OT - Car issues - OT

John Mulders

A while ago I mentioned the technical inspection on the island.

I would expect a little leeway for classic cars as I experienced that at that time but today I was flabbergasted.

All cars seem to have issues lately. The Toyota Rav of my wife was now running real bad (like on 3 cylinders). Will be looked this Wednesday (presumably the coil) as also the front wheel suspension is making noises due to bad road conditions here.

My F150 needed a technical inspection so I made an appointment.

My wife didn't want to drive the Rav so she took the Toyota Corona (we keep for our boys). She needed to go with one of the dogs to the vet.

I was on my way to the inspection when she called as she just arrived at the vet and steam was coming out under the bonnet.

As the inspection is close by I told her that I would come by after the inspection, she would take the dog in.

Inspection took a bit of time, wrong queue (seemed the more thorough checkup).

When it was my turn the guy checked lights etc and then got in , drove a few meters to check the brakes. Then called over another inspector as there is a crack in the frontwindshield (for many years).

He finally got out and told me that there was a problem....

Ok, I said, what is it (expecting that I needed to replace the windshield or that the brakes were not good enough).

He said , come over and showed me the rear license plates lights.

They worked fine but years ago one of the puppies chewed away on plastic (mudguards etc). So these lights were exposed and would shine backwards. That was no good and needed to be fixed.

But, he continued, this guy here can help you, he can spray it black so only the plate will be illuminated.

Sure, I said, that is fine with me, so 10 minutes later I paid the guys 3 US$ worth of coins and I got my technical approval.

Funny island !

So then to the vet to check , the engine bay was sprayed but I could not detect any tubes that were torn. So we left the car there, took the dog home (she is fine) and went to work.

So we just went back, poured some water in the radiator but could not detect any leaks. Decided to drive back home (10 minutes) and temperature was still fine.

Then at home filled it up a bit more and then the radiator started to become wet from the top. First thought that I spilled but then saw that the soldered part on top was split open.

That was an easy to find thing. Now see whether this can be fixed without spending too much dough !

All in all a very busy day with the cars.

John