50 Plymouth update.

Richie Hodge

Hey guys, I haven't been on here much lately but I have a little update on my P 20. Several months ago I bought an overdrive tranny from Lou Earle that he had for years and decided to install it yesterday. I finished it up this morning after doing some other maintenance, grease, tailpipe hanger, etc. I was really surprised when I left my subdivision because the car was moving through 1st and 2nd gears with not a sound from the tranny. It has no gear whine at all. The P 15 that I used to have that I put overdrive in as well, was very good, but not as quiet as this one. I put 90 wt. oil in it for now but after 500 miles or so I will change to a synthetic, same as what the P 15 had. I took my wife for a ride in it when she got home from work and the first thing she said after I put it in OD was "honey we can go on trips with this now, right". My reply was, anywhere you want !! We plan on going to Toronto next September with it to visit some friends. This car drives as good as it did back in 1950 in my estimation, maybe better now with overdrive. I will have to call George Ashe and tell him I'm back with Plymouths now. The Hudsons just sit in the garage. Sorry for the long post, but I'm too exicted not to share.

Maybe I'll surprise ole Don and just show up at his door for coffee one day.

Richie shared this info with me earlier today..glad to hear it is in and running smooth..that is sure one nice driving car that he bought and he is tweaking it ito one dependable daily driver..I felt honored that he let me chauffer him around while I and wife #2 were rode up front..

So the Plymouth with OD is a better road car than the Hudson???

Greg, the Plymouth with overdrive is a great car and I like it better than the others for my own reasons. I drive the Plymouth every day, rain or shine. I cannot say the Plymouth is a better road car than the Hudson. Actually the 50 Hudson is an awsome road car and more comfortable than the others. I just like the Plymouth, it fits me just right. Richie.

If the coffee is not hot when you get here it can be in 5 minutes.

Glad to hear the tranny swap went well. How much for the green Hudson?

That sounds good Don, I will be doing some highway driving in the next few days making sure everything I did was right.

I can't sell the 50 Hudson as Honey likes riding in it. Talk to you later, Richie.