Where's a good source for stainless fender welt?

BobT-47P15

I need to replace the welt on the rear fenders of the P15

.....want to use the stainless (or chrome) stuff again.

I've noticed at least two

vendors who say shipping is high (like $35) for two 8 foot pieces.

I guess that must be because they keep them straight, so a

tube is probably required. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Dennis Carpenter..however..it is a long piece and shipping may be expensive...length may be oversize...you will want this in a sturdy box/tube also to prevent kinks..best thing to do is source a local swap meet for venders who deal and see if they will have some at an upcoming local event..

I purchased a "set" of 4 pieces to correctly do four fenders on a 41 Plymouth from a "popular" vendor in Mass.

The four pieces were shipped to me, taped to a 2 X 4. ($)

This actually was not the problem, they arrived in decent shape. The problem lied with the length of the stainless for the rear fenders! They both were about 5 inches too short!

Cost of the return, plus all the hassles with the vendor left me with short welt, and a search for a vendor at the Hershey Swap Meet.

Please, get a measurement of how long the welt is that you are buying, and confirm this length with the seller BEFORE your purchase.

Did you try Steel Rubber? Not sure of there shipping cost but a 25 foot roll is thirty bucks.

https://secure.steelerubber.com/search_frameset.php

Fender welting, bright chrome, 3/16" bead, 1-1/2" width. Superior quality. Available in 25 ft. or 50 ft. rolls.

70-1101-44...25ft..$ 30.00/ea.

70-1102-44...50ft...$ 54.40/ea.

1-800-447-0849

70110144.gif

Don,that stuff is chrome vinyl by the roll..it can be had also in a variety of colors..the true stainless is hard metal formed split stainless bead over a rubber beaded tab..has to be formed very carefully so as not to kink the stainless..

Carpenter has the stainless bead in 8 foot sections for 25.00 each...they carry p[art number 48-16070-SS

the 8 foot requires special shipping cost due to length..

I removed the rear fenders from the Bz Cp Saturday morning..I had one damaged piece of stainless on the one fender, SS was torm from the other..I did not measure it for length at this time..I will probably put a couple pieces of this on the Moutrie swap meet shopping list...first weekend of February..carry an 8 foot PVC tube with me in the van..

Edited by Tim Adams

Dennis Carpenter..however..it is a long piece and shipping may be expensive...length may be oversize...you will want this in a sturdy box/tube also to prevent kinks..best thing to do is source a local swap meet for venders who deal and see if they will have some at an upcoming local event..

Bob,

I believe I purchased mine from Dennis Carpenter. I think they come in an 8 ft length. This is good so you can practice on the bend near the rockers. I bought three lengths because it didn't cost any more to ship three as it does to ship two. Didn't need the third piece.

Exterior_02.jpg

See link for the blow by blow…

http://www.chetscoins.com/1948p15/2011/02122011.htm

Chet…

Wellll......I bought some welt from the same place as Chet.....Dennis

Carpenter.

It sells for $25 each 8 foot piece, plus only $9.99 for shipping.....instead

of $35 or more quoted by some other vendors.

The man I spoke with said they use a carboard shipping tube and do not

seem to have problems with that method. So the total 59.99.

Thanks for all the good input above.

• 7 years later...

How's that for a search. I pulled the rear fenders off my coupe, today. Cleaned the putty off, and want the same welting as my 49. Dennis Carpenter, seems to have what I want. It's $30 each and $10 now. Seeing how this thread is more than 7 years old, I just thought I'd show how a search can turn out. I'm glad I can still get a vintage welting.

• Like 1

FWIW - I used that chromed vinyl stuff on our D24 going on 25 or 26 years ago now.  It did not hold up well, started getting dull within five years, and wearing through within six or seven years after installed. 

16 years ago I bought black vinyal from Julian's rod shop, as my car is black and I had read about the struggles  folks had installing the stainless ones.  Was easy to put on, still looks new.  Austin Healey 3000used similar stuff with a slightly smaller bead. Might be easier to form that coumpound curve at the rocker fender interface.

Shows up pretty well here.

1964-austin-healey-3000-mark-iii.jpeg