Engine Rebuilding Gotchas...

Guest TestUser

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Beto0311 said:

Make sure all orifices are plugged up before starting it, ....save your self a complete clutch flywheel teardown. And a huge oil spill. 

For me it showed up doing a pressure test with an external tank before putting on the clutch and in the truck!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bags, tags and coffee cans. Lots of pictures. Shop manual at your side. I like to photo copy pages often used so the greasy fingerprints don't ruin the manual. I also like to laminate a page with torque specs and adjustment procedures.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not really a “gotcha “ but something I found handy 

When reinstalling the little two piece valve retainers, smear a little new grease in the locking rings on the valve stem before dropping in the valves then you can stick one side at a time to the valve and spin it around to install the next piece without the need to buy another one use tool, once both sides are seating snugly against the valve, lower your spring compressor 

works great and as always, plug those big oil drain cavities before starting this operation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

Internal c-clip snap rings at the piston pins...The sharp edge side points out away from the piston pin. Look closely you'll a one side has rounded edges. Place the rounded edge side toward the piston pin. 

Got me! Going back in today disassemble and address this.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1