More newbie questions.....

Hi Guy's,

I took the front wheels off today for the first time. I will get this pair blasted, coated and some new rubber on these to start off with. All of my wheels (15") have studs and lug nuts....so I suppose it got modified years ago.

I did find that the driver side lugs need some attention. Looks like two of the front wheel studs are bent.....they are "wrong way" threads so this probably explains why it is this side. The drivers side rear actually has 3 studs broke off. So here comes my question....... what is the repair procedure for this? And should it be left in this thread pattern or should it be revised to "modern configuration" to prevent issues in the future?

And just so you know ...... it wasn't me that did this. :rolleyes:

The only other damage I have found to the undercarriage is a bent tie rod. I think this must have happened when the seller loaded in on the trailer and delivered it. Must have had one of the tie-down traps on it and this bent it. There are no signs of impact type damage on the rod. So my next question is is it safe to have this straightened out and reuse it? There is little or no evidence of rust or corrosion visible anywhere on this.

One more question. I have removed the fuel pump and it looks like it would be a very easy item to rebuild. Do most of you repair this item yourselves?

It appears to be in excellent condition and has a glass bowl filter element built into it. I read the recent post about fuel line replacement and was already intending to drop the tank and replace the lines..... I believe we should learn from "history" and I definitely don't want to be the next person with this same story.

Thanks, Jeff

fuel pump rebuild is super easy, I'd rebuild if I were you.

On my truck I said screw it and put all "modern" studs on. No left side/right side on my truck, much easier to deal with. No idea if I'd get nicked on that in judging.

In my truck I replaced all the lines, fuel and brake, with lines from FedHill that are the cupro-nickel, bend by hand but NO reust EVER!

Hi ggdad 1951'

Thanks for your reply. That FedHill tubing looks to be a great way to go. Did you pop for the flaring tool as well? I would be interested to know what sizes and quantities you ended up ordering to do your truck. I think I would like to do all the lines on mine with this material.

Thanks; Jeff

Keep up the great work on your truck......very inspiring!

Only the 1/2 ton trucks used lug bolts. The 3/4 up used studs and nuts. And left hand thread on the left side is correct, but anyone working on the wheels needs to be aware of it.

For fuel pump rebuild kits check with Then and Now Automotive / Antique Auto Parts Cellar. Good people, good rebuild kits. http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm

Merle

Hi ggdad 1951'

Thanks for your reply. That FedHill tubing looks to be a great way to go. Did you pop for the flaring tool as well? I would be interested to know what sizes and quantities you ended up ordering to do your truck. I think I would like to do all the lines on mine with this material.

Thanks; Jeff

Keep up the great work on your truck......very inspiring!

yah I did the tool "rental"....bast dang thing I did, once everything was sized it took no time at all to get the flares on. I got 6' of the 3/16" for the oil pressure line, 25' of the 1/4" for the brake lines (past the distribution manifold), 25' of the 5/16" for the fuel line and brake line from the MC to the brake manifold. That did all my lines with some left over for "oopses".