Making sparks

Jeff Balazs

Hello All;

I am going to make a run to Napa later this morning to try and see if they have a rebuild kit for my carb. I should probably see if they have plugs and a condenser as well. My question is do I just replace the Champion J-8 plugs with same or is there a better suited plug for these motors? It appears that the engine I have is slightly newer than the truck itself being a 54 -56 series 230.

Thanks, Jeff

on the spark plugs, heat range and base aside the choice of plugs will be that of brand loyalty to the majority of reader/owners...me, I would not put a Champion in a lawn mower much less an automobile I will need to depend on...it is funny to most this attitude but years ago when making a living as a mechanic, Champion cost me a lot of time and expense do to poor quality..have they improved over the years? I don't know..that left a pretty bad taste in my mouth back then...second chances are not often given..

on the spark plugs, heat range and base aside the choice of plugs will be that of brand loyalty to the majority of reader/owners...me, I would not put a Champion in a lawn mower much less an automobile I will need to depend on...it is funny to most this attitude but years ago when making a living as a mechanic, Champion cost me a lot of time and expense do to poor quality..have they improved over the years? I don't know..that left a pretty bad taste in my mouth back then...second chances are not often given..

About the mid 80's Champion quality control was sworn at much more than praised. A box of 10 would often have as many as 4 that wouldn't fire on initial install and more that would fail after only a few hours. I made my living back then pulling wrenches as well and my personal choice for plugs still doesn't include Champion. Hopefully and assuming they're better now but I'm not using them.

Back when these engines were run on a constant basis, you ran Delco in the GM's and Champion in everything else. Plug loyalty is a lot like oil loyalty- if it works for you, you stay with it.

Make sure you take the dizzy number when you get turn up parts. There are at least three different ones and the opints rotors and caps are not interchangable.

I was a Champion guy for years till I put AC 45 in my flattie. the other on is a Autolite. I think 403 but use the AC45 as a cross reference.

Hi Guy's;

I know what you mean about Champions......never my first choice.... by a long shot.

Had numerous issues that could be directly traced to those awful things.

NGK has always been my go to brand. I have solved all kinds of problems with these in Autos, Bikes and Boats......I think it is that they seem to produce a plug that actually runs within the heat range they say it will. They also seem to offer more ranges, plug designs and tech support than a lot of the others.

A few years back I built a 60 year old Brit trials bike that used a magneto. I chose to equip it with a non stock carb as I absolutely despise the original Amal carbs. It took a while to find the right plug for this application....but the tech support that was most helpful came from NGK.

I am having a blast working on the Pilothouse. What a great old truck. I am so glad I chose to go in this direction instead of a C or an F. They really did a nice job with these trucks. I especially like the removable floorboards. Took those up for the first time today.....and low and behold found where the ground strap goes to. Was also able to look at the fluid drive filler plug and get a better view of the master cylinder. I have never owned a truck with this feature....Wow is that nice! I haven't even come across a buggered up bolt yet. Double Wow!

I found a "new" friend behind the counter at Napa today. He has a 50 Chevy and understood exactly what I was after....first words out of his mouth was "cool a Dodge huh...you don't see many of them". We spent a bit of time going through the parts books and it seems I will be able to get quite a few of the basic items I need directly from them. He told me they are actually in the process of expanding the items they carry for older vehicles. This is huge as far as I am concerned..... In this day and age who would have thought?

Thanks again for your help and advice and have a great Holiday!

Jeff

Hi Guy's;

I am having a blast working on the Pilothouse. What a great old truck. I am so glad I chose to go in this direction instead of a C or an F. They really did a nice job with these trucks. I especially like the removable floorboards. Took those up for the first time today.....and low and behold found where the ground strap goes to. Was also able to look at the fluid drive filler plug and get a better view of the master cylinder. I have never owned a truck with this feature....Wow is that nice! I haven't even come across a buggered up bolt yet. Double Wow!

picture please, this is a question I've been trying to answer!

ggdad 1951;

I will take some pictures of this but I am out of the shop until Monday.

I know...... it really helps to see a photo. One of the things I am going to ask about is a photo of the return spring on the throttle......mine is missing and a photo will answer this quicker than words.

You have a great Holiday. Have really enjoyed reading about your project.....nothing is better than when you pay homage to your family.

Jeff

ggdad 1951;

I will take some pictures of this but I am out of the shop until Monday.

I know...... it really helps to see a photo. One of the things I am going to ask about is a photo of the return spring on the throttle......mine is missing and a photo will answer this quicker than words.

You have a great Holiday. Have really enjoyed reading about your project.....nothing is better than when you pay homage to your family.

Jeff

pictures yet? thanks!

these trucks were originally built with that ground cable running to the transmission case cuz it's a short run (cheaper to build). But over time, corrosion at all of the thread surfaces of bolts & tapped holes increases resistance cumulatively to put a drag on the starter motor, etc. Ol' Gene at the starter/alternator shop in town told me awhile back to run that 1/0 cable from the battery to one of the starter bolt mounting holes to reduce this cumulative resistance. I did so on the '49 with new 1/0 cables with new soldered lugs, and WOW that starter spun fast and cranking time went waaay down to get that 230 to fire up. It's an easy modification that yields instant results and only the trained eye would know that this cable routing is not accurate to the original manufacture but could have been done back in the day because the technology (i.e. longer cables with soldered lugs) existed back then.

Edited by JBNeal
revised information
  • Like 1

Dave;

I believe it is a 1/0 cable... It is at least the same size as the old ones that were in it.....I will have to take another look. Never had a 6 V system before......

49 Dodge 1ton;

That sounds like a great idea.....I wasn't thrilled with the turnover speed.

What about the old starter motors? Are they work or don't work or will a fresh one make a big difference? I kind of doubt that this one has been called into service in the last 20+ years.....but it cranked the engine over right away.

Thanks for your help, Jeff

Ol' Gene took my starters apart, cleaned out old oil&dirt that had accumulated over the years, put in new motor contacts and cleaned the starter switch contacts (did similar work with my generators)...cleaning out the crud reduces internal resistance, making for less current draw for the starter and more current output for the generator when in use.

Dave;

It turned out to be a 1 ga. cable........and it had a non soldered terminal.

Guess I will get something more appropriate.

And maybe go directly to the starter motor mounting bolt....just to be on the safe side.

49 Dodge had a good point here. I suppose a couple of aux. ground jumpers is not a bad idea as well. Might prevent a host of difficult to diagnose electrical faults once the old truck is rewired.

Thanks, Jeff

• Like 1