ggdad1951 truck project montage: FEF!

ggdad1951

Now, if you only had some bolts...... Looks good on there. It's going to cost a small fortune in beer and pizza to keep that much help around.

bolts will be nice...just getting the cab on had me grining almost as much as running the frame around the neighborhood. Still gotta get a bunch of stuff back from plating to get the wiring started.

Gettin it over the steering shaft and shifter looks to be the hardest part!

Nice wrap on the shifter stick!

actually, not that bad, with that many guys I just directed...."forward, down, forward, down, down, forward, etc"....made sure the shifter lined up w/ the steering and she went nice. Just had to push the pedals forward a little was the closest it got.

as requested this is what's on the paint can:

430-22 PERINNDO RED 98.5

430-18 ORANGE 154.1

430-03 H.S. WHITE 163.0

435-94 ACRYLIC BINDER 466.3

FUL-CRYL II ACRYLIC ENAMEL

Nason, division of Dupont, cumulative

Color code is RS910 from the Spectramaster chip book. It won't show it available as a base/clear. It will as "Ful-cryl II Acrylic Enamel SS", substituted the 435-94 acrylic binder in the formula with the base/clear binder

Edited by ggdad1951

Cumulative, in grams, for one pint, Nason enamel. Can goes on the scale with a zero balance, pour in the first toner until it reads whatever the first # is, then the second toner until scale reads second # and so on down the list. Pint of mixed paint weighs somewhere around 450 - 480 grams depending on the weight of the toners and type of balancer or binder.

Edited by Dave72dt

• 5 weeks later...

spent the day white knuckle driving down to dave's for the remainder of the red parts. When I left this morning it was still snowing and the roads were not plowed yet. It rained all day yesterday, so it was quite the drive down. At one point I did start to wiggle but got 'er under control. The drive back wasn't as bad once the roads got clean(er). 5 hours down and 4 hours back.

Fruits of the labor. BTW, Dave does a AWESOME job on his body work. I can't tell at all where the welds are!

2012-01-23190220.jpg

2012-01-23190242.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great, one step closer to the the finish line. You better start putting parts on or you will have to buy a bigger house, maybe a 4 or 5 bedroom.

Have fun sliding the hood back together, you are in my prayers!

Todd B

It takes 3 people and it'll probably peel some paint but it only needs to be done once. Just no good way to work on them without taking them apart or having extra help around to handle them. Didn't find any paint on the hinge section when taken apart so any paint the comes off will make closer to original:rolleyes:

They actually came apart fairly easily so it shouldn't be real bad going back

nice work, dave.

mark, you must be fired up over the "new" body panels. btw, does the "gg" stand for goldengopher?

wally

heh, yah, I'm all nervous now and full of desire to get her back together, but I'm waiting on my chrome parts to come back so I can get the wiring started before the front end goes on.

"gg" stands for "greatgranddad", altho it COULD stand for Golden Gopher:cool:

Let the games begin!

and Mark, feel free to use those historically correct, spiral nails to secure your hood lacing if you want. I used POP :eek: RIVETS there too!

The important part is have fun!

Hank :)

yah, well I have had no luck finding those nails! I can't find the ones I took out and WANT to use the nails!

Restoration Specialties has twisted shank nails, 7/8" PN #7650. Another option, LMC Truck and Dennis Carpenter have cowl lacing kits, 49" long that come with tacks. Tacks as I remember are spiral, drive in and the head is slightly domed. F-1 and F100 take the same kit. Didn't see the tacks listed seperately. Just tell yourself Ford was using Dodge parts to hold their lacing on.

I don't have an original one handy to measure but it seems like one of these would be close

Gauge Size desc_arrow.gifDecimal SizeHead DiameterHead HeightRecommended Hole Size (Drill No.)Length

4.114".256".027".098" (40)11/32"90085A110$6.07 Per Pack of 100

6.138".302".047".116" (32)7/16"90085A2106.39 Per Pack of 100

8.164".307".052".136" (29)7/16"90085A3107.18 Per Pack of 100

10.179".321".058".157" (22)1/2"90085A4108.21 Per Pack of 100

Restoration Specialties has twisted shank nails, 7/8" PN #7650. Another option, LMC Truck and Dennis Carpenter have cowl lacing kits, 49" long that come with tacks. Tacks as I remember are spiral, drive in and the head is slightly domed. F-1 and F100 take the same kit. Didn't see the tacks listed seperately. Just tell yourself Ford was using Dodge parts to hold their lacing on.

yah I got those from Restoration Specialties, and they won't work (too small in "diameter"). I've got lacing already, just need the nails. If I remember right they were like a 1/4" long. I'll check out the ferd stuff.

I don't have an original one handy to measure but it seems like one of these would be close

Gauge Size desc_arrow.gifDecimal SizeHead DiameterHead HeightRecommended Hole Size (Drill No.)Length

4.114".256".027".098" (40)11/32"90085A110$6.07 Per Pack of 100

6.138".302".047".116" (32)7/16"90085A2106.39 Per Pack of 100

8.164".307".052".136" (29)7/16"90085A3107.18 Per Pack of 100

10.179".321".058".157" (22)1/2"90085A4108.21 Per Pack of 100

sure, I just placed an order w/ McMaster today already....rats!

wow, I just put my door latches and window regulators back in. This stuff sure goes back together easier than taking it apart the first time!