Thermostat housing

Hi Guy's;

I need to find a new thermostat housing for my 52 B-3-C. Roberts does not carry this item. Anyone know of a source for these? This is the small plain sheet metal version.

Thanks, Jeff

got a picture? I could maybe fab one for ya if it's easy.

If I recall correctly, the non-bypass thermostat on my '33 Plymouth was the identical replacement part number for the one in the '63 D200 with a 318 V8 I once owned. I wouldn't be surprised if a generic Mopar thermostat housing for a much later engine would also fit on my '33 engine. Since it seems you don't have the bypass style thermostat I'm guessing that could be true for you too.

Hi Tod;

Well not sure about this. Went to the local Dodge dealers parts dept.this am.......all they had were much smaller.......and quite frankly they were not much help either......I won't bother with them again. Too bad as they are literally walking distance from my shop.

This really seems like an item that should be fairly easily obtained as new....the one I have is very corroded and has at least 2 weld repairs on it. I would guess this is pretty typical ? I am a total newbie to old Mopars so I am still trying to get a handle on parts availability.

Jeff

I ran into the same problem when rebuilding the engine in my '53. After a lot of frustration, I picked up a factory thermostat housing from a 273 I had laying around. It's a match for the one on my flathead. So, I suspect any of the older Mopar small block thermostat housings would work.

Hi Guy's;

Thanks for your input.

Honestly I would have thought that the local Dodge dealership could handle what seems on the surface, a simple cross reference on a very simple part. I suppose I have a lot to learn .......

On the plus side I have already had great dealings with Then & Now who had a fuel pump repair kit to me in 2 days. And have placed my first :eek: of many probable orders with Gary Roberts. In each instance these people were very knowledgeable and helpful......so that is a good sign.

I just got off the phone with Vintage Power Wagons about this housing and they seem to be good as well. I told Matt there what I was after and he asked for photos as they have several variants...some new, some NOS and some used...so you can't ask more than that. Who knows? Maybe they even have that most desirable of factory accessories....... a Ma Deuce mount. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Jeff

Honnestly I would have thought that the local Dodge dealership could handle what seems on the surface, a simple cross reference on a very simple part.

Pfff..:P

Glad you are working with Roberts and VPW. Shipping is expensive these days so the more you order at one time the better off you'll be.

Sounds like things are moving along, make sure to give me a call if you ever come up north a ways.

Hank :)

Hank;

Yes......have made a fair amount of progress since you visited. Wheels are off and at the powder coater's...... 95% of all the surface rust that was on it is gone now and we are repriming ........radiator is being rebuilt.....parts ordered.......carb and fuel pump ready to rebuild... distribution tube is out......inner fenders, shrouds etc....are cleaned and painted.....etc....etc...etc...

In the immortal words of Ricky Nelson...."I don't mess around boy"

I will definitely get by to see you in the near future.....gotta see your truck too.

Jeff

VPW had one of these same style of housings I was looking for too. After over a year of searching, they hooked me up. It seems the non-bypass style is the harder one to find, as I came across several of the cast bypass style housings during my past search.