spare tire carrier bolts

ggdad1951

I have in my possesion the ability to remake the proper bolts for the under bed spare tire carrier. Below are pictures of the bolt(s) in question. I think I'd make the first one a bit longer and you'd be able to cut it to the length that works for you (radial tires sit a bit more proud and might require a longer bolt) And/or you might want to toss a cotter pin on it as well so it doesn't vibrate loose on you. Is anyone interested in these as well? If so, I can get a small production of them done most likley. If there is enough interest, I'll get prices for carbon steel as well as SS. Let me know.

2011-11-02181249.jpg

2011-11-08114115.jpg

Edited by ggdad1951

I'm sure a blacksmith could put it back into shape, But Stainless would sure be nice. (and expensive) but plain old steel (I'd powdercoat mine) woud be a good way to go as well. My only thing about a reproduction would that it would have to match the original part exactly. Judjing by the workmanship on your truck, I'd feel safe to say you probably will do an outstanding job.

Please add me to the list,

Hank :)

Mark, I just noticed the bolt shown in yor photo. My carrier is not yet in place so I have to dig in a little bit and find some digital photos I have of a proper original setup. I’m guessing there are two bolts involved one of which (the fixed end) may be your pictured bolt. The other one that goes through the wheel hub is a little different (at least for my B3B) I'll have to photograph and attach a pictures today.

Edited by HanksB3B

I'm sure a blacksmith could put it back into shape, But Stainless would sure be nice. (and expensive) but plain old steel (I'd powdercoat mine) woud be a good way to go as well. My only thing about a reproduction would that it would have to match the original part exactly. Judjing by the workmanship on your truck, I'd feel safe to say you probably will do an outstanding job.

Please add me to the list,

Hank :)

Mark, I just noticed the bolt shown in yor photo. My carrier is not yet in place so I have to dig in a little bit and find some digital photos I have of a proper original setup. I’m guessing there are two bolts involved one of which (the fixed end) may be your pictured bolt. The other one that goes through the wheel hub is a little different (at least for my B3B) I'll have to photograph and attach a pictures today.

I didn't have that one in photobucket, I have that at home and will take a picture of that and upload that over lunch. That one is a straight bolt with a mushroomed head on the end. The one I have pictured is/should be the one that gets the wing nut and goes on the end of the carrier bar that bends up towards the bed. FWIW, my carrier on my B3D has a bolt at each end of the carrier. I had no bolt going thru the wheel hub. I'll try and get some pictures of my carrier set up posted as well to make sure we are all talking the same language for the trucks.

If SS is too spendy, I should be able to get them CAD plated instead.

Edited by ggdad1951

I didn't have that one in photobucket, I have that at home and will take a picture of that and upload that over lunch. That one is a straight bolt with a mushroomed head on the end. The one I have pictured is/should be the one that gets the wing nut and goes on the end of the carrier bar that bends up towards the bed. FWIW, my carrier on my B3D has a bolt at each end of the carrier. I had no bolt going thru the wheel hub. I'll try and get some pictures of my carrier set up posted as well to make sure we are all talking the same language for the trucks.

If SS is too spendy, I should be able to get them CAD plated instead.

Oh yeah you're correct it NOT through the wheel hub :o

Hank :o

The other side bolt-best pic I have... I need a wingnut!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I hope these photos help you guys...

I had my bolts zinc plated before installing them a while ago. I managed to get a few sets done at the time so that I had them for the other trucks when I need them.

The trucks that I have seen here have the mushroom part of the bolt (on your passenger side) to the top and not to the underside of the tyre carrier. This has created a problem for me now as I am unable to remove the bolt (if I wanted to) without removing my outside floor board first. I'm now wondering if the mushroom part of this bolt should have gone in the down position???

I haven't found any good pictures of spare tyre carriers in any manuals yet. I have attached the closest that I found from a Canadian truck manual that I have.

I have noticed that the tyre carriers come in 2 different styles. The one fitted to my 52 truck (pictured) is the straighter version. The other version has a sharper bend to the carrier rail towards the rear of the truck. I thought that I had a picture of them both together showing their differences but can't find it.

Good job on reproducing the bolts Mark.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585364618011_thumb.jpg

post-7583-1358536461833_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585364618607_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585364618963_thumb.jpg

The threaded end goes up and bolts tight to the crossmember with a nut on each side and a cotter pin on the top one. The mushroomed head becomes a pivot so when the wingnut is undone the spare carrier can swing to the back and be unloaded.

I'd like a wing nut please! All else is good down unda.

unfortunatly wing nuts aren't on the menu. Maching them outa billet might be expensive. I'll check, but I doubt it'd be ecconomical.

unfortunatly wing nuts aren't on the menu. Maching them outa billet might be expensive. I'll check, but I doubt it'd be ecconomical.

Aw poop.

If you know of a source for 1/2" wing nuts with oversized wings, let me know.

Just trying to make life easier for when I have to break out the spare. I don't always remember to carry a wrench with me and it would suck to not be able to change the tire!

Aw poop.

Just trying to make life easier for when I have to break out the spare. I don't always remember to carry a wrench with me and it would suck to not be able to change the tire!

yah, I'll model it up an see what it'd cost to machine, the guy I am working with on the bolts is less of a CNC billet part guy as much of a screw machine part guy. MIGHT be able to pull a favor or two at work when we slow down on our Haas machining center and make some there for a case of beer to the machinist.

Ed, thanks for the info. I just went down to the shed to check on my Dodge coupe truck and the longer bolt is fitted as you said. I'll have to remove a bed-board on the 52 to rectify the way that I presently have the longer bolt fitted.

John T, apologies as I thought that I had a spare wing nut for you but then I found that my coupe truck was missing one. I should have another (parts) truck arriving shortly so I'll see what I can do for you. Otherwise, I'll chase up a couple of guys that I know in the bolt trade to see if there's anything similar made out there.

Desotodav

post-7583-1358536466227_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585364662561_thumb.jpg

Aw poop.

John , Here is what I do . I bought a wrench at the flea market for a buck and carry it under the seat . It is always there as it isn't part of my regular set .

John T, you can weld a couple of pieces of round bar to the nut and make your own oversize wing nuts. May not look as pretty as the factory but you can build in some pretty good leverage. then once the reproductions are available, switch them out. Or you can but a cheapo 3/4 inch wrench, cut the open end off and weld the box end to the nut.

Thanks for all the ideas...I think the easiest and cheapest solution is to carry a wrench. Now I just have to remember to do so!

Desotodav, no worries, that would be a long journey across the Pacific for one wing nut to make. Thanks.