OT computer help request

greg g

the left click on the touchpad of my laptop suddenly quit responding. Right click works and cursor moves as normal, but double clicking or tapping the touch pad to open stuff doesn't work. However on the desktop, using the left click does respond similarly to using the select tool, that is if I click and move it it will leave a highlighted box box on the screen.

Right clicking on an icon will bring up the dialog box, but it will not respond to the open command.

Wondered if any of you fellows may have some things I might try before I take ti to the local geek shop and spend 100 bucks for a basic service.

don't have a mouse or don't have a mouse connection? I will admit Ihave only messed with a couple laptops..then they had external mouse port connections same as with keyboard port..I will admit Ihave not messed with this stuff in quite a bit..if no connection..may be a bit of a prob seperating hardware from software..

the left click on the touchpad of my laptop suddenly quit responding. Right click works and cursor moves as normal, but double clicking or tapping the touch pad to open stuff doesn't work. However on the desktop, using the left click does respond similarly to using the select tool, that is if I click and move it it will leave a highlighted box box on the screen.

Right clicking on an icon will bring up the dialog box, but it will not respond to the open command.

Wondered if any of you fellows may have some things I might try before I take ti to the local geek shop and spend 100 bucks for a basic service.

I would spend 15 on a remote mouse at wal mart first, First step in trouble shooting....and when all is said and done you have a remote mouse to boot:)

What Don said. And Tim.

I use a Bluetooth mouse with my laptop. Dang pad is so sensitive when I type, I always end up jumping around a page of typing. Turn the pad off and use the wireless. Makes life easier.

I would attach some type of external mouse and see how it works. Borrow it from your desktop to test. If it's USB you can unplug and plug it in without a restart.

Cheers!

John

I have a laptop that the left mouse button on the keyboard doesn't have any effect, I think just what you are describing. A corded mouse works just fine. Biggest problem I had was finding one. Best buy didn't have any anymore.

I solved it by adding the corded mouse and giving it to my manager and letting him use it! I got another one that works.

Haven't had a desk top for nearly 10 years. so any mice hanging around will be a corded one, and there is no port for that style. So I may need to go find a usb one or a cheapie IR deal. I have gotten so used to the touch pad, a mouse seems like devolving.

Haven't had a desk top for nearly 10 years. so any mice hanging around will be a corded one, and there is no port for that style. So I may need to go find a usb one or a cheapie IR deal. I have gotten so used to the touch pad, a mouse seems like devolving.

Sorry to hear about your problem Greg. I have seen several laptops with this problem but it doesnt happen very often. It could be a driver (software) issue but more likely a hardware problem. I have been using my laptop for 4 years now and I only use the touchpad when I take the laptop other places. I do use a $15 (On Sale) wireless mouse with the nano plug in.

Without it in front of me I couldnt tell you for sure but the ribbon cable that makes it talk to the main board could be off a bit. What brand and model is it. I may be able to get you through checking it. PM me if interested in some help.

:)

Greg,

at least try to update (and perhaps uninstall first) the driver and the software for configuring the touchpad.

I did this remotely for my son on his laptop (my mouse worked fine) and then whole worked again. That was a Synaptics touchpad.

I checked your Acers specs and that one also has a Synaptics touchpad.

I would download the latest one.

Hope this helps.

John