ggdad1951 truck project montage: FEF!

ggdad1951

I've been meaning to start a thread with pictures of the progrss on the B-3-D 1 ton. So better late than never.....

picking up the truck

DSCF1608.jpg

Driving down the highway

DSCF1610.jpg

original tailgate

tailcropped.jpg

Starter tags original and reman

2011-03-03150445.jpg

rear diff and axle

2011-03-26182318.jpg

front end

2011-04-10163236.jpg

• Like 3

taking the truck for it's maiden voyage!

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x365/ggdad1951/?action=view&current=downthedriveway.mp4

passenger view of a ride!

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x365/ggdad1951/?action=view&current=benview.mp4

parts in Dave's garage/shop

parts loaded up to head to Dave's for body/paint

2011-08-16072556.jpg

2011-08-16130319.jpg

stainless pedal springs

2011-10-11184733.jpg

Nice job-real nice job. I liked it the way you found it-what a piece to start off with. Mike

• Like 1

It's as nice a piece as you're likely to find here in the upper Midwest for a working vehicle but definitely needed some attention. Time had faded the original red to pink and moisture has left it's signature along with some bruises from working. The red is a match to the original paint using a buffed section of the back of the radio delete panel and glove box door so it's as true to the original color as I can get.

Original color code doesn't interchange with anybodies modern paint system but if anyone wants the code I used, I'll be happy to share.

• Like 1

Looks great, I hope over the next few summers to start the finishing body work on my truck, that red looks great! I'm guess nobody can match the old enamel paints anymore and with all water based auto paints taking over I'm guess it will get furth and furth away to a true match. Luckily for me I went with armour coat zesty orange for now... It's easy to get and match : p

Damn iPhones! I swear my computer posts make more sense!

Edited by 4mula-dlx
iPhones suck
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hope you found another tail gate and saved the original as "folk art". I love those bumper stickers. Amazing work. Looking forward to the finished product. Mopar will be proud!!!

Edited comment: I was visiting with some artist friends today and showed them the tail gate. They agreed that that gate has to be saved. Hope were not too late. Your restoration work is a treat to see, keep us informed.

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I hope you found another tail gate and saved the original as "folk art". I love those bumper stickers. Amazing work. Looking forward to the finished product. Mopar will be proud!!!

Edited comment: I was visiting with some artist friends today and showed them the tail gate. They agreed that that gate has to be saved. Hope were not too late. Your restoration work is a treat to see, keep us informed.

folk art tailgate is on the garage wall, not going anywhere.

Man I wish I could do mine like that! For now, it's rust converter and primer. Need to save up about 1500 just to get my drip rails fab'd and replaced!!!

That tail gate...do you have more pics? I like the one with the stylized bull at the upper right...classic!

Edited by John-T-53

Man I wish I could do mine like that! For now, it's rust converter and primer. Need to save up about 1500 just to get my drip rails fab'd and replaced!!!

That tail gate...do you have more pics? I like the one with the stylized bull at the upper right...classic!

what kind of picture do you want? I can take more, it don't cost nuthin'!

At the least, use an epoxy primer,or sealer. Some primer are actually porous, allowing moisture to seep through and rust to reappear. Even if you can't spray, you can mix primer and roll it on.

Mark - get a close up of the bull! Curious as to what the text says.

Dave - right, some "auto primer" I used to spot treat rust on the outside eventually rusted through again, but those areas have now been painted to match. Now working inside around the roof, inside the doors and body cavities with rust converter followed by 2 coats of por-15. This works well but requires lots of tedious labor, and it's messy. If I could, I'd dip it!

your truck looks great keep posting progress. whats the red and black truck down the street from you it looks pretty good too.

I believe that would be my 46. I was there the day Mark's "truck" took its first drive. I say "truck" as it was only the frame! I even went with on the first ride.

DSC00524.jpg

Ah, now that's an interesting confession Ed. I don't recall Mark making any admissions to the offence as he was trying to avoid the long arm of the law! Is your statute of limitations for simple offences 12 months over there, as it is here?

Great looking truck Ed. And yours is coming along very nicely too Mark.

Desotodav

Ah, now that's an interesting confession Ed. I don't recall Mark making any admissions to the offence as he was trying to avoid the long arm of the law! Is your statute of limitations for simple offences 12 months over there, as it is here?

Great looking truck Ed. And yours is coming along very nicely too Mark.

Desotodav

Thanks! Simple traffic violations seem to be if they don't see it in the act they don't care.