ggdad1951 truck project montage: FEF!

ggdad1951

(True Story) At the hardwood lumber business I work at. A Los Angles County building inspector told me yesterday that people in Hollywood and Beverly Hills don't understand why they can't build 1,600 square foot tree houses for their kids. Somehow they can't grasp that trees move and connections do not always stay connected especially in a seismic zone. 

Hank  :P

Thank you for showing us how its done.  The right amount of dedication, planning and small compromises to get that truck going!  I don't mean to worry you, but I had the goodyear wranglers like you have on the back of the truck.  One went flat in the driveway and when I went to get it repaired, the flat and all three others were split all around the inside.  Goodyear shop claimed it was from overloading, but they are on a Ranger.  Talked to another buddy that owns a tire shop and he says its from too much synthetic in the rubber.  Ozone cracking is what he called it.  The tires were only three years old.  Hate to see those amazing fenders banged up by a crappy tire.  You may be okay as its not operated in low temps, but keep an eye on them.

• 6 months later...

<parts request removed>

And wow what a great job you have done on yours.

Edited by ggdad1951

• 2 weeks later...

Would you tell me where you had your dash restored so perfectly ? Please and Thank You

Best Regards,

Charlie Stephenson

Des Moines, IA. 50310-2660

515-276-7877

charlesj123@msn.com

Charlie, my dash looks good because of several things. One was FEF was in awesome shape to begin with. Second all the knobs are NOS I searched for for 4 years, as are the knob bezels. Gauges were just taken apart and gently cleaned. Parts that got rechromed I took to a local shop. Really I got lucky with reason one.

My temp and oil are different than yours, Mint be because my truck is a B 3 YA Big Dodge = very BIG project! L & R Fender molding ( panel) and fenders have been cut off level with the top of the bumper. Bumper is off a ??????????????? and welded to the frame, not a problem, but a long front end would be time saving. My English Wheel is still in the crate, as it my experience in using it. No Hill For A Climber. This week is Full Wed trip to KC MO road trip, parts run. 07/01/2017 volunteering at Good Guys. Ruth is working at the Coney Corner across from the Horse Barn. Next planning to head North past the cities 2 see ya.

We need pics Charlie....

He won't post on the other thread either!

I agree start your'e own thread Charlie.

• 7 months later...

RARE year I can take FEF out for a drive one day after my birthday.  No snow left of note and a good solid day of rain to get the salt off the roads followed by 3 days of 60° weather...had the heater on tho....who knows how to tell?

2017-02-23 17.22.59.jpg

2017-02-23 17.28.37.jpg

2017-02-23 17.31.15.jpg

2017-02-23 17.33.23.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Sadly I could not attend Friday Back to the 50's,  but spent a good deal of time there yesterday.  My knee is having issues so not much walking around, but I ran into lots of friends and met a few casual posters here.  I saw Mike's truck with his dually conversion and it looks sweet!  Met a casual poster that has a nice old B1 or B2 with some interesting mods.  In order the pics are of waiting in line, at the show, a humpy!, a panel, a B4 on a frame swap and FEF's first real rain shower (No leaks!).

20170624_051440.jpg20170624_132429.jpg.6de8105059564769375180e76211b7fe.jpg20170624_081321.jpg.676deea874e0aa6195514ec5a6c06a1c.jpg20170624_095058.jpg.d0f1f88f5463052d03d97f243fc214ed.jpg20170624_110458.jpg.0ddb3cc4f97ad19d6fe1a833c20498d9.jpg20170624_150036.jpg.7a4a9bbd88fc819ded74eb6f02439cb4.jpg

• Like 7

Nice looking 1 ton you have there ggdad1951. I see your pic of the dash and it looks like the flathead is turning at about 2500 RPM's or so.  What third member ratio do you have? Do you still have the 230 in it or have you re-engined it with a 25" motor. Again nice looking rig.

I have the original 4.13 in him, and the engine is just a 218.  Engine was replaced way back when.  At 55 indicated I'm turning 2500 rpm, I can edge up to 60 indicated but weird sound and steering starts, so I stay around 58 indicated which is likely 55 true.

So Ed came over the other night to help pull the fender off FEF to get it stripped and repainted.  I was worried that the body caulk I used as a gasket would be tough on removal.  Turns out after bolt removal as Ed moved in the bed the fender fell off right on to the tire!  FEF is going to be in the Concours d'Elegance at the end of July and is getting some stuff fixed up.

20170630_181711.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I just read through your whole thread Mark.  Wow!  I'm just about speechless.  And here I am excited about putting a carb kit, battery, and new cables in my truck and thinking I'm special LOL.  My goodness, great work!  I am truly humbled after reading through this thread.   I hope to meet you in person this year at one of these shows, and see your beautiful truck!

John

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

I just read through your whole thread Mark.  Wow!  I'm just about speechless.  And here I am excited about putting a carb kit, battery, and new cables in my truck and thinking I'm special LOL.  My goodness, great work!  I am truly humbled after reading through this thread.   I hope to meet you in person this year at one of these shows, and see your beautiful truck!

John

you just gotta come up to the cities!