ggdad1951 truck project montage: FEF!

ggdad1951

oh yah, I actually DID forget that.

That should almost go into the lessons learned file. I know it had the 3 of us scratching our heads for a minute or two.

• 2 weeks later...

got the rest of my chrome today (well the screws got given to another guy and he's returning them). My wiper mounts are "missing" :( REALLY hoping they show up soon, otherwise I'm sunk on that.

here is the grill badge, some bubbling he warned me of. Figure I'll take it someplace else in a year or so to see if someone else can get it better.

2012-04-30181855.jpg

I don't know if your guy is using the copper laced paint or not to take care of porosity but the companies using it will chrome plastic, fiberglass, animal skulls. The paint should seal the pores and copper is applied, built up and sanded to level the surface before the nickel and chrome dips.

no idea, I know it got copper plated....I'm not too worried, he said it might when I took it in it was pitted bad so I can't go back and complain. I figure at the 50's I can find another vendor to redo it in a year or so. Thi sis the only part I've taken to him that hasn't turned out well.

for certain he only cleaned and plate4d the unit..there was not repair action taken..which may be a good thing for later repair..lots of folks try to grind the pot metal pieces smooth..lot of detail lost and the piee will then appear wavy when plated..resotration of this piece will be very time consuming..that means expensive..

for certain he only cleaned and plate4d the unit..there was not repair action taken..which may be a good thing for later repair..lots of folks try to grind the pot metal pieces smooth..lot of detail lost and the piee will then appear wavy when plated..resotration of this piece will be very time consuming..that means expensive..

considering the number of pits it HAD and looks this good now, means some got "buffed" out and weren't that deep. The DEEP ones are the ones bubbling and should now not be as spendy (I hope). But for now shiney can go on for a year. Gotta have SOMETHING to do once he's on the road, as I'm sure I'll have NOTHING to do after that!

I'm sure I'll have NOTHING to do after that!

Mark,

Ya think so huh?

Hank :)

P.S. Trust me, the unwinding takes a while, you have no idea. Still think you have no catagorizing left to do? Just wait.... you'll see. :D

Oh, the good part of all that is you will be driving your truck. :)

If so that is a shield for under the engine up front below the rad (I think fuel pump side, I'd have to put it in place to make sure).

my truck has that shield, but it's on the driver's side, not the fuel pump side. attaches to the crossmember and frame, sits below the generator (or alternator for those with conversions).

my truck has that shield, but it's on the driver's side, not the fuel pump side. attaches to the crossmember and frame, sits below the generator (or alternator for those with conversions).

I belieive there should be one on EACH side. But I'd bet they got removed a lot (and left off) for ease of working on stuff.

Mark

:D Man oh man that is looking good. It won't be long and you should be able to smell that "new truck" smell. My only criticism (and it isn't really) is that you have set the bar way too high for some of us.

I'll be happy if I can get mine to look similar to the dusty old ranch truck in the "Rounders". ;)

Were you able to get the passenger side door adjusted OK?

Jeff

Definately a beautiful truck. This is one truck I would not use except to sit next to at car shows! It's just too nice to dump a load of rip rap in!

Bob

Mark

:D Man oh man that is looking good. It won't be long and you should be able to smell that "new truck" smell. My only criticism (and it isn't really) is that you have set the bar way too high for some of us.

I'll be happy if I can get mine to look similar to the dusty old ranch truck in the "Rounders". ;)

Were you able to get the passenger side door adjusted OK?

Jeff

:o thanks! Door will get adjusted AFTER I get the fenders on Thursday if I get time, otherwise next week. I NEED to get the fenders on so they are out of my house as I am having a gathering of people next weekend and I can't have those large parts laying around.

several hours later here is where I sit.

1. one cab bolt is hosed, can't loosen the brand new SS bolt back there...just odd.

2. driver fender in front by the rad has cracked next to the old crack along the weld....now when to fix that....sigh

I figure we're about half way to getting it all locked down....to tell the truth, I'm a little frustrated right now.

2012-05-17222706.jpg

Don't be down on yourself Mark. You are doing an excellent job and have a ton to be proud of! Step away, take a break, and reflect on the begining of the project. You've cleared a lot of dusty rust from that truck of yours....tomorrow is coming no matter what and your truck (like the dog) will be happy to see you've come back to play some more. :D

48D

I agree with Tim mate - "don't be down on yourself". You (and Dave) have done a fantastic job on that old truck and I reckon that your great grandad would be grinning from ear to ear! I certainly experienced a few small hiccups along the way during my truck rebuild, but managed to overcome them all.

I'm sure that that good wife of yours can provide you with the balance and stability that you need to see the project through (sorry mate couldn't resist - see attached)!

A big pat on the back from me for the outstanding results you have achieved so far!!!

Desotodav

post-7583-13585368731857_thumb.jpg

You are doing a great job, walk away for a few days, add a few more cases of beer to your notebook and everything will be fine Monday. One of my dads favorite sayings, "Tomorrow is another day".

Todd B

My dad used to say, "The frustrations of the night are never as big with the rising of the sun". I affirm what others have said, take a break, physically and mentally and you'll be ready to go. I'm just amazed at your pension for detail, you'll need a bumper sticker that says, "Not from Detroit or Japan".

I don't know what it is with the steel they used on these trucks, it seems like on these trucks it likes to crack around sharp bends due to it stretching because of the softer steel. My truck had MANY (over 10) cracks/tears in the sheet metal. I tig welded all of them up but on my driver side front fender it cracked again. I ended up having to cut out a 12" x 8" section and I brazed in a patch, its holding strong now!

Mark;

Hang tough buddy. :)

I don't know about the sheet metal......but I have run into problems with stainless steel fasteners in the past. SS can be a mixed blessing and this problem is not that uncommon. Sometimes the threads gall or tear. When that happens it always ends badly. The only real solution for one that is locked up and won't shift is surgery. The first time I ran into this I ended up drilling it out. Cobalt bits are a must.

Jeff

I don't know what it is with the steel they used on these trucks, it seems like on these trucks it likes to crack around sharp bends due to it stretching because of the softer steel. My truck had MANY (over 10) cracks/tears in the sheet metal. I tig welded all of them up but on my driver side front fender it cracked again. I ended up having to cut out a 12" x 8" section and I brazed in a patch, its holding strong now!

WAY back last year, I was going to weld in a support gusset plate in that area for this reason. Guess that is what I'll be doing this fall/winter. I've decided to let it ride for now and deal with it when I have more time.

Mark;

Hang tough buddy. :)

I don't know about the sheet metal......but I have run into problems with stainless steel fasteners in the past. SS can be a mixed blessing and this problem is not that uncommon. Sometimes the threads gall or tear. When that happens it always ends badly. The only real solution for one that is locked up and won't shift is surgery. The first time I ran into this I ended up drilling it out. Cobalt bits are a must.

Jeff

we are going to try inpacts...if not that, well then the cutting wheel or drill bits will be in order. I do think it galled on me...I, by myself tightened it and two guys w/ breaker bars couldn't budge it.....