Brakes

Lately my front right while started sticking and pulling a bit, this weekend, the right front brake would nearly lock up when just touching the brake pedal. Is this a failing or malfunctioning wheel cylinder, or is something else going on? All the other brakes work normally.

Or you might look at the opposite side, one locking up may be doing the work of both, here again leaking wheel cyclinder juicing the brake pads and not grabbing. Just a thought.

I agree i would pull both of front drums i have seen that exact thing happen before on drum brakes. Butch

If you've got a front brake locking up I'd also check the back brakes to make sure that they're working. I've seen that in a truck a few years back. Chances are if you got a cylinder crudded up or leaking the others may not be in much different shape. I'm in the process of replacing all of my cyls and lines right now. Mike

A year ago I replaced all the hoses, rebuilt the wheel cylinders, and put in a new master cylinder. I don't see any signs of leaking (including the level in the master cylinder stays the same). I will pull the drums this weekend and have a looksee. The other brakes seem to be fine.

A year ago I replaced all the hoses, rebuilt the wheel cylinders, and put in a new master cylinder. I don't see any signs of leaking (including the level in the master cylinder stays the same). I will pull the drums this weekend and have a looksee. The other brakes seem to be fine.

Sounds like mine, all new brakes but RF will lock at the touch of the brakes on occasion.

I'd be interested to see what you find or if I get to mine first I'll let you know what I find

It's a smaller problem than you think. It's just that with the toe and heel adjustment too much toe causes the wedgie effect. Without jacking the truck up just get under there with the proper wrenches and readjust a little by feel

do be familiar with what tightens and loosens the tolerance between the pad and shoe.

It's been a while,

Hank :)

hmmm.......I think my truck is messing with me. I drove it this weekend and had no brake issues at all. It definately isn't leaking though. I wish I had one of the brake gauges to properly adjust them. I used a method listed in this forum for adjusting without the guage, it took a long time, and until the brake locking situation they seemed to work fine. I will look at the adjustment again.

Since we are on the topic of brakes, I am looking for some replacement shoes for the front (10 inch) shoes for a B3B 1/2 ton. I have watched ebay but have not found any 10 inch.

Here ya go.

Roberts are cheaper as there is no core charge.

http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/truck_parts.asp?Action=search&c=Trucks+%2D+Brake+Parts

http://www.hagensautoparts.com/1953/DODGE+-+Truck/B4B+1%2502F2ton+217.8-6cyl+108wb/BRAKE+-+Cylinders%2C+hoses%2C+kits+%26+shoes/All/

• 3 months later...

I'm in the process of doing complete brake job on a '48 D24. Have rebuilt master and all 6 slaves, replaced all hard lines, replaced hoses, had shoes relined and drums turned. I have 3 differnent lengths of the push rods that go between the slave and the shoe. What's up with that? Does anyone have a complete set of the ones I should have? Next have to adjust brakes (major and minor) add fluid (Dot 5?). When I go to adjust major the bolt tightens. Is that right? Thnks , Bruce

• 3 weeks later...