ebay auto

tinlizzy

Just bought a 46-48 2 door plymouth off ebay. Go to pick it up tomorrow. Had to make the plunge, wife says I'm nuts. Ain't got the truck finished and now you go and buy a car. Ya-ya but it was only $600 couldn't pass it up. May be fun loading it as it is in Lignum, Va. and I think they are getting snow now. Car is suppose to be complete but you know how that is. I'll take some pics and see if I can get them posted when I get back. 6 hour drive one way so it'll be a long day tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Lee

Too many old vehicles?? Never!! I have four oldies and would consider another if I really found what I wanted. My wife is generally supportive but believes my old car habit is really an addiction. I tell her that is true but better that than some other addictions, bar hopping, skirt chasing, etc.:P

Just bought a 46-48 2 door plymouth off ebay. Go to pick it up tomorrow. Had to make the plunge, wife says I'm nuts. Ain't got the truck finished and now you go and buy a car. Ya-ya but it was only $600 couldn't pass it up. May be fun loading it as it is in Lignum, Va. and I think they are getting snow now. Car is suppose to be complete but you know how that is. I'll take some pics and see if I can get them posted when I get back. 6 hour drive one way so it'll be a long day tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Lee

Hey Tinman, there is another ebay Plymouth in Knoxville, you could pick up on the way back from Lignum.:cool:

Well bummer. Drove all the way there and back 14 hrs on the road thru rain and snow and didn't get a car. It was a basket case. Looked like hardware cloth on most panels not visable in the add. Specifically asked the owner about doors, ya solid. Well his idea of solid and mine are no where close. There wasn't one panel on the car that was solid and the leaking windshield had ruined the dash. Lot of chrome that was suppose to be there wasn't, bad deal all around. Old addage if it sounds too good usually is applies hands down here. I knew we were in trouble when I pulled into the yard and the house was surrounded by junk and house was made of plywood. Only thing that wasn't shot were the rear tail light lenses and how they escaped the hammer is a mystery. Back to the drawing board, still looking for a 2 door project that won't break the bank.

Bummer,

I rented a U haul truck and trailer to bring my baby home from 90 miles away. Paid $600 for the car. After three months I realized it was too far gone for me to be able to restore it, so I sold it to someone else. I kept looking, wiser from the experience. About a year later I found the ideal car to start with. Paid $1600 because it was 100% complete, original, minimal rust and all that. Four years of part time restoration, ten years on the road now. The good cars are out there but some times it takes a while to find the right one. Good hunting!

The good cars are out there however I don't think you will find them on E-bay. I had this conversation with some guy's in our club. That venue is now controled by some folks that think different from regular car guy's. You would be better off finding a car in someone's back yard or barn. If you put it out there that you are looking for a car it will come to you.

My first Plymouth cost 50.00 dollars and it was a basket case. I worked it for a month or two then put it out there( In the Universe) that I want ed a better car. A week went by when a guy came to the house and said he found a 1940 Plymouth in a garage accross the highway from me. We went over there and the guy could not wait to get rid of it. 750.00 later minus the 300.00 (the guy who found it wanted the motor that came with it) I had my Plymouth. My car had a brand new 217 that had not been fired. . They are out there:)

I hope you put a knot on his head! Yet ebay will do nothing to him and he will lure some other sucker in, I hate lying scumbags!:mad:

But, I did find this, you would look good in it!;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m748&item=250918347138&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D3872998045915721274

Edited by dezeldoc

That's a serious bummer, sorry you had to find out the hard way. I saw this one on Craigslist in Springfield, Mo. Looks like the guy is ready to deal if you want to start with one that needs a drivetrain.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/2664009310.html

I have chased down a many cars that were no where close to their description..I pretty much figure on the average to find about 50% of what they say is there and servicable..that way you will not be disappointed..everyone want the most for their stuff that they can get..getting it may not be a reality...sad part is that these high asking prices are not negotiable with most folks for they think any old car is worth a fortune...bad part is that this car could be moved today for a reasonable price if but for a parts car..after a couple more years outside, the seller still want that much if not more for it as it has appreciated...then when they have to have a flatbead haul it off due to it will not roll anymore on its own..they realize they should have sold years earlier..

kep looking there are still a few good cars for a fair price to be had..I have found swap meets are a better source..