Opinions on R10 trans.

Adam H P15 D30

Hello All,

I have the oppertunity to purchase an R10 for a really good price. Only problem I will have to replace the governor (dropped) and input shaft to work with my Fluid Drive. Came out of a 57 Mopar. Any thoughts on how much the shift governor might cost me? How hard is it to swap the input shaft from my 3 speed? THANKS!!!!!

Check out the position of the shift shafts on the side cover, yours should be different. one over the other rather than side by side. Your shifting mechanism will require reworking the motion to make it work. I turned down a transmission like that for $100.00 because it would require to much work to modify my shifter. One could use a three speed floor shifter to shift it and then could use it.

Edited by james curl

I do not know if the side covers will interchange, would be something if they would. The engineers at Plymouth might have thought of that and just designed a new side plate to fit the old transmission thus saving cost of tooling a new transmission. You might pull the side plate and compare the gear shift forks of the old transmission to see if it would work on the O.D. transmission.

After reading "Blueskies" website again, he tried to use a 55 Dodge O/D and had to swap the input shaft. He mentioned there was a difference and it was NOT a direct swap...... I also have to swap my FD input shaft so it might not be a direct swap. I'm not too worried about modifying the shift linkage if the side covers do not interchange but finding / buying an input shaft as mine may not swap could be hard or expensive???

Mopar changed their manual transmissions in '57 and about the only thing even similar was the parking brake and driveshaft attachment. The bolt pattern in front, the shift arms and their functions, the gear ratios and sizes were all different. Linkage would have been very similar to Fords, Chevys, and most of the rest of the industry.

'40 through '56 had much greater compatability.

Paul H