The rarest part ever?

townwagon

Guys,

I was wondering what other people considered the rarest of the 1948-53 optional parts? Things like bumper guards, 610T radios, passenger side short arm rear view mirror brackets, rear bumpers, etc.

The rarest part I have found in a long time is pictured below. A factory rear view mirror center bar. This one came out of a 1953 B-4-C-116 that I found a little while ago.

How many of these are known to exist? Has anyone found one on a 1948-50 truck? With a whopping total of one truck to use for comparison it is hard to be sure what trucks Dodge installed these in from the factory.

How does this rate on the rarest part scale? Is the 1948-50 passenger side external mirror are rarer?

What is your vote for the rarest part?

Eric

post-282-13585365480619_thumb.jpg

post-282-13585365480881_thumb.jpg

post-282-13585365481141_thumb.jpg

I've seen one factory interior mirror center bar at a wrecking yard but didn't have the time to pull it off for my driver. The factory B-3 hood ornament has been something I've never seen as it has a different part number than the B-1 / B-2 hood ornament. The B-3 / B-4 passenger mirror short arm is another rarity, as well as the accessory fender steps that mount on the B-1 / B-2 / B-3 rear fenders, but I've seen a few of those now & again. One of my greatest eBay finds is the NOS B-1 / B-2 passenger mirror short arm with parts tag attached, but I found that back in '99 and haven't seen another come along since.

I have an NOS in the box hood ornament with the later B-3 part number. The actual ornament (which has clearly been in the box the whole time) has the same casting number as the 48-50 ornament. I have also pulled a couple of the ornaments off of B-3 trucks and all of those had the same casting number inside as well. From what I have heard nobody has ever seen an ornament with the B-3 part number cast inside and all the ornaments that people do claim are for the later trucks seem to turn out to be car ornaments when you check the number.

Do you remember if that center bar with the mirror that you saw was in a B-1, B-2, B-3, or B-4?

Nice find on the NOS mirror!

Eric

Goose neck mirrors and cow pusher bumper guards are rare for 1946-1948 Chryslers, and I would imagine for Plymouths and Dodges'.

Rope Rails also (Pull Ropes behind the front seats) mounted on a Panel with Chrome Handes with built in spring returns for the rope.

Grab Straps for getting out of the back seats or even original Metal exterior Sun Visors.

Oh one more - Window Washing (Jar and the floor push button works equipment) too. These all demand premium prices today.

Tough to find any of these "accsessories" any more.

Tom

I found my internal mirror bar on a 53'ish Dodge coupe truck. I actually picked up the truck for that part alone. The fellow that owned it said that he wanted all the running gear but I could have the rest. After many hours of wrecking the truck and returning most of the good bits to the truck's previous owner, I had myself a used mirror centre bar (which I used in my 52 truck). I have another one here somewhere but I'm not sure what it came off.

I found Desoto bonnet emblems the hardest part to find over here. I ended up having mine made.

Desotodav

post-7583-1358536548512_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585365485425_thumb.jpg

I'd kill for one of those mirror bars!

The 610-T radio, passenger mirror, passenger visor, to name a few, all seem very rare. Has ANYONE ever seen the windshield washer kit shown in the accesories pages in parts book?

the mirror bar I saw was on a B-1; maybe I'll be able to take another shot at it before somebody decides to sell what's left of the truck for scrap.

I think I might have some of the windshield washer kit installed on one of my parts trucks...the nozzle and foot pumper are about all that is left (the reservoir is shot to pieces), and they look similar to what I've seen in the accessory catalog. But this is the same parts truck that has some sort of shut-off valve under the seat that was plumbed from the fuel neck to who-knows-whut, so I'm not certain if that nozzle contraption is factory or aftermarket.

There has been quite a bit of talk on the "factory made" inside mirror division bars. I have at least a couple of them. Pictures have been posted on this confusing whats the original subject!

Also shown that is very rare on the Dodge trucks is factory cab grab handles. They are different than most all other truck grab handles. They are somewhat standard on the low production 3 and 4 ton trucks but were offered on the 1/2 tonners too.

Another very rare accessory are the factory Dodge arrow fender mount turn signals. I have some I'm going to restore that I just found in my stash I got many moons ago and had forgot I had them! Whew getting older:rolleyes:

4 ton Grab handle (1).JPG

DT factory Tach Air Gauge H Duty T Signals.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Repost deleted pictures
  • Like 1

I will have to take pics of the turn signals. I'll do it this week end. They are different than all the others. I forgot the COE's trucks had those handles too. Do you have a set and pics?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Dodgeb4ya

What's the chain for and what is that other thing hanging down near the mirror? looks like it wired in.?

The chain is for the air horns. The thing hanging down is a air brake low pressure "WigWag". Low air pressure-less than 60 lbs will let the arm fall down swinging in front of your face to warn you you might crash and burn! I also have an audible 6 volt buzzer that makes noise when under 60 lbs.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

There has been quite a bit of talk on the "factory made" inside mirror division bars. I have at least a couple of them. Pictures have been posted on this confusing whats the original subject!

Also shown that is very rare on the Dodge trucks is factory cab grab handles. They are different than most all other truck grab handles. They are somewhat standard on the low production 3 and 4 ton trucks but were offered on the 1/2 tonners too.

Another very rare accessory are the factory Dodge arrow fender mount turn signals. I have some I'm going to restore that I just found in my stash I got many moons ago and had forgot I had them! Whew getting older:rolleyes:

well if you got one bar that'd fit a B3D and you'd like to find a home for...x-mas IS coming up!

Just to clarify, does the flat area where the mirror mounts make it a "factory" center bar?... as opposed to the regular bar which has no such thing? Were the non-factory rear vier mirrors installed the the dealer?

I know mine is plain and the mirror mount hole looks like it was drilled, not stamped.

Aside from this one, the 610-T gets my vote. I know of a guy (Bob's Radio in Pismo, CA) who's been restoring old radios his whole life and has never seen one.

Thanks,

The 2 styles of factory MoPar turn signal switches are very rare too.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Factory fresh air option on a 1/2 or 3/4-ton. Strangely enough, I've seen the fresh air option with the bulked up heater on larger trucks like the B-3-D but not on the smaller ones.

That B3D in the picture is sitting down the road from me. It teases me everyday. It had a functional right side sunvisor, the fresh air kit, and the factory turn signals. The owner is just letting it sit there and rust (windows are open) because "one day he might just fix it up".

post-7152-1358536550677_thumb.jpg

Factory fresh air option on a 1/2 or 3/4-ton. Strangely enough, I've seen the fresh air option with the bulked up heater on larger trucks like the B-3-D but not on the smaller ones.

That B3D in the picture is sitting down the road from me. It teases me everyday. It had a functional right side sunvisor, the fresh air kit, and the factory turn signals. The owner is just letting it sit there and rust (windows are open) because "one day he might just fix it up".

Thats an F or bigger series 1-1/2 tonner- getting kinda ugly sitting out there.

Bob