1954 Fargo 1 ton tires?

mpn23748

I have recently purchased a 1954 Fargo dual wheel 1 ton with 17" wheels with 7.50-17 tires, I have found this to be a hard tire to replace. does anyone know of any newer tubeless 16" rims that would fit the 6 hole bolt pattern, or of any additional tires other than the ones that Coker tires have. thanks

Universal tire has them but not cheap link below. Some of the early 60's dodge ,ford and ih 1 ton trucks should have 16" wheels that fit but most that I have seen are the loose/split ring type which is not a big problem but they usually need to be serviced by truck tire shops

https://www.universaltire.com/truck-and-military/truck.html?p=2

I have had no luck at local tire shops, I did see the ones on Coker Tires website not cheap, I will look into the e60's Dodge, Ford, & IH trucks. Does anyone know of a conversion hubs to the later 8 bolt t rims

yes I did not much luck with trailer tires, Coker tires has STA or Tornels tires, might have to go that route, I am going to check the next UPS truck that comes to our shop to

A drop center 16" rim (if one were available for the 6 bolt pattern) won't fit over the drums on a 1 ton. I'm in the same boat as you! I do have a couple of 16.5 locking ring rims if that helps you at all, but they're going to need some work. I've bought tires before from Universal and will again-good folks to deal with, and haven't had a problem with their products yet. If you're not running duals in the rear, another source of rims is the deep offset 6 hole Budds from the military version of the Jeep truck used during the 60's and 70's. Perhaps some are available NOS from a surplus outlet. Mike

Edited by MBFowler

I have recently purchased a 1954 Fargo dual wheel 1 ton with 17" wheels with 7.50-17 tires, I have found this to be a hard tire to replace. does anyone know of any newer tubeless 16" rims that would fit the 6 hole bolt pattern, or of any additional tires other than the ones that Coker tires have. thanks

I'm pretty sure I still have 4 or 5 16 inch rims and tires off a 1960 Ford 1 ton,but they are split rims. Not as desirable as the more modern rims,but once you get tires mounted on them there is nothing wrong with them,either. They were used for decades.

The problem with mine is they are in NC,and you are in Canada. Look in local junk yards for 1 ton pre-1967 Ford trucks.

Some older Dodge motorhomes (late 60's early 70's Travco and others) have the one piece 6 lug 16 inch wheels. Around here I found most rural small town tire shops carry the correct 17 inch tires (expensive) and are not afraid to deal with split rims.

I have a 76 Champion motorhome and the front spindles will interchange with the spindles on my 62 d3OO (same kingpin part number), and the rear end is a bolt in swap giving discs on the front, good highway gears on the back and one piece 16 inch tubeless 10 bolt wheels. Got the motorhome for $200 with a good running 440.

Edited by PatS....