Lug studs

Hi Guy's;

One more question...... We are trying to locate replacement studs for my 15" 3/4 ton hubs. I had a buddy who builds off road racer's press the old ones out and he is having trouble finding the right size replacement studs. Is this another case of having to go through a specialty supplier like Roberts? Or is there a aftermarket stud that we have just not come across? I would just as soon have the "modern" arrangement on these.

Thanks, Jeff

Dorman replacment studs are listed in their catalog by size..usually you start with the dimension of the knurled end, then go to stud diameter and TPI and then to overall length and often there is another meausrement for the tapered section just in front of the knurl and before the threads..

I had to press the one out of my axle and measure all this and get the correct stud as the application data did not compute with thier books..but buying by the dimensions put me right on the money...

If they are not knurled..what would keep them from wanting to eventually cut loose? anyway..this may be a good time to consider the possibility of bolt in studs..do you have a larger base hole than the stud itself? if so can this be threaded to a corresponding stud of the proper diameter and base hole thread??

Hi Tim;

They were definitely a pressed fit. Took a pretty good sized press to get them out....and they are flanged with the flange to the backside so there was no was they could come out. Also there was no evidence that any of them had ever spun in the hole. I can tell you we were both surprised by the lack of knurling. I am 99% certain that these were the original studs too. I certainly have never seen this type of fitment on lugs before......but I have never owned a Mopar product before either. :confused:And I have only had this one for a couple of weeks.

In general I really like the truck and the way it was built. It is really going to great when it comes back to life.

I suppose every vehicle has it's good points and it's odd points. For me the most peculiar thing about these trucks is the placement and design of the master cylinder arrangement. I really wonder what the thought process was that was behind this. I am certain that it must work just fine when it is up to snuff. I just don't recall ever seeing one not located somewhere on the firewall.......and with such a small reservoir.

Thanks again for your advice.......I will get the hang of these trucks....I promise!

Jeff

You're used to seeing the new stuff with disc brakes. Drum brakes need a smaller amount of fluid because they don't use as big of cylinders. so they get smaller reservoirs. Go back a few years where front disc and rear drum were common and you find a large res and small res in the master. Small one was for the drum. Under the floor was common placement in the era these trucks were built.

When I first bought my truck in the 90's NAPA was able to get both the front and rear studs that were missing. Take a sample with you-they had a hardcopy catalog that they matched by size, not application. Mike

Take your stud down to the NAPA store. They should have a book wirh all the sizes with measurements. get one that looks close order one and see if it works. If it don't work beat it back out and get a different size.

yes, I got my studs at NAPA by comparing them to the ones in the catalog that were 1:1 drawings.

Thanks Guy's;

We'll give Napa a shot next week. I have to get a hold of a puller to get the rear drums off. The drivers side has 3 broken studs. I did order the workshop manual from Roberts so that should help a lot with my questions.

You are right of course....most of the cars and trucks I've worked on have been a bit newer than this. My recent vintage work has been of the 2 wheel variety. This Pilothouse is going to make a really great bike hauler among other things.

I did have a Model A back in the early 70's but it doesn't count as it had been street-rodded sometime in the late 50's. And what a mongrel it was. Very early SBC 265 /powerglide drivetrain, 48 Merc front spindles & brakes on a dropped axle coupled to the original worm and sector steering box by a steering rod off a White Freightliner. And all this had been done without cutting the firewall. Found out early on what the term "Death trap" means when I had to swerve and I got it up on the two passenger side wheels with myself and two passengers on board. Got real lucky that time........

Jeff