6 to 12 volt

azmichael1

After considering all the pros and cons of converting to 12 volt alternator from 6 volt generator that I have read here, and after failed attempts to correct faults with 6 volt generating system , and since I already have the 1 wire 12 volt alternator, new 12 volt battery and some reducers, I have finally decided to convert the system.

What I really need at this point is instructions on exactly how to do this,what needs to be changed, what goes where and part numbers for the components that have to be changed to accomodate the new 12 volt system.

If anyone here has done this procedure,please share your knowledge with me or if anyone happens to know where I might be able to find all this information, that would be a great help as well.

Thanks !

Mike

'48 P-15 Deluxe

Apache Junction, Arizona

Did mine 2 years ago.....Changed all bulbs ( a given), change turn signal flasher, for the fuel gauge I put in series a small light bulb....this stopped the rapid movement of the gauge. gauge works accuratly. The heater motor is still 6 volt and I only run it on low speed. Changed vacume wipers to electric 12 volt. If you were pos ground you will have to swap the wires on the amp gauge. you will have to do something with the radio if you have one...

For the alternator all you have to do is hook the "BAT" wire from the generator voltage regulator to the "POS" on the alternator. It is not a big deal to convert....I also added a fusable link in my system......

Good luck

Personally, if I am going to use a car frequently I will convert. By the time you buy the 00 cables you should be using, the larger 6 v battery your already into 150 bucks. Then after you have let your car sit for 2 or 3 weeks and go to start it you usually grind and grind thinking your out of fuel in the carb- but not so you charge it up overnight and then amazingly it fires right up- at lest that is what happens to me. Then it dawned on me -" If you think it is a fuel problem check your ignition system" -Wendell Mims 1935- 2004-

I am convince that 90 percent of the hard starting is ignition related. On the old 6 volt systems all must be very near perfect to have her fire after sitting. I have an A model 34 plym 50plym and 48 taxi all converted and no problem starting Have varying degrees of trouble starting with the remainder.

That 12 volt shot to the coil from a ford type starter solenoid really is fantastic in getting them to fire

Just my thoughts

Lou

That 12 volt shot to the coil from a ford type starter solenoid really is fantastic in getting them to fire

Just my thoughts

Lou

I agree! I have used that 12 volt shot for many years.

I will not post again how this works. Those who want to know will have to learn to use the search function to find out how this works. I have posted this information too many times.