230 head thickness, stock

kencombs

I'm going to start on mu 230 this winter. I have a spare head from a previously rebuilt forklift engine. There have been past discussions here regarding the stock thickness of the head. But, I couldn't fine a definitive answer. I would like to be able to measure the head and determine if it has been milled in the past.

Any info out there???

I posted this in another thread, but it was buried near the bottom.

I tried to establish a data base on head mesurement but go no repsonse form owners..the only way you can effectively know what you have and where to go from there in milling is to CC the head..as the block bore and stroke remained unhcanged..this was the single item left in the equation for CR...as the CR increased so would I think the head thickness decreased..now there are a number of casting out there..but I have found a single number on at least two different engines of different era and CR..as to what is stock or not stock..jusry is still out..it seems to remain an unknown science..

Seems this information would have been in the Machinists reference books, perhaps next week I will stop off at the fellw who did my work and see if he has any information regarding this.

Don I am guessing that you measured at on of the head bolt holes.

Seems this information would have been in the Machinists reference books, perhaps next week I will stop off at the fellw who did my work and see if he has any information regarding this.

Don I am guessing that you measured at on of the head bolt holes.

Good idea on the machine shop books. Yes I measured from the flat spot near a head bolt hole to the bottom of the head.