Milled head disaster!!!

95ttoplt1

Hey guys just milled my head and got it back on. It was warped pretty bad (.018) but they took .070 off it.

Well my daughter and I got it all torqued down, put the plugs back and went to fire it up, nothing...

Pulled the plugs and they were all mashed closed :eek:

Did I miss the memo about running a certain plug after milling the head?

Hey guys just milled my head and got it back on. It was warped pretty bad (.018) but they took .070 off it.

Well my daughter and I got it all torqued down, put the plugs back and went to fire it up, nothing...

Pulled the plugs and they were all mashed closed :eek:

Did I miss the memo about running a certain plug after milling the head?

Hell no, they done scalped this sucker, instead of a moderate shave, .030 would have been plenty. Sorry to hear this has happened...

Well suposedly you can take .090 off a stock head. But if it had already been clut or the deck blocked, who can know. Its the valves that would contact the plugs, what plugs are you running??

Champion J12YC, They clear with two gaskets.

But out of curiosity I got out my compression tester, I had 90 psi with oil before I pulled the head. The truck has been sitting since 1975 so it was expected to be a little low till we get it running and get things broke loose again.

Well now I have 180psi with oil!! WTH? Did the dude fall asleep at the mill??

fromthebook.jpg

Soo beer math off this chart shows I now have a 10:1 flathead, awesome.....

Edited by 95ttoplt1

We took .100 of of my head and .010 off of the top of the block. I had to decrease the radii over the valves to prevent them from striking the head in the radii above the valves. I have about 30,000 miles on this setup with out any problems. The AC 45 plugs are what I use and have never had a problem.

Thanks James! I got a set of AC 45's on the way to work today, they are way differnet than what I was running.

What is your cranking compression?

How much oil did you dump into the cylinders when you did your compression check? Too much oil will give a false reading at the oil makes the displacement smaller.

The tips on your hot plugs should not extend further into the cylinder than the cold plugs.

Below is some information on hot plugs verses cold plugs.

Also are you running a stock camshaft? When I installed my re-ground camshaft I used a dial indicator to measure the lift and to insure I would not have a clearance issue.

Scan119June0820082.jpg

Valvelift-1-1.jpg

Edited by Don Coatney

I'm going to start on mu 230 this winter. I have a spare head from a previously rebuilt forklift engine. There have been past discussions here regarding the stock thickness of the head. But, I couldn't fine a definitive answer. I would like to be able to measure the head and determine if it has been milled in the past.

Any info out there???

Whats this metric stuff with our old MoPars. None of my shop manuals for my cars show metric info! I guess I need to raise my Bonnet to measure my sparking plugs.

How much oil did you dump into the cylinders when you did your compression check? Too much oil will give a false reading at the oil makes the displacement smaller.

The tips on your hot plugs should not extend further into the cylinder than the cold plugs.

Also are you running a stock camshaft? When I installed my re-ground camshaft I used a dial indicator to measure the lift and to insure I would not have a clearance issue.

I think I may have gotten a little more oil than I needed, I was thinking about that last night. I'm not too worried for now, I'll run it and let everything lossen back up and then do another test and see where its at. The front two cylinders were at about 90, I gave them maybe two squirts of oil and they came up to about 120, which was what I was expecting.

I kept going and about #4 it didnt seem to respond to the oil, so I gave it two or three more squirts and it jumped to 180. Shocked I started testing the others and the ones that were previously 120 were at 180 now. Not sure but maybe the oil ran off the deck into the cylinders?

The plugs I picked up today are noticably shorter than what I had installed and look like they will clear. Someone must have put the hotter plugs in long ago and since the head was stock(hopefully) they never hit.

Cam is stock.

Whats this metric stuff with our old MoPars. None of my shop manuals for my cars show metric info! I guess I need to raise my Bonnet to measure my sparking plugs.

There are 6 applications for metric threads on all old mopars flatheads. I believe the measurement fits the bill.:cool: