivets

ggdad1951

So, after thinking about how to set these pesky split rivets (for those of us crazy enough to go to that level in our rebuild/resto), a cold chisel came to mind right away, but that pretty much just flattened the split, weakening it severly at the root of the split. So, I made my own tool.

The tool is this simple. A piece of steel machined with a little over half diameter slots. Below you can see attempt #1 (right side) and #2 (left side). #1 was with a 1/4" diameter end mill and the other w/ a 3/16" end mill. I think the 3/16 is about perfect. Just machine your slots a little over half diameter and space them about .030" between the slots. Obviously a little playing around with spacing, depth and end mill diamter will tweak this in perfect. I can see that after a few dozen rivets this will need a remake since it's just CRS, but hardening it would make it last longer.

2012-01-20130640.jpg

The end mill is a problem for most to use as a drill. I trust a drill bit will work too?

Excellent problem solver!

Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Couldn't a person just drill the two 3/16" sized holes at the proper spacing about a half inch from the end of the piece of steel like thwe one you made. Then just Sawzal / hacksaw right through the center of the two holes (or where deemed necessary) then no end mill or modified drill bit necessary?

Dodgeb4ya said:
Couldn't a person just drill the two 3/16" sized holes at the proper spacing about a half inch from the end of the piece of steel like thwe one you made. Then just Sawzal / hacksaw right through the center of the two holes (or where deemed necessary) then no end mill or modified drill bit necessary?

yep, that's what I'd figure a guy could do. That's what I meant by cutting and grinding, cut the steel and grind to desired size. Also figure I'll case harden my final versions below. The 1/4" works good to start and if I really need to snug it down, a hit with the 3/16" does the trick.

2012-01-20154936.jpg

• 3 months later...

well, I've tried to take this further so I could set the rivets on the fenders tonight....and pretty much have thrown the towel in on using these in areas where I can't get my "anvil" tool I made in. I even modified a C clamp to try that, but it's just to hard to line everything up to get it to work. Guess I'm gonna have to pop rivet them....:(

Nice thing about using a pop rivet to add the fender filler and the dust seal is that no one will see it after it is all put back together. The secret is to put it together.

Dennis

yes, but I'll know! :o

And now we know. And we know that you know. And you know that we know that you know. But nobody else will know. Nor will they know that we know that you know that we know. ;)

As Tom Cruise's charactor said in Risky Business, "Sometimes you just gotta say, What the (explitive deleted)."

And now we know. And we know that you know. And you know that we know that you know. But nobody else will know. Nor will they know that we know that you know that we know. ;)

Until we fill the others in right?

Until we fill the others in right?

gee thanks guys....HEY LOOK! THE GOODRICH BLIMP! (as I sneek out of the saloon, name the movie).

Working in my garage a few years back. Suddenly there was a strange noise, stepped outside with camera in hand, snapped this picture. I waited a while for the "fly over" knowing that I was the lone pit crew for my race winning car but the fly over failed. Blimp was as good as it got.

blimp.jpg

Working in my garage a few years back. Suddenly there was a strange noise, stepped outside with camera in hand, snapped this picture. I waited a while for the "fly over" knowing that I was the lone pit crew for my race winning car but the fly over failed. Blimp was as good as it got.

But that isn't the "Goodrich blimp" that was referred to in the earlier post.

Mark can you combine your double arch tool with a vice grips to make a version for tight spaces?

kinda what I was going for with the C-clamp concept, ANY lateral movement hoses the rivet as one leg bends before the other. A vice-grips won't open far enough/have a deep enough throat and it really needs to be a linear motion (so a channel locks won't work).

I still have a few ideas, but as some have said, not really visible where I need to get things attached at this point.

Edited by ggdad1951

kinda what I was going for with the C-clamp concept, ANY lateral movement hoses the rivet as one leg bends before the other. A vice-grips won't open far enough/have a deep enough throat and it really needs to be a linear motion (so a channel locks won't work).

I still have a few ideas, but as some have said, not really visible where I need to get things attached at this point.

Probably a Rube Goldberg idea but looking at it like a stapler, maybe something that could hold the anvil clamped in place but with a free opening in the front of the tool would work. Kind of like your c-clamp idea except that you aren't trying to set the rivet with the clamp. That way you can position it as you like without messing up the rivet legs. Once in position and clamped then you insert a rivet and press/pound it in to set it.

Probably a Rube Goldberg idea but looking at it like a stapler, maybe something that could hold the anvil clamped in place but with a free opening in the front of the tool would work. Kind of like your c-clamp idea except that you aren't trying to set the rivet with the clamp. That way you can position it as you like without messing up the rivet legs. Once in position and clamped then you insert a rivet and press/pound it in to set it.

I'm thinking along the lines of making a linear motion clamp that has very contrained movement for the jaws....luckily I have access to CNC machining centers and a laser....I doubt I'll get anything figured in the next two days to a week.

no correct choice of movie as of yet...

I CAN set the split rives on the vertical seal, those you CAN see if you open the door and look.

still no correct answers on the movie....think Keano Reaves as one of the stars.

Used my tools today where I coul don my fenders. Work VERY well. THe 3/16 one worked the best. I case hardened the tools to make them last.

2012-05-06123812.jpg

2012-05-06123827.jpg

There is no Goodrich Blimp.....they don't have one....must be "Bill and Ted's excellent adventure".:D

48D

There is no Goodrich Blimp.....they don't have one....must be "Bill and Ted's excellent adventure".:D

48D

DING DING DING! Wink, tell him what he's won......

Back in the day, product placement isn't what it is today in movies....

I WON THE TRUCK! I WON THE TRUCK! YES!

I WON THE BIG RED TRUCK!

When can I come pick it up?

oh...and can you paint it blue? lol

48D