Towing a '47 Fluid Drive

ferdball

I'm helping a buddy move an D24 about 10 miles with a car dolly, and I know with any modern automatic transmission you SHOULD disconnect the driveline, (although some might say if I keep it under 30 and take it easy i'd be ok)

Is there any difference with this fluid drive? Will I be ok to simply put it in neutral and go slow?

I'm not 100% on these trannys so I thought I'd ask. They seem like they are a mix between a manual and auto.

Looking for a quick simple answer as I'm moving it this afternoon.

Thanks a million+1

I have a fluid drive car. I have never towed it, however, I don't think that there would be any problem with towing it. When it is out of gear there is no connection to the engine. The fluid drive unit does not have a pump like a modern automatic transmission so I don't think that anything could be harmed by towing.

Dave

shouldn't be a problem, bu if you decide to take the drive shaft off at the rear end, make sure you put an index mark on the shaft and flange so it goes back on in the correct position. and make sure you secure it tightly to the frame rail. Do make sure you check the diffy lube level.

There is no point taking the drive shaft apart when towing a car equipped with manual transmission. When the lever is on neutral the transmission rolls along just fine.

It is totally different ball game to hydraulic operated automatic.

Fluid drive is just two turbine blades close to each other in oil filled chamber. When the gear is on neutral and engine shut down, neither of the blades does not even turn. If they would turn, the situation would be exactly same as when you drive the car on it's own power.

The self shifting M6 transmission has an oil pump like a modern automatic but it is at the back of the transmission and is driven when the driveshaft is turning. So there is no problem in towing.

The manual 3 speed trans is also self lubricating when being towed.

The fluid drive unit itself runs in an oil bath and is self lubricating.

So, no matter what trans you have it is OK to tow it in neutral without taking off the driveshaft.

Top notch on all the help!

Gently towed it today. MY dolly was a bit more narrow than I like and I had to leave the pin in which keeps the wheels from turning AND I had to strap the steering wheel down, Took it real easy and WIDE turns.

Beautiful Car

(yup thats original paint on a 53k mile car.)

47_01.JPG

Looks like a keeper. Here is a hint for the cleanup of the paint. I have mentioned this to a couple folks and they have reported good results, but at first it sounds crazy.

Go to the grocery store and buy a container of Bon AMI cleanser, or if they don't have that Barkeepers Friend.

Wash the car normally, then when still wet sprinkle some of the cleanser on a 2ftsquare area, and then a bit more on a soft wet cloth, an old hand towel works well. then use it like you would rubbing compound, rinse it, then do the next area.

Do not use any thing but those tow products as they are formulated with feldspar as the abrasive component not silica based stuff. You can even use it to polish the glass and the chrome.

It will remove the oxidation, (might need to do it twice) any rust stains, and restore the finish to a moderate luster that be ready for wax.

BON AMI's advirtising slogan is "HASN"T SCRATCHED YET" and it doesn't.

Give it a try, I think you will be surprised by the results. If you feel uncomfortable with the process just try it on a small area down low on the car.

Looks like a keeper. Here is a hint for the cleanup of the paint. I have mentioned this to a couple folks and they have reported good results, but at first it sounds crazy.

Go to the grocery store and buy a container of Bon AMI cleanser, or if they don't have that Barkeepers Friend.

Wash the car normally, then when still wet sprinkle some of the cleanser on a 2ftsquare area, and then a bit more on a soft wet cloth, an old hand towel works well. then use it like you would rubbing compound, rinse it, then do the next area.

Do not use any thing but those tow products as they are formulated with feldspar as the abrasive component not silica based stuff. You can even use it to polish the glass and the chrome.

It will remove the oxidation, (might need to do it twice) any rust stains, and restore the finish to a moderate luster that be ready for wax.

BON AMI's advirtising slogan is "HASN"T SCRATCHED YET" and it doesn't.

Give it a try, I think you will be surprised by the results. If you feel uncomfortable with the process just try it on a small area down low on the car.

I haven't tried this on my car but I do know that Bon Ami and Barkeeper's Friend are great for non-scratching clean up of delicate kitchen stuff. Sounds to me like it will work. And I have a spot or two on my old car that could use a little work... Maybe I'll have time to try this over the next week or two.

Your car probably could qualify for an "SIA" article-Special Interest Autos. Nice car!

Top notch on all the help!

Beautiful Car

(yup thats original paint on a 53k mile car.)

47_01.JPG

Yes,it is. The more I look at these 4drs,the better I like them.

You might also want to contact the Walter P Chrysler club. I believe maintain a register of Unmolested Survivor cars among all the MOPAR brands.

http://www.chryslerclub.org/

Unfortunately they are difficult to get ahold of and the officers e mails are not listed on the site. You can send a note to the webmaster and he will get you connected tot he proper person in the club.

• 6 years later...

This is great news that I can tow my '47 Windsor w/Fluid Drive using my tow dolly.  All the guys in my car club kept saying I'd run into problems of not lubricating tranny bearing and seals. I guess that isn't the case with these 'unique' transmissions. I love this forum.