The rarest part ever?

townwagon

Reg,

I think you may be right, the passenger side short mirror arm is one of the rarer parts out there.

The high end heater is fairly common in comparison as one out of every 10 or so trucks I find has parts of one left. The problem with getting a high end heater these days is that some of the items are super hard to find, but it is clear from the trucks I have found that it was a semi popular option originally.

Bumper guards show up a lot if you count things like trucks for sale on eBay. 51-53 radios are pretty rare, but also show up from time to time in whole trucks.

The internal mirror and passenger side mirror both seem to be rare even on whole trucks that are pictured around the web.

I'm not sure what to make of the windshield washer, I agree it is rare but I am not sure if the ones I have seen are original dealer installed items or aftermarket items.

Eric

The factory optional vacuum tank is rare too.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Guys,

I was wondering what other people considered the rarest of the 1948-53 optional parts? Things like bumper guards, 610T radios, passenger side short arm rear view mirror brackets, rear bumpers, etc.

The rarest part I have found in a long time is pictured below. A factory rear view mirror center bar. This one came out of a 1953 B-4-C-116 that I found a little while ago.

How many of these are known to exist? Has anyone found one on a 1948-50 truck? With a whopping total of one truck to use for comparison it is hard to be sure what trucks Dodge installed these in from the factory.

How does this rate on the rarest part scale? Is the 1948-50 passenger side external mirror are rarer?

What is your vote for the rarest part?

Eric

any chance of a side view with a tape measure next to it?

thanks!

Here are some more pic's. The bar fits 1948-53. I compared early 1948 B and later1951-3 B trucks to be sure. They are all the same.

Bob

My 1948 2-1/2 ton had 6 volt. 1951 and later most have electric as I have seen.

A quick look in the B-Series Trucks "bible" from Mr. Bunn shows that electric wipers were offered as an option. However, the B1's and 2's had electric wipers as standard in the Custom cabs, and the B3's and 4's has electric wipers as standard in the Deluxe and Custom cabs.

Merle

I think those were not made by MoPar but some folks preferred to mount the tire there rather than under the truck where it's hard to get to so they would make a mount or buy an after market one. I added this one on my 52 that I took off another truck I had.

DSCF0022-1.jpg

Now here's a pretty rare accessory made by MoPar. A fender mounted step for easier access to the high sided beds.

fenderstep.jpg

• Like 1

The rarest Dodge factory offered option....is.....?

The spare tire safety lock kit!!!! Anyone have one? I'm sure no one has one on their truck!!:D

I'm sure that I saw one on Ebay a while ago Bob but didn't know what it was. Is it something like this one presently listed ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yale-50s-Spare-Tire-Lock-w-2-NOS-keys-Mopar-Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge-DeSoto-/280761623074?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item415eb26222#ht_500wt_1413 . How do they work?

Desotodav

Desotodav,

I found this option in the Dodge truck master parts book. Just a part numbert no pictures. The number is really an old one. So I'm sure it was installed on the 30's cars. I have just never seen one in the truck literature or ever on a truck and have never talked to anyone who had one on their truck.

Why would you really want one for a truck? Maybe a big truck with big costly tires.

Bob

Very interesting.

Any of you guys near Idaho as this 52 parts truck appears to have some rare parts still attached... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Cap-1952-Dodge-truck-/290653743512?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item43ac502998#ht_500wt_1413 . Side tire mount, Rear bumper, locking gas cap, cab roof-mounted interior mirror, grille/parker light parts, right external mirror mount?

Desotodav

Very interesting.

Any of you guys near Idaho as this 52 parts truck appears to have some rare parts still attached... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Cap-1952-Dodge-truck-/290653743512?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item43ac502998#ht_500wt_1413 . Side tire mount, Rear bumper, locking gas cap, cab roof-mounted interior mirror, grille/parker light parts, right external mirror mount?

Desotodav

Interior mirror might be the visor, front bumper with bumperettes, grille bars and center piece appear good and has a period spot light and cab clearance lights.

My 49 has had bumper guards, locking gas cap and a center bar interior mirror since the day it left the line. My dad has the build sheet at his house. The truck was bought new by HIS dad.

I found a plain center bar under the seat.

I had to break the locking gas cap to remove it. Tumbler seized and the key broke off in it. Sometime before I drug it out of Grandma's barn in 1994. Where it had been sitting since 1974.

You want rare? I have the stock spare tire, still in the rack under the bed. Grandpa had 9 wheels for the truck, I kept the best 5. 2 of them are the temporary driver's seat.

Pic's would be nice to see the original accessory parts and tire!

It will take some digging. Not many pics of it. Sat in the barn in Puyallup from 74-94, drug it to WSU for about 4 months, then it sat in Graham in my parents back yard from 94-2011.

Now it sits next to my house an hour outside Memphis. Only pic I could find easily on the "confuser"...:D You can kind of see the center bumper guard. I got the grill nameplate from Reg years ago.

1949Dodge.jpg

Another really rare part for the bigger H and up trucks. Cable drive tach.:eek: